+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Politically correct? in General; In this day and age, adults are always making sure everyone is equal and (in my opinion) fuss too much ...

Thank Post

Politically correct?

In this day and age, adults are always making sure everyone is equal and (in my opinion) fuss too much about making sure children know that everyone is different and to be aware of disabilites, beliefs etc and not to discriminate. My daughter (who's 12) had some homework which was to find out lots of facts regarding a well known mathematician. She's done a poster on Dr Stephen Hawking detailing a lot of facts about what he did when and has not once mentioned his disabilities. She is perfectly aware he has them, just didn't see the need to point them out. As far as I'm concerned that is more politically correct than pointing them out and saying 'but that's fine'.

Stuart

2. 3 Thanks to Jawloms:

bossman (30th September 2010), ICT_GUY (30th September 2010), korifugi (1st October 2010)

Thank Post
    You must be very proud of your daughter - you taught her well, as she can see past the disabilities.

Thank Post
    I agree, I hope one day my child has similar values

Thank Post
    Well done that child.

Kind of reminds me of an episode of South Park where the kids have to design a new flag for South Park
    Last edited by Hightower; 30th September 2010 at 01:55 PM.

Thank Post
    I am very proud of her, and it reminded me of exactly the same episode of South Park!

Thank Post
    Although in Hawking's case you could argue that ignoring his severe disabilities downplays his outstanding achievements

Thank Post
    very well done there. that is exactly how things should be IMO

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by timzim View Post
    Although in Hawking's case you could argue that ignoring his severe disabilities downplays his outstanding achievements
    How exactly? They're outstanding achievements. His illness has nothing to do with it. They're not somehow greater achievements because he's disabled, nor would they be lesser if he were able-bodied.

It's not ignoring his disability, it's simply realising that it has nothing whatsoever to do with the theories he's propounded.

Thank Post
    I went to one of his lectures a few years ago - the sheer effort it took him to be able to deliver the lecture was phenomenal. At the end he took questions from the floor, each taking at least five minutes for him to answer as he can move so little of his body and he had to type his answer into his speech synthesiser. I certainly left with a far greater admiration for him since a lesser man would have given up long ago.

Thank Post
    That would be my take on it. The man is simply a genius in every right, and those achievements alone will see him set as one of the greatest scientific minds ever.

A study of his scientific/mathematic achievements does not require mentioning his disability.

A study of the man and his life in general though should not exclude it. His achievements in overcoming them, and his sheer determination in everything he does is a quality rarely seen in any person.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 760 Posts
    "Human being" and this is what my wife and I have always brought our children up to believe.

Its only grown ups that point out a persons disabilities to children and they think they are educating them by doing this, what stupidity as children don't have any hangups at all about other people who are not the same as themselves, to them they are just "Human beings".

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    "Human being" and this is what my wife and I have always brought our children up to believe.

Its only grown ups that point out a persons disabilities to children and they think they are educating them by doing this, what stupidity as children don't have any hangups at all about other people who are not the same as themselves, to them they are just "Human beings".
    Bossman's spot on with this. My little niece has just started nursery, and it doesn't matter whether the other children are of different race/colour, sit in a wheel chair, or have 3 legs. She plays with them all like there's no tomorrow, without even thinking to ask "why's X like that?".

Thank Post
    They do notice differences at times. I remember watching some programme years ago where they were interviewing a guy in a wheelchair. He'd said he was at an airport and this little girl of about 6 started looking at him, and the mother pretended to have not noticed him. He said 'the little girl went "Mummy" and you could see the mothers face fall. "Why's that man got long hair?"'

Thank Post
    Kids will notice differences but they will still see the person as equal, as they know no prejudice, which is how people naturally are. Racism/prejudice is taught

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    Kids will notice differences but they will still see the person as equal, as they know no prejudice, which is how people naturally are. Racism/prejudice is taught
    Not quite true - an affinity for those who are similar is partly instinctive, but actual xenophobia is a different matter. Often the instinctive dislike of the different is minor except under times of stress/lack of resources, where the primacy of the tribe surfaces.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast