+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Steps for Network Manager wanting to teach a class... in General; One of the other important things to remember is your insurance. Make sure you are covered by your union. Do ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One of the other important things to remember is your insurance. Make sure you are covered by your union. Do *not* rely purely on the school for it as if there is a difference of opinion about whether you took appropriate action then the school could leave you out on the limb to protect themselves.

Thank Post
    I hope in to ICT lessons when the subject matter goes over the head of the teachers. I did have quite a large part to play in designing our schemes of work with the old HOD and now help the new one out. (Usually with HTML bits and Gimp in graphics). I'm paid as a tech and don't get any extra hours but everyone understands my primary role comes first and I'm just lending a hand. SLT are all happy so it's a win-win situation. Teacher stays in the class so no insurance issues.

JPS
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Admiral208 View Post
    We have unqualified people teaching classes here when the class teacher has their PPA time. Personally I think its wrong because they get someone who isn't a teacher being responsible for a group of children. I have a lot of respect for teachers, they train for many years, and then any tom, dick or harry can come in and do the same thing. I know if it were my child i wouldn't want any old person teaching them. If the teacher is in the room at the same time, then I have no problem. For example if a teacher is not very good at spreadsheets, get someone who is, but I feel the teacher should be there at the same time.
    I understand your point but any teacher training could be considered tom, dick or harry, certainly in their first few months - they are not qualified and usually inexperienced. Everyone has to start somewhere. Also dont think that there is a qualified teacher in the room all the time with a trainee!

JPS
    Thank Post
    You may be interested in my situation (or was my situation). I have a particularly educational background but not a qualified teacher. In my capacity as an MIS Manager in my last job I was responsible for writing the schools timetable (a really big jigsaw puzzle!). Nearing the end of the procedure I had realised we were short on IT staff to teach the Functional Skills IT to the Diploma students. So for 3 hours across a fortnight I timetabled myself to deliver this part of their course. I do have an IT degree and the subject knowledge was not an issue. I was a member of a union (GMB) and had the full support of the SMT and IT HOD. I thoroughly enjoyed the lessons and had a massive high (better than anything before, legal or illegal) when I received the exam results to find out they all passed!

IMO, as long as you have the support of your management I would strongly recommend it.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I believe, according to talk around the school, that unqualified teachers can teach but only if a teacher is with them. They have to make the lesson plans and provide you with them at the start of the lesson (before is even better!). This is for public schools, after doing some sniffing around the GTP site I found private schools use what they want but it's rare for an unqualified teacher to have sole responsibility of a class.

I still wonder what the law says about supervision of free time though (i.e school library).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ellisteph10 View Post
    Thanks Steven, sounds like you enjoyed it.

Ive had a quick look at suitable courses that could be run but not quite found one suitable. Do you have details of this Certificate of Achievement course?
    I believe they are called Entry Level Certificates now ...

Entry level certificate | Information and Communication Technology : Edexcel

Hope this helps

Steve

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12