+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, Open Evenings in General; Originally Posted by timzim @KWestos: no-one is doubting your capabilities I now retract this statement....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by timzim View Post
    @KWestos: no-one is doubting your capabilities
    I now retract this statement.

Thank Post
    To be honest, it would have helped if things had gone wrong as it might have helped him understand what everyone else is trying to say.

You may have got away with it but you'll no doubt encounter issues by going 'Maverick'.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KWestos View Post
    Maybe I like the drama and risk?????
    {SNIP}
    If things had gone wrong, then you hold your hand up, admit somethings gone wrong and you fix it - simple. I was prepared for the RBC filter to fail, our filters to fail, potential ports to open, etc. If you are not prepared, then that's when you are in trouble!!!!!
    Was the school ready to risk looking bad because the filters failed?

That just sounds abit over confident and cocky to me, are you actually trying to imply to us that you have backup connections and filters with instant fail overs to prevent lapses in filtering?

Although the 10 minutes to swap over to a backup doesn't seem like much to us its a terrible way to end your demonstration as you run off to your office.

Thank Post
    One of the things I have learnt as a sailing/powerboating instructor is never show people the wrong way to do a thing. I think this falls under the same heading.

Thank Post
    The initial intention was purely an exercise for the parents. We had year 11 pupils in with them explaining they've tried for the last 3 years, etc etc! It's not a case of being 'bigheaded' or 'maverick', purely and simple an exercise in showing the lengths we go to to safeguard the children in our care. Yes, of course I was expecting thisngs to go wrong, but it's how you deal with problems that you are REALLY measured on. How you cope under pressure, what measures are in place, etc. And yes, I was flying by the seat of my pants, but from what I've heard from both staff and parents, they respected our team for it. Basically, we were not promoting bad behaviour. We were simply showing how hard it was. Of course I'm not niave enough to think it won't happen. But the parents know that we are doing everything we possibly can (within budget) to promote safe working practices and that their little darlings are severly restricted on the internet

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes, of course I was expecting thisngs to go wrong, but it's how you deal with problems that you are REALLY measured on.
    the difference is we are measured by our response to problems, not by a response to a problem we created.
    if i decide to wipe a server during term time and it goes t*ts up, the school won't be saying "congratulations, you managed to fix the server in 3 days there, you sure responded to that problem well" it will more likely be "why did you not consider the risks"

i know you're going to reply saying you didn't create a problem and nothing went wrong, but you did increase the likelihood of a problem occuring.

i don't think any of us here doubt our abilities or don't trust our network enough to do what we want, but at the same time we wouldn't be foolhardy enough to take it upon ourselves to walk into a classroom and say "find a picture of a cock, i dare you" (again i know this wasn't your exact situation before you say thats not what happened, i was just using an example)

Thank Post
    I really don't know why people have been beating me up over this. Does anyone mention the science demonstrations where teachers set light to their hands filled with soapy gas bubbles. Surely poor little Johny will grow up to be a fire breathing pyromaniac after watching that demonstration! I can't believe how vilified I am after having confidence in what I do. Not one member of SLT had any doubts to the demonstration. For all the people who said that I was encouraging children to 'hack', what about all the science experiements, surely these would be more exciting to the kids to copy?????

Thank Post
    I think the angle that everyone is taking is completely different from my intention
    Exactly
    You have your intention and we are telling you how it looks from the other side

And with mobile 3G access - its like the school only serving healthy meals but with the chip van passing food through the railings

regards

Simon
    Last edited by SimpleSi; 30th September 2010 at 01:12 PM.

Thank Post
    Does anyone mention the science demonstrations where teachers set light to their hands filled with soapy gas bubbles. Surely poor little Johny will grow up to be a fire breathing pyromaniac after watching that demonstration!
    As a sci tech as well as ict tech, I don't think this is really a vaild comparison. With my science hat on, my risk assessment for that demo says go ahead, with care. Select your student carefully (if you're going to use either their hands, or to get them to light your hands) and manage your environment etc. With my ICT hat on, my risk assessment for asking people I've not met before to beat the filters says don't go there.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by solitaire89 View Post
    As a sci tech as well as ict tech, I don't think this is really a vaild comparison. With my science hat on, my risk assessment for that demo says go ahead, with care. Select your student carefully (if you're going to use either their hands, or to get them to light your hands) and manage your environment etc. With my ICT hat on, my risk assessment for asking people I've not met before to beat the filters says don't go there.
    Which of those hats are you wearing in your photo?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by timzim View Post
    Which of those hats are you wearing in your photo?
    Obviously the science one... Biology to be precise!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123