+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Banning young people from driving at night? in General; I heard on the radio this morning, but can't find a recent article on this. Apparently some crackpot scientist has ...

Thank Post

Banning young people from driving at night?

I heard on the radio this morning, but can't find a recent article on this.

Apparently some crackpot scientist has decided the way to cut young driver deaths is to ban them from driving at nighttime, saying this could save 200 lives each year.

Anyone else see how utterly stupid this is? I finish work each night at 5-6pm, and during the winter it is pitch black at this time.
    -No more 9-5 jobs for young people.
    -No more nightshift's
    -No more able to go out at night unless it's walkable or the parents drive you there.

What about young parents? you know there are people who have children before they are 34!
    Then there's anyone who works with youth movements (such as scouting).

There are so many flaws in this idea that I just cannot concieve them all.

Idiotic plans like this annoy me, and the crackpots who come up with this make REAL scientists look bad. A REAL scientist weighs up ALL possibilities and checks for alternative outcomes before suggesting something.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rydra View Post
    -No more able to go out at night unless it's walkable or the parents drive you there.
    While I agree with the rest of your points, and agree that banning young people from driving at night would be a bad idea, this one's a different matter. Most of the time young people are going out at night to have a drink. If they're going out to have a drink it should be walkable, cyclable, a lift, taxi, bus, or something else that doesn't involve driving.

Of course I'm also firmly of the belief that cars should be banned for all journeys under eight miles, and bicycles provided instead, but apparently I'm a bit of an extremist on that one.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just lower the drink-drive limit to 0 and ban people from driving for life when caught.

4. 3 Thanks to webman:

fawkers (21st September 2010), localzuk (21st September 2010), witch (21st September 2010)

Thank Post
    On BBC news is the story:

BBC News - New driver restrictions 'would save lives'

Stupid idea in my eyes but I can understand the logic.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    If they're going out to have a drink it should be cyclable
    Yeah, because that's not dangerous at all is it now?!

Thank Post
    I think we should just ban young people ............ solve lots of problems at a stroke!!!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,867 Times in 1,385 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Do like they do in Oman

You can drive and pass your test at the age of 16
    You are only allowed to drive at night if you are 21 and have had a valid licence for 2 years or more
    If you drink and drive you are sentenced to 5 years in prison (if you have hit someone then it goes up a considerable amount), $100'000 fine (minimum) and banned for life

Guaranteed you will see a sharp drop in accidents and such like.

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    Just lower the drink-drive limit to 0 and ban people from driving for life when caught.
    Great until you have some cough mixture or one of the many other things containing a small amount of alcohol.

10. 2 Thanks to creese:

CHR1S (21st September 2010), Martin (21st September 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rydra View Post
    I heard on the radio this morning, but can't find a recent article on this.

Anyone else see how utterly stupid this is? I finish work each night at 5-6pm, and during the winter it is pitch black at this time.
    -No more 9-5 jobs for young people.
    -No more nightshift's
    Sorry; but that's nonsense!

When I was a "young person" (admittedly a long time ago) people managed to do jobs that were outside the 9-5 range without needing to drive - they got buses, they walked, they cycled etc.

Now I'm not saying that banning young people driving at night is a good idea but to suggest that it's nearly impossible to survive without driving at night is just as extreme!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    Great until you have some cough mixture or one of the many other things containing a small amount of alcohol.
    Such as mouthwash!

Thank Post
    It is a stupid idea, I am a young driver and to be honest I do most of my driving at night, back and forth from my mates and that. Utterley stupid idea I think.

Thank Post
    what about limiting what cars they can drive so no 17 year old goes out and buys a focus rs/subaru imprezza/evo other fast car what about limiting people to say <1600cc for the first 2 years of driving (dosent a bike licence work this way now so you cant pass your test then go out on a 999 ducatti)

Part of the problem is like any test a driving test just proves you can pass a test not drive. People need to gain experience to drive well and if you limit them to daylight hours that seriously curtails that (esp the further north you go). More sensible would be banning the carrying of passengers (or severly limiting it) but even if you do ban night driving etc how on earth are you going to enforce it?

Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    as others have said mothwash etc can trigger that low a limit unless you allow officers discretion for really low readings

15. 2 Thanks to sted:

CHR1S (21st September 2010), Martin (21st September 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    Yeah, because that's not dangerous at all is it now?!
    No, not really.

If you're driving you are in charge of a tonne or more of metal propelled by powerful internal explosions at speeds of up to 120 m.p.h along roads. At even at a much lower speed the effects of an impact will not only likely kill you, but anyone else involved, or cause severe injury and damage.

If you're cycling you're in charge of a few kilos of metal (at most) propelled by your own leg power at speeds of up to 20 m.p.h (if you're a very fit cyclist, more likely around 12 m.p.h). If you fall off you will most likely end up with a few grazes and bruises unless you are exceptionally unlucky. You will also find that if you are too drunk to control the bike properly, you will simply fall off as cycling requires much greater balance, alertness and concentration than driving. Someone too drunk to stand can climb into a car, start the engine and slam their foot onto the accelerator - try that on a bike and you'll end up lying on the floor, giggling.

More importantly even at top speed on a bike you are likely to injure only yourself, and then not severely. If by some miracle you manage to hit a pedestrian (very difficult, the bar stewards dodge like you wouldn't believe possible) then you're still likely to cause only a bruise.

So no, it's no more dangerous than walking home drunk - which is an option with a bike, since you can walk it home and lean on it for support.

Thank Post
    What about older people aswell? Over 70's can be a nightmare on the road!!

18. Thanks to sippo from:

CHR1S (21st September 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sippo View Post
    What about older people aswell? Over 70's can be a nightmare on the road!!
    the problem is so can anone so short of making people sit retests every 5-10 years what can you do? And even when banned how many people still drive anyway?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast