+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Jury service in General; Not happy - got my jury service letter today Panicing about a few things - will I get paid, as ...
    Thank Post

Jury service

Not happy - got my jury service letter today Panicing about a few things - will I get paid, as sole techie in school who will do my job (and I'm currently very busy) and will I manage to keep my absolute hatred and contempt for the UK's legal system to myself?

Thank Post
    You might be able to defer during term time. I believe teachers can, and maybe support staff come under the same rules.

Thank Post
    Yes you will get paid, don't worry you won't end up out of pocket. Even if your employer doesn't pay you, you can claim loss of earnings from the court by getting your employer to fill out a form. They pay you very quickly. You can also claim travelling expenses and a food allowance. There are limits on the loss of earnings, but I think they're quite high and are unlikely to affect anyone in a averagely paid job.

My recommendation - enjoy it, if you can of course as some cases can be pretty grim. It's a priveledge to do in my opinion, and the one time you have a direct say in the legal proceedings of this country, however small it may be, so make the most of it!

Mike.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,635 Posts
    Will you get paid?
    You do get 'paid' for Jury service, but it's not as much as your hourly rate would normally be probably. Your employer is not bound to make up the difference.

Who will do your job?
    That's a difficult one. Your LA may help your school with cover. You may end up with little or nothing to do when on jury service and be able to go back and get some stuff done.

Our caretaker did jury service about 18 months ago. He didn't actually do anything at all for the first 3 days as there was a trial still going on from the previous week. He had to go in each day and hang around for a while and then got sent home. (Advice = take a book!) He then had stuff to do taking him up to the Thursday of Week 2. Trials are not normally started on a Friday, so that was the end of his jury service.

will I manage to keep my absolute hatred and contempt for the UK's legal system to myself?
    This triplet will have to lend you her share of the patience gene

This is quite helpful: hmcs - Information about Jury Service

The attached hmrcs allowances document took so flaming long to download from their website, I've uploaded it here... it's quicker!

Pay from HMRC's point of view: HM Revenue & Customs: Employee goes on jury service
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jury service-juror_allowances_e.pdf  
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 29th September 2010 at 08:38 PM.

5. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

chrbb (29th September 2010)

Thank Post
    Mmm might not be out of pocket then, must admit I have a slight concern that no doubt the school will find someone that's 'quite good with computers' you know the person that everyone knows that mends computers, to do my job whilst I'm not there.

Thank Post
    Make sure you set up the servers with logmein so you can at least manage them from the nearest coffee bar if necessary.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,410 Times in 1,694 Posts
    I do hope you decide to do it - it might well give you an insight into our legal system that could be useful. It is often the case that middle-class intelligent, educated people, particularly women, manage to get out of jury service which means that we are not represented properly in the jury system.
    As for your computers -logmein is a good idea, as is making sure that noone has the admin password but there is an acct which people can use to change passwords etc.
    And patience? This triplet doesnt have much, but what I do have, is yours....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    They do class school holidays as holiday - so you could get out of it this way! i know one of our very jammy assistant heads did this!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    I would love to do Jury Service - in fact they could stick me on a huge drawn out case which could take months. I would love it - not a stupid computer in sight. Would make a change from showing people how to do something for the zillionith time.......
    No sound ? Oooo look, volume turned down. Nothing on the screen ? Ooooo look, try turning it on. IWB not working ? Oooo look, here is the tutorial I E-mailed to everyone, it's also on the staff notice board and it's also the TOP knowledge base link on Spiceworks......
    Months without having wipe bottoms - that would be heaven.

So please please please please please please please - I want to do Jury Service, and the longer the better. Pick me !! For the love of God, PICK ME !!!
    Last edited by mattx; 29th September 2010 at 10:50 PM.

11. Thanks to mattx from:

tech_guy (30th September 2010)

Thank Post
    My Mum was on jury service a few years ago... Coroner's Court.

It was every bit as bad as you might imagine * shudders *

Thank Post
    My mom was on a few weeks ago in Leeds.

First 3 days she didn't get called.. day 4 told not to come in.
    The following week she got a 2 days trial and then afterwards they said she didn't have to come back. Asked to come for 2 weeks and only did 2 days.. she was sooooo bored.

Another set of jurors got a 6 weeker... she was gutted

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    That would be bliss for me - 6 weeks !!! I can only dream..................

Thank Post
    They seem to like me for some reason, been called up twice in the 3 years I have been eligable! But fortunatly I wasnt selected to acctually be on the jury, still a waste of 3 days each time :-/ Agree on taking a book... You'll spend most of your time hanging around.
    They are good at paying you though, very efficent for a change!

Thank Post
    I've done it twice! Once for the criminal court and once for the coroners court. It was so interesting. and as for your views on the UK legal system, as Witch says, now is your chance to see its inner workings and be a part of it. It might change your opinion.

Thank Post
    Think of it as a DR / Big Red Bus test for the school. Get a local NM (who you trust / is within throttling distance) to act as backup while you're on jury service.

Since "the bloke who mends everyone's PCs" is unlikely to be CRB'd, that's not a concern I'd worry about (unless there's spare staff to chaperone them everywhere all day?)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast