+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, TV Reception at 23:32 / 23:33 in General; I live in the west midlands (specifically Coventry) and i think this may be a local thing. Every night at ...
    Thank Post

TV Reception at 23:32 / 23:33

I live in the west midlands (specifically Coventry) and i think this may be a local thing. Every night at around 23:33 or 23:32 my TV reception gets distorted on both digital and analogue services.

It seems to of been happening for years from what i can remember, and it affects all the pc's in my house. I was just curious to see if anyone else has this problem in there area's or any clues as to what it is.

There was a point when it happened at about 5 to or 10 to 10, so you know just when the end of that drama you have been watching for the past hour for months comes to its twist conclusion and it goes, and you despair.

p.s i have IT on the brain, post title should be TV Reception at 23:32 / 23:33, If any mods feel like changing it would be appreciated :P
    Last edited by SimAda00; 5th September 2010 at 01:03 AM. Reason: renaming thread

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you go onto advanced edit you can change it yourself

3. Thanks to FN-GM from:

SimAda00 (5th September 2010)

Thank Post
    Lived in coventry up until about 3 years ago(parents still do), I don't remember having any signal issues like that. Seems very strange that it can be narrowed down to a specific time though... does it shift at all when the clocks go back/forward?

Really don't know a huge amount about the causes of interferance for TV's but I'd try an indoor aerial and maybe have a word with your neighbors to see if they have the same issue. Other than that I'd try and figure out what else happens at that exact time(boilers kicking in/other devices that may be on a timer etc)

edit: one thing I had heard mentioned a while back was Rugby Cement causing issues, I'm pretty sure they ended up funding replacement aerial's as a solution.. http://findarticles.com/p/news-artic.../ai_n32995628/ - its probably in no way related but its interesting that something that far away can affect TV reception.
    Last edited by Jamman960; 5th September 2010 at 12:40 AM.

Thank Post
    How bizzare!

Is this daily? I'll keep an eye out for it. I haven't watched analogue TV over the air for years, and frankly in SW Birmingham you can't. The signal is terrible, that's why Birmingham Cable did so well here.

Thank Post
    How long does the interference last? Is it instantaneous, or for a period? And finally, does the sound go too?

Thank Post
    Yeah it does seem to alter with daylight savings time, and i agree it is odd it happens at a certain time most nights. I am sure it happens every night but I've not been looking to spot it before.

Usually what happens is the sound goes but you get the odd millisecond of sound, and the picture gets distorted until eventually the signal goes - it happens on all the channels, When i look at the analogue channels they get plastered in static (so you can see parts of the image) but without sound. If i watch the signal strenth on my TV it goes rapidly up and down but after about a minute or 2 its back to normal.

It's one of them things i have noticed for a while and been puzzled about, one thing that has been suggested is for Economy 7 as some places use radio signals to control the timings. (which according to wiki is sent though the BBC Radio 4 198 kHz Frequency)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The time suggests it's some electrical device set to activate on a timer (albeit several minutes out) and causing the issue you describe.

You might find some of the advice here helpful: Television Interference

Thank Post
    Is it all four/five analogue stations?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread