+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Thoughts on Virgin Broadband? in General; I have been with Virgin (NTL) since the days of 300kbit/sec. I have found them very reliable with only a ...

Thank Post
    I have been with Virgin (NTL) since the days of 300kbit/sec. I have found them very reliable with only a handful of outages in all the years I have been with them. I have always had speeds just about matching the speed I was paying for, except when I upgraded to 20Mb and that was my router not being capable of handling the speed (only had a 10Mb WAN port). If the speed of a single download does not match the speed of my broadband it has more to do with the site I am visiting than my link, adding in another download makes no difference to the first. On the rare occasions when I have had to speak to customer services they have managed to resolve the problems reasonably quickly and efficiently. If I have a complaint it would be that they don't give me as a long term customer the same deals as those of new customers, but then that goes with just about all companies, so nothing new there.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 1,188 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have been with ntl/virgin since the days of free dial up (remember that!?).

Can't say I have ever had any major problems with the service or, on the rare occasions I have to ring them, customer service. In all that time I have only experienced one period of downtime which was fixed pretty quickly. Our promised upgrade from 2mb -> 10mb seemed to take an age which started to grate a bit but been great since it was done.

Quote Originally Posted by sjatkn View Post
    If I have a complaint it would be that they don't give me as a long term customer the same deals as those of new customers, but then that goes with just about all companies, so nothing new there.
    Yeah this irritates me too, but then as you point out, this is not a Virgin thing and many companies do this to attract new customers. However, a couple of times I have rung to tell them that I have spotted a new deal/tariff on the website and want to be moved to it. Worked a couple of times as well

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,089 Times in 837 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Reasonably happy with the service here, within the last 2 weeks I've hammered it for about 20GB on downloading (all legal via Steam). Speed is as advertised. New routers/modem combo they provide is a bit broken and the firewall, even after Virgin's firmware update, still doesn't work (slows your connection down to unusable states when browsing) so that needs turning off. Customer service is like banging your head against a brick wall but I think that's little more than language barrier.

Thank Post
    Used them for years, theres just no comparison to their cable BB...you get the speeds advertised, no 'up to' like ADSL
    Very rarely goes down, even when it does its never more than a few hours
    The speed reduction after xxGB of downloads is annoying but everyone has some sort of traffic shaping/management these days

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible Terrible
    Customer Service.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED !!
    Easy; "Can I speak to the cancellation department please" and you get through to a nice british person who can understand you and who will bend over backwards to keep you.

Thank Post
    Use to do work for them.. Traffic management is a killer you watch a few HD Iplayers / play some Halo and boom your limited is hit ..
    being a old NTL 10mb customer i have a 750mb cap and they wont up it to the new cap for 10 mb.. I'm looking to go to be infinity as my area is getting it in aug.
    29mb down 12mb up.. good for gaming and access to my home server is all I relay want. I cant do that with VM..

as i have sky im waiting for sky to sort out a deal with BT so i can get it from them cheaper..

Thank Post
    The product is great and rarely has any problems, but Customer Services is terrible. No Traffic management on the 50meg package and I never had any problems with Traffic management on the 20meg package.

Virgin often give out free speed upgrades.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pottsey View Post
    Virgin often give out free speed upgrades.
    Only happens when the company gets taken over, But with VM it's was rebranding for 10years i think. just 6 more years to go.. b4 the next take over and the speeds get upped.. lol..

Thank Post
    i would recommend Be Broadband never had any problems with them.

Thank Post
    Had Virgin for years, 10Mb and im reasonably happy. I went for their 20mb package a while back and never really got more than 12mb so swapped back. I tend to hit the cap quite frequently but you learn to download out of peak hours and its fine.

When you had the VM newsgroup support it was great, biggest mistake they had was removing them!

Thank Post
    After initial setup which can be problematic for various reasons, the quality of the service is good. I have the 50mb connection, and i get excellent dl speeds (a 700mb linux distro in about 2 minutes). The 50mb service is the only one that isn't capped and they are bringing out a 200mb service soon. Their customer support is a bit flakey, but once you're up and running their should be no real reason to call them.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Never had any problems with Virgin. Had 20mb, always got between 14 - 20mb speeds so I'm happy with that. The caps are very generous and only apply at certain times of day. (7gb between 10am and 3pm?! Not a problem at all). Even 4.5gb between 4pm and 9pm isn't bad.

I've always found the customer service to be fine.

The only reason I'm with Sky (Ergh) now is because the new flat I'm in doesn't get Virgin and is already set up to receive Sky.

Also, A friend who did a year at Broadcom reckons the Virgin modems (hardware and firmware) can support upto 400mbps (Hmmm).
    Last edited by Fatmas; 28th September 2010 at 08:31 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Customer service is like banging your head against a brick wall but I think that's little more than language barrier.
    That's not how I remember it. Is the broadband faults line still a premium rate number? And do they still lie to you about refunding the cost if it turns out to be a problem with their equipment? I was stung with that one a while ago and that was the straw the broke the camel's back. Also remember having an interesting conversation with them about how service was down, and they knew it was down, but it wasn't mentioned on the recording on the free service status number because it was "scheduled maintenance", despite the fact it wasn't on the scheduled maintenance webpage, and was in the middle of the day.

It was the last of many, many problems I put up with from them and I will never be a Virgin customer again.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,014 Times in 1,463 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am in the same place as you Angry Technician.

My mum has Virgin Broadband at her house, and since moving back in, I got my own BT line put in etc because, well, I play alot of games and didnt want to leach from her connection, as such BT supply me quite nicely.

A virgin engineer came out and upgraded my mums modem router so it was a wireless one, and he noticed a BT box sitting right next to it, he phoned up Virgin, and got them to cancel the internet and phone as there is a BT package here. It took 3 weeks, lots of phone calls (and my mum leaching internet from me) before she was back up and they understood that the BT stuff was mine and completely seperate, and the Virgin stuff was hers.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    I said I wouldn't pay and then he got all shirty and made threats about sending debt collectors round and that they WOULD get their money in the end.
    Oh that reminds me of the 3 separate occasions I was threatened with debt collectors by them, all for previous tenants. On every occasion they wouldn't believe me when I told that the previous tenants had moved out, and eventually I gave up trying to explain it to them and waited for the debt collectors to send a letter. Funnily enough, the debt collectors VM use are actually quite pleasant to deal with (at least when it's not you they are after) and frankly quite a relief after dealing with boneheaded VM call operators.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast