+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Single Status in General; Single status is BIG..... Also known as Job Evaluation in some other LAs. It is based upon an agreement reached ...

Thank Post

Re: Single Status

Single status is BIG.....

Also known as Job Evaluation in some other LAs.

It is based upon an agreement reached 10 years ago between employers, unions & HM Govt which was intended to reduce the risk of litigation arising from discrimination between male & female employees. The employers have had 10 years to fix this and have a deadline of April 2007.

Job Evaluation is supposed to 'level out' differences in pay & conditions between 'similar' skill sets across the LA. So where you have some people (eg people on nursery nurse scales) being paid full time to work term time, and others (eg admin & support) who are paid pro-rata for working term time this is supposed to be sorted. Unfortunately, what seems to be happening is LAs who have to pay extra to staff unfairly treated are not receiving any extra funding from HM Govt, so they are trying to balance the books by "robbing Peter to pay Paul"
    It is estimated that 35-40% of employers have completed the exercise so far. It has caused some serious grief in some areas of the country. If you want more details, take a look the single status section of
    http://www.labouruniondigest.org.uk/

You may also hear of salary protection being offered to employees facing a pay cut; I know of one LA where letters are being send out to staff saying the LA is withdrawing protection prematurely.

It's a bit of a mess.

Thank Post

I know im just worried about my salary. I heard some technicians had a £7,000 pound drop in their salary.

Nobody can afford a drop in wages.

I have not heard from any other ICT Technicians about whether they had a drop or increase in their salary.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

If some of us were paid any less, we'd actually be paying our employers!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by faza
    I know im just worried about my salary. I heard some technicians had a £7,000 pound drop in their salary.
    Quote Originally Posted by webman
    If some of us were paid any less, we'd actually be paying our employers!
    Almost! If I were to recieve such a pay cut it would actually HALF my salary exactly (and also make me resign at the same time!). I certainly couldn't live on 7kpa, get more working for tesco or asda!

I'm pretty sure this isn't gonna be the case, but I should investigate nonetheless...

Thank Post

I'm sure the letter they gave out the other day stated that back pay would not be granted - I'll check when I get home unless someone has a copy to hand?

Thank Post

I never had a letter.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

It happened here a year or so ago. I ended up going up a point on the pay scale.

Thank Post

I heard from a union rep the other day that employees are legally allowed up to 6 years back pay if you have been under paid. (Dependant upon how long you have been working for them)

Payment protection is being negotiated here for at least 3 years.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by alan-d
    I'm sure the letter they gave out the other day stated that back pay would not be granted - I'll check when I get home unless someone has a copy to hand?
    Well it didn't in my letter Alan! Quite the reverse. The unions would nail the hide of any LA that tried that, and they know it.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by eduabncs
    Well it didn't in my letter Alan! Quite the reverse. The unions would nail the hide of any LA that tried that, and they know it.
    Found my copy dated Jan 2007 titled Pay and Grading Review

On the Q & A Page (Page 3)

Q. Will I receive backpay?

A. The Pay and Grading Review will set the pay for the future therefore backpay is not an issue. However, parallel to this the City Council is addressing the equal pay challenge and in this respect will be making goodwill compensation payments to those employees identified as having a potential significant and apparent entitlement.
    In other words no backpay unless you beg for it and jump through hoops

Thank Post

"...City Council is addressing the equal pay challenge and in this..."
    @alan-d, this is referring to a different topic as far as I know. I've heard of several "no win, no fee" lawyers who are chasing local councils on "behalf" of groups of "wronged" workers, and this is your council's attempt at pre empting this.
    I haven't got the full facts at my fingers, and I'm too gaga to google.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by eduabncs
    Found my copy dated Jan 2007 titled Pay and Grading Review

On the Q & A Page (Page 3)

Q. Will I receive backpay?

A. The Pay and Grading Review will set the pay for the future therefore backpay is not an issue. However, parallel to this the City Council is addressing the equal pay challenge and in this respect will be making goodwill compensation payments to those employees identified as having a potential significant and apparent entitlement.
    In other words no backpay unless you beg for it and jump through hoops

Humble apologies Alan. I have just checked my letter again and your quite correct.

Thank Post

I'm not hoping they say we are all vastly overpaid, causing us to all look for new jobs or be offered pay rise to TUPE across to managed service from BSF...... more i think about it, are the timings just a coincidence.....
    These are my thoughts as well, we have had quite a few meetings about it lately and it does not look good for Techies, especially those at the higher end of the pay scale.

But having our scales lowered just in time to be took on by BSF managed services..............would work out quite well for them wouldn't it.

We feel like we are at the point of being shafted from both sides of the coin....

Thank Post

Are the job specifications based on what can reasonably expected to be part of aparticular post or tenous judgement on who pulls weight or not
    e.g. is IndieGirl due some back pay

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

Equality laws dictate that all employers must carry out a pay and grading review by April 2007 to ensure equality within the workplace. This particular LEA have obviously had their head in the sand about this. However councils will endevour to keep pay low if they foresee outsourcing as it makes the service more attractive to the private sector.

Equal pay is an act of parliament and therefore your statutory right. Your employer may ask you to waive this statutory right when offering you a favorable pay and grading system. The Union would normally negotiate this alongside pay protection whilst consulting with their members. An equal pay claim can be backdated 6 yrs irrespective of employer, this means that if you are TUPEd under BSF you still have the right to put in an equal pay claim.

The two tier workforce code means that any new starter cannot be employed at any less favourable terms and conditions than those who work beside them - this why it is more likely there will be redundancy directly after TUPE.

It is important to know that an amendment to the TUPE regulations in april 2006 that says all potential employers and the existing employer must disclose any changes that will impact on the workforce. ie. reduction in numbers of staff - thats why it's extremely important that if you know your about to be TUPEd that you attend all the consultation meetings and read the documentation because both sides will try and keep it quiet, if they get the chance to shaft you they will.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast