+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Publishing my salary in General; I think it hit home with a group here when I was sitting in the staff room having lunch when ...

Thank Post
    I think it hit home with a group here when I was sitting in the staff room having lunch when one of the teachers was talking about their new home they had just bought & her mortgage. One of them obviously thought it would be nice to include me as they asked if I was looking at getting my own place soon. The reply from me of "Your mortgage payment is more than my monthly salary, so not any time soon" kind of put a stop to the conversation for a bit.
    After that the group seemed a lot more considerate so it can help but I wouldn't email your slip around. If that person had said to me about being on 25k when I wasn't I would have laughed at them. a full hearty, roll on the floor, laugh and upon eventually stopping say "Ohh you were serious. Oh dear" and walk off.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SUSIT View Post
    I'm an ICT Technician on the crap salary of £13k pa.
    I'm expected to look after 500+ PCs and Laptops, printers, stock control, projectors, SIMS, network, web site, video, cameras, music keyboards and software etc etc.
    Haha, sounds familiar, but add disaster recovery implementation and planning, CCTV supervision, Security system maintenance and joint responsibility for the BMS, and a job description that now comes to 4 pages, for slightly more (and I do mean slightly). Such is education! I was on 13k before I went 52 week - are you on a 52 week contract?

The staff are always rather shocked when they find out, and while a little more would be good, it's not the end of the world. Personally, I'd say don't even think of the mail lark, it'd be a "nail your arse to the wall" type action, and in this school you'd be in breach of the AUP I feel!

Of COURSE the staff aren't IT experts - that's OUR job. I find (and no offence to any teachers) that the rule is "common sense in inverse proportion to qualifications". If it has a plug, it's IT's problem. If it has any form of computer (including cars), I get to deal with it as a rule. Teachers are a rather unique breed in a lot of respects.

As to "if I wanted to I could..", yes, so could we all. In fact we here could also open the building roof in a rainstorm, lock open all windows and lock off all heating in sub-zero winters, pretty much knock everything out etc from home. Hence the phrase "with great power comes great responsibility". Just because you CAN do something, does NOT mean you should.

Thank Post
    I'm expected to look after 500+ PCs and Laptops, printers, stock control, projectors, SIMS, network, web site, video, cameras, music keyboards and software etc etc.
    That's a lot of kit. How many pupils on role, secondary/college?

Thank Post
    Take a look at your contract and compare it to what you do now. If you have the same contract then there is not a lot you can do as you have already agreed to work on this wage. If your contract is drastically different from what you do (which I asusme it is) then highlight everything that is over and above your payscale and take that to your SMT with the point that these are the things that you have taken on which should carry a higher payscale and warrent a review. If they still refuse to give you a fair review, then you can state without extra money (or at least review) you will not do the extra tasks as you are not employed to do them. You can also state that because you are not employed to do them you should not have access to them (SIMS, Servers, Switches etc) as you may be breaking differing laws such as Data protection etc.

Please note going down this route should only be done as a last resort as it could label you a trouble maker. However if you feel strongly enough that people do not understand your role and respsonsibility, it may only be once you have highlighted everything "extra" you have been doing since starting your job that they realise the role has developed. As you have said people only see you changing toner or plugging in a laptop and think that that's all you do, so you need to educate people of the responsibility you have.

If people still wont look at increasing your pay, stay professional then learn all you can while looking for another job.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You don't mention how old you are or your experience...not that age should matter, but it is realistic to start on a lower wage if you are just out of school.

It has taken me 10 years to get to 25k and 3 job changes, apprentice (11k), technician (started at 13k, ended at 16k) and then network manager (started at 19k, now 24.5k), Around 3 years in each job!

I'm at the top of where I can get to at the moment, next step will be a bigger school!

Thank Post
    They won't realise your worth till you leave - I have been in same postion before - don't know why heads can't always appreciate the job IT techs do. After I left previous school network crashed 9 months later just before ofsted due to updates and antvirus not being looked after.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SUSIT View Post
    I'm an ICT Technician on the crap salary of £13k pa.
    From what I can gather I'm the lowest paid member of staff except for the cleaners. Problem is that no-one believes this - one teacher said that I must be on at least £25k and should stop complaining!
    So, I was considering scanning my salary slip and emailing it to all staff in order to clarify my position and help them realise what a great deal they're getting.
    Now I understand that if I was on a decent salary then the school wouldn't like this as it could cause arguments and resentment among the rest of staff but since I'm the lowest paid then this issue wouldn't arise.
    Since my salary is my own business then I feel that I can do what I want with it.
    I can't see that it's a sacking offence although I'm sure that the Head and his cronies wouldn't be pleased.
    What do you think?
    SUSIT, you don't mention how long you've been in the job, but if that is Sandy, Bedfordshire, then I'd suggest you get onto job websites.

Over the last few months, I have continually received emails from these about jobs as a techy in Bedford, I think that it's on jobsite, or cv-library. These pay around £20-£25K, and by the looks of it, you would be eminently able to do it. The only reason I don't take the job is the commute from Suffolk would be a bit much!!!

Keep looking, keep your chin up, and don't do anything silly, just because you KNOW you are undervalued. There is no better feeling than leaving somewhere, for a better job.

I wish you well!
    Last edited by aerospacemango; 5th October 2010 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Put job website names in!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Reading this thread I see no mention of asking your Union. If you are looking for a decent Union I can recommend the no strike Teachers’ union, National union teachers, Education union, Union for teachers | Voice I have asked them a few questions since joining them and found their advice well worth the membership fee.

Thank Post
    I'm in Bedfordshire, and I keep getting offered work in London, Reading and Oxford.... Just once I'd like one as close as Bedford!

If you are in the Sandy/Bedford area, drop me a PM and I'll hunt around on some old memory sticks. I was a High School IT techie, circa 500 PC's 1100 students and did basically the same work, Term time only and was an L3/L4. The average in our area is L4/5. I had a collection of IT technician job roles in the eastern regional area all of them paying L4/5/6 payscales, but I MIGHT have deleted them recently.

Unfortunately you'll have to just stick with it. Gather the evidence, anything you already do that is not in your JD, log it. Any jobs that come up for more money, make sure you keep a copy of the advert. Don't forget to apply for ones that you can travel to!
    Gather it all together as one big package over a few months, then present it. If you ask for a review, I'm fairly sure they aren't allowed to refuse it, as that's the whole point of a review; to find if there is a problem. They SHOULD do the review, but there is no guarantee you will get anything out of it, and in most other circumstances, I'd say that sometimes reviews can result in a pay cut, but by the sound of it that is impossible!

Thank Post
    Not quite the same, but this I believe is relevant:

Database and Network Administrator Job in Hemel Hempstead HP1 1TX, Home Counties UK

Slightly too far for me to travel for that money, shame as looks like a good school to work in!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    A brave move to publish your wages. It seems you are fighting the same kind of issue I am having. If you want to make an impsct work to rule and follow all the correct procedures with each and every job. Examine your job description and do nothing not specifically writtne down under H&S rules. If you agreed to do the job for 13K and the work has been added to the original job you have a case for arguing up your pay.

Good luck

(email addy taken out due to privacy issues - please pm him )because I am making a study of these for my own case for Job Evaluation at Stage 2.
    Last edited by witch; 10th October 2010 at 08:14 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12