+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Open Evenings in General; Hi We have our open evening for year 5 & 6's next week and we have decided to do something ...
    Thank Post

Open Evenings

Hi

We have our open evening for year 5 & 6's next week and we have decided to do something different this year. We are going to highlight how the school protects their children online whilst using the school computers, etc. But what we are going to ask the parents and children dto do is try and bypass our filters and get to a website/resource that's deemed unsuitable, i.e games, music, etc then they win a prize. It's basically to show off our tight security in the school. We actually want some of them to succeed as we will then show their parents what systems are in place for detection and then sanctions, etc.

To go with this I have downloaded some CEOP and thinkuknow stuff but I was wondering if anyone had any other GOOD material that I could provide to the prospective parent/pupils on the night.

Many thanks

Thank Post
    you want people to bypass it?
    seems a bit dangerous to me if you end up showing all the potential new students how to get on facebook at school.

i would do a simple explanation of how a filtering proxy server works, so "it looks at where you want to go and then checks it against a list of bad websites"

Thank Post
    I'm with Arcath on this one - sounds like it has massive 'egg on face' (egg on facebook?) potential, plus it could be seen as a duty of care minefield if you are asking children to try and bypass the security.

Granted, parents and staff will be there to ensure everyone plays by the rules but there are too many "what if?s" for my liking. If a parent takes this the wrong way then you could find yourself in some very hot water...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcath View Post
    you want people to bypass it?
    seems a bit dangerous to me if you end up showing all the potential new students how to get on facebook at school.

i would do a simple explanation of how a filtering proxy server works, so "it looks at where you want to go and then checks it against a list of bad websites"
    They can try but they won't get anywhere!! We are confident that the processes we have in place work very well. We just want to show the parents what we do and how we safeguard them!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by korifugi View Post
    I'm with Arcath on this one - sounds like it has massive 'egg on face' (egg on facebook?) potential, plus it could be seen as a duty of care minefield if you are asking children to try and bypass the security.

Granted, parents and staff will be there to ensure everyone plays by the rules but there are too many "what if?s" for my liking. If a parent takes this the wrong way then you could find yourself in some very hot water...
    I think you are taking this a little too seriously. Thee aim of the exercise is to show how good our systems are and if they manage to find a games site - what happens next, i.e administrator notified, teacher and head of year, website blocked and sanctions put in place! Nothing too onerous! It's all taking place in one computer room and as the children search, the parents will see on a projector an administrators screen showing ALL the activity going on!

Thank Post
    Just out of interest what are you using that makes you so confident?? I might have to get myself some of that...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HC_Netman View Post
    Just out of interest what are you using that makes you so confident?? I might have to get myself some of that...
    It's a combination of our RBC filters, Impero, some scripts written by us and good old fashioned diligence through tight policies and procedures

Thank Post
    google DNS tunnel, and wait for the parent that has one

Thank Post
    I don't think this is what prospective parents come to the school to see. Our Open Day was yesterday and we must have had 500 people through the ICT suites and the question of filtering wasn't raised once. IMHO, you would be better focussing on learning. Have some fun sites and let the little ones have a go. We turned one ICT suite into a recording studio and our pupils interviewed kids and parents. It was absolute mayhem but the feedback we got was really good.

If someone does ask about eSafety you can always do a one off demo.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcath View Post
    google DNS tunnel, and wait for the parent that has one
    Not on our network!!!!

Thank Post
    The ICT suites are already doing their thing. This is purely aimed at e-safety & safeguarding children and how we monitor their activity -

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,215 Times in 1,633 Posts
    When I train people in e-Safey, I spend a lot of time telling parents is that it's not about filtering... it's about educating everyone on how to stay safe. The darlings can't to facebook through your network, but they'll be using their phones. I explain that we have filtering at school to keep the children on task, but twhere there's a will there's a way.... they'll use something else to get up to mischief.

You're encouraging the kids to find unsuitable sites... making it seem like a game. It isn't a game and, proud as you are of the school's filtering, I think this approach is very wrong.

It seems like you're confusing e-Safety and school discipline.

Thank Post
    I'd love my sons school to do something similar, I'd be through their security in no time (I can pick up the wireless from my attic!! oh dear they use WEP!!). I suppose if you are that sure it wont do you any harm, one thing is you dont know what they do (someone might work at the LA and go straight through )

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    When I train people in e-Safey, I spend a lot of time telling parents is that it's not about filtering... it's about educating everyone on how to stay safe. The darlings can't to facebook through your network, but they'll be using their phones. I explain that we have filtering at school to keep the children on task, but twhere there's a will there's a way.... they'll use something else to get up to mischief.

You're encouraging the kids to find unsuitable sites... making it seem like a game. It isn't a game and, proud as you are of the school's filtering, I think this approach is very wrong.
    I think the angle that everyone is taking is completely different from my intention. We have loads of information from CEOP, ThinkUknow, etc along with our acceptable use policy and various other material to educate the parents. The idea is not to encourage children to play the games, more about how they can't get access to anything. We have trained officers to promote vigilence for parents and to guide them in learning with their children. The idea of the 'beat the filters' is just a way of getting them into the classroom. We want to show parents that we are dpoing everything we can to ensure innapropriate material etc cannot be accessed. Also, that we do have the wellbeing of the children first and foremost. It's not meant to be an invitation to 'break' security!!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,215 Times in 1,633 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KWestos View Post
    I think the angle that everyone is taking is completely different from my intention. We have loads of information from CEOP, ThinkUknow, etc along with our acceptable use policy and various other material to educate the parents. The idea is not to encourage children to play the games, more about how they can't get access to anything. We have trained officers to promote vigilence for parents and to guide them in learning with their children. The idea of the 'beat the filters' is just a way of getting them into the classroom. We want to show parents that we are dpoing everything we can to ensure innapropriate material etc cannot be accessed. Also, that we do have the wellbeing of the children first and foremost. It's not meant to be an invitation to 'break' security!!!
    And what do they do next?

Go home and see what inappropriate sites they can find from there. Like it or not, they will see it as a game.

I still disagree with a 'beat the filters' night.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast