+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Staff Complaints in General; Yesterday I got pulled aside by a member of staff who told me that there had been something said about ...
    Thank Post

Staff Complaints

Yesterday I got pulled aside by a member of staff who told me that there had been something said about me in the staff room from another member of staff.

Apparantly this member of staff can't get me to do anything, everytime she asks me to do something I say 'Can you stick it on the helpdesk please' which is what I say to all members of staff. But apparantly the head has an issuse which again when I was asked to do it i never went and did, baring in mind I don't remember being told that the head didn't have a working printer.

Oh and also I currently have a very busy helpdesk, the network manager is on a course this week which leaves me to get things done. Am i wrong to ask people to put things on the helpdesk? should I just go running when they call?

OH! and also the reason we have a helpdesk is because if people catch us in the corridoor and ask us to do something 9 times out of 10 we are already on a job and by the time we get back to the office we have forgotton, but staff don't seem to be able to understand that. hmmmmmmmm

In the end had a very busy week on my own and ready for the weekend.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,867 Times in 1,385 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Helpdesks also show when you are being over worked, what problems keep occuring and how often they occur. So if people do not like it, it is probably because they can be monitored from it!

Thank Post
    Yea good one last week, Can you please allow me to print from my classroom to the printers in my classroom this hasn't been working for the last few days. Go down to the classroom look at the printers turned them on at the wall turned on the power button WOW like magic the printer springs into life. I'm sure that is alittle bit of a waste of my time maybe?

-28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post

Thank Post
    Stick to your guns, be polite and explain the whole purpose of why the helpdesk exists.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,159 Times in 1,597 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmc View Post
    Yea good one last week, Can you please allow me to print from my classroom to the printers in my classroom this hasn't been working for the last few days. Go down to the classroom look at the printers turned them on at the wall turned on the power button WOW like magic the printer springs into life. I'm sure that is alittle bit of a waste of my time maybe?
    Not if there were kids in the classroom when you did it. You don't need to say anything, just leave

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,867 Times in 1,385 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Prime example of stupidity, just going through all of my OLD helpdesk jobs...

There was a job January 3 years ago to make the snow stop, the job was closed in may of that year. Job done, sometimes just takes me a while.

8. Thanks to nephilim from:

CHR1S (17th September 2010)

Thank Post
    Stop posting on forums Neil ya lazy git and get some work done!

-28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmc View Post
    I'd be tempted to say "I'll send someone technical down later to switch the wall plugs on"

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,399 Times in 962 Posts
    Blog Entries
    O_O

That is shocking. Anyone with a third just phoned it in, I can't believe the restriction isn't in place already! I'd rather it be 2:1 and above, but then, those who can, do etc.

On topic: I would say you are absolutely within your rights to ask that something be put on the helpdesk, especially if it is written into the SLA or the AUP. If the head complains about it, and wants you to respond to verbal requests, politely detail that one day you may be walking down to fix his printer but it could take you an hour and a half to get there because of interruptions.

The frustrating thing is, some of these people are the same teachers that are absolute sticklers for only talking to people if a meeting is pre-arranged, if a parent's not booked a formal meeting through reception they won't deal with them...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    That is shocking. Anyone with a third just phoned it in, I can't believe the restriction isn't in place already!
    I hope you don't mean that in a all contexts, as in many cases that is simply not true.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Have you got an agreed 'ICT Charter' for them school, giving timescales and expectations?

Here's a template: Template IT Support Charter.docx

14. 2 Thanks to Mr.Ben:

jpaterson (17th September 2010), netadmin (18th September 2010)

Thank Post
    People have moaned about me behind my back after an issue occured when it wasn't my fault. I just let them get on with it. I know that the majority of staff are happy with the work I do, and all log work via our fault reporting system.

Take no notice of the moaners. Some people are never happy. As long as you are trying your best, your management will stand by you.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    That is shocking. Anyone with a third just phoned it in, I can't believe the restriction isn't in place already! I'd rather it be 2:1 and above, but then, those who can, do etc.
    Just because you have a 1st class degree doesn't mean you'll make a brilliant teacher any more than having a third (or no degree at all) means you'll make a poor teacher.

There's much, much more to it than that but it's always easy to just set a target ("all teachers will have at least a 2:2") rather than find out what really makes a good teacher (or good anything else for that matter - how many people with MCSE have no idea how a network really works??)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    I hope you don't mean that in a all contexts, as in many cases that is simply not true.
    there are always exceptions to elmost every rule (and i got a third on my degree but tbh it was a convertion from a hnd i diddnt want to do really just got sucked into doing it so im not one i really did just do naf all work) but having said all that i know people who passed the same course as me i wouldnt trust to turn a pc on

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast