+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Going to the Kennels tonight! in General; Going to the kennels tonight. Been wanting a dog for months now, and decided to re-home a stray dog. Been ...

Thank Post

Going to the Kennels tonight!

Going to the kennels tonight. Been wanting a dog for months now, and decided to re-home a stray dog. Been keeping an eye on the local kennels website to see what strays they have, but all they had recently was a boat load of Staffies - must be charvers deciding beer is more important and giving up their beloved fighting dogs!

Anyhow, seen today they have added a 1yr old rottie to the website so gonna try and get round tonight to see it.

Excited!

Thank Post
    I'd love a rotty..I used to work in Kennels and my favourite dog was Sid the rotty...his head was massive and he had a jaw like a great white shark..he was the most loving and gentle dog though!!

Do you not like staffy's?? there does seem to be alot needing homes...they can be very sweet too though..

Hope he is a nice dog and you get him..whats the website I might have nosey at him!

Thank Post
    Got a staffy recently from the RSPCA - they send them all around the UK from Liverpool and got told a lot of them are from fighting kennels that have been raided.

They claim he's half staff/half collie but there's definitely a possibility of pitbull although he's the soppiest dog you will ever find.

Thank Post
    Nowt wrong with Staffies... my dog is half boxer and half staffie! Interesting combination but the end result is quite possibly the soppiest softest most ridiculous dog in the entire world

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I love Staffies, my mate has 4!!! Just have picked up and unfortunate label recently...

Thank Post
    Here's the link - StrayAction.com

Staffies are nice dogs, but as little-miss says, it's just unfortunate they have the label attached to them now.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,403 Times in 1,691 Posts
    I have a rescue dog - a complete mongrel called Smudge. Had him ten years now and he is the best dog ever. As for Staffies, they suffer from a bad reputation because of the strength of their jaws if they do turn nasty. But mostly they are lovely dogs - my mum has a staffie/jack russell cross and she is the most loving animal

Thank Post
    Hightower that is one gorgeous beast. I am on the lookout myself for a new dog. I lost my old girl in January and she was 16.5. What a loss that was. Have you tried Animal Crackers in Sunderland and Brysons over in Eighton Banks?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    Hightower that is one gorgeous beast. I am on the lookout myself for a new dog. I lost my old girl in January and she was 16.5. What a loss that was. Have you tried Animal Crackers in Sunderland and Brysons over in Eighton Banks?
    Those are a bit too far a field to be honest. I really love the look of the Rottie, but I think he'll be too big for our current house.

The other half is talking me into 'waiting' until we move house until we get a dog. I know she talks sense at times so it looks like I'll not be going now until our house goes through..... (which hasn't even begun as nobody has viewed it yet!)

Thank Post
    Also, dont you both work? You'll need a dog that can be left for a long time, and I thought rotties arent too good at that?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Also, dont you both work? You'll need a dog that can be left for a long time, and I thought rotties arent too good at that?
    Are you keeping tabs

Yeah, we both work, but the OH works 20 yards from home so can call home on a dinner to walk him/her. As for after we move, it'll be a bit harder to get home to walk him/her but the garden will be completely secure to have a little dog house outside to leave him/her in whilst at work.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    Are you keeping tabs

Yeah, we both work, but the OH works 20 yards from home so can call home on a dinner to walk him/her. As for after we move, it'll be a bit harder to get home to walk him/her but the garden will be completely secure to have a little dog house outside to leave him/her in whilst at work.
    Sorry, wasn't criticising - just thinking of pros and cons! I had a rescue dog when I worked full time and she was fine during the day - but it is something to think about.
    My dog is far too keen on his warm bed/rug/carpet to be happy left outside - he would demand central heating!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Aww i just had to google a staffie/jack russell cross....how gorgeous!! i want!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    Aww i just had to google a staffie/jack russell cross....how gorgeous!! i want!
    They don't come in Purple

Thank Post
    Winston is quite happy being left on his own during the day, I only work 10 minutes from home so I walk home at lunchtime, feed him and give him a walk and then settle him and go back to work.

He does start to get bored/barky in the afternoons some days but apart from that he is sound!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast