+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, Thoughts on Virgin Broadband? in General; Originally Posted by AngryTechnician That's not how I remember it. Is the broadband faults line still a premium rate number? ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    That's not how I remember it. Is the broadband faults line still a premium rate number? .
    I'm not sure if this is any help but I've heard this site mentioned on the telly before (SAYNOTO0870.COM - Non-Geographical Alternative Telephone Numbers) it's supposed to get you round the "press 1....", if they are listed there.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    0870? I should be so lucky. When I said premium rate, I meant it. When I last dealt with them in 2007, it was an 0900 number.

Yes, really. Paying £7 for some prat to tell me I need to power off the cablemodem for half an hour and then power it on again before they will bother doing any diagnostics was possibly the most infuriating customer support experience I will ever have (especially when the engineer who eventually came to replace the modem told me that fault had happened to everyone who had the kind of modem I had due to configuration changes on Virgin's end).

Thank Post
    Not the case now. Calls to 121 tech support are free.

Thank Post
    Been with Virgin for years, had the occasional blip with the service - but nothing major. Rarely had to phone CS, though it's usually been the "have you tried turning it..." spiel when I have.

On the 20MB service and have never had any noticeable throttling, but then I'm not torrenting movies 24/7.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    0870? I should be so lucky. When I said premium rate, I meant it. When I last dealt with them in 2007, it was an 0900 number.

Yes, really. Paying £7 for some prat to tell me I need to power off the cablemodem for half an hour and then power it on again before they will bother doing any diagnostics was possibly the most infuriating customer support experience I will ever have (especially when the engineer who eventually came to replace the modem told me that fault had happened to everyone who had the kind of modem I had due to configuration changes on Virgin's end).
    £7 for that, and then its their fault. Thats at best, infuriating!

Thank Post
    Parents been with then TV wise since they were Cable TV/Telewest and all the way through free dialup. Only updated their package with them a year or so ago, and were on 10mb.... When they first got broadband they were on 512mb!

Virgin will periodically change the speeds of their packages as they up them.

In general, when they bring out a new top package, they decom the bottom package and upgrade. In 4 years I've had 2 upgrades due to this, but I'm now on the 20mb package, so will be quite some time till I get an upgrade I suspect.

For a heavy downloader, watching of iplayer/internet TV your going to hit your limit watching HD TV or dl'ing movies.

BT and most of the services based around BT will have a monthly cap on downloading that a normal user will not hit (if they aren't torrenting 24/7 or whatever). But when you hit that limit, either you get no internet till the next month, or your going to be paying a few pound per gb of data.

Virgin simply throttle you when you hit your limit for a few hours, a few hours later your back to the full speed again.

Also, BT based lines will say "Up to" on most of their packages. Though they have improved this over the years, if you buy a 10mb line, you can get ANYTHING up to 10mb, and i've known people in slightly out of town areas to barely get 1-2mb here. With Virgin you will get 8-10mb all the time, and on occasions i've clocked speeds above that which I pay for (rare though).

Their customer service is at times awful, and i've dealt with them a lot over the years for upgrades, fixes and queries on billing, all sorts of stuff. Although highly frustrating at times, their services have improved greatly, and they do have a couple of UK based centres. BUT, out of hours/peak time calls are handled (or supplimented) by 2 or 3 oversea's call centres. These people will fight if you try and deviate from their script. Be clear and concise, and persistent and you'll get there eventually. I've never had anything unresolved by them, just a little slow on the uptake.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123