+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, First Day Back in General; This is my first post in about a month so that must mean: First day of term Today we found ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

First Day Back

This is my first post in about a month so that must mean: First day of term

Today we found out if our adventure into Windows 7 pays off, whether our shiny new machines in the refurbished ICT suites are up to the challenge and most importantly, whether I can cope with wearing a monkey suit for the first time in 6 weeks.

It's going to be fun.

How was everybody elses summer?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatmas View Post
    This is my first post in about a month so that must mean: First day of term

Today we found out if our adventure into Windows 7 pays off, whether our shiny new machines in the refurbished ICT suites are up to the challenge and most importantly, whether I can cope with wearing a monkey suit for the first time in 6 weeks.

It's going to be fun.

How was everybody elses summer?
    Pants tbh, 4 weeks incredibly hard work, and Ive had more abuse from staff that I've ever had before and yet they were told before the summer about the change-over and yet we don't get much thanks. We have had some though which is nice, clearly the world expected everything to be perfect on the new world like the old one but in reality it doesn't work that way.

Never mind children back on Monday so that can add more fuel to the already nicely burning fire of hate against the ICT Department for the new shiny network (that has just saved us 300 units of electric this month already!)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm actually quite amazed this time how nice staff are being. I worked most of the holiday programming a new merit system for the school, and it works - so people aren't complaining

Not to mention the imperial ton of other stuff I did as well.

I also have a PFY doing a few hours a week doing things like printing ID cards, and soon to be doing a full asset management audit of the school.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I'm actually quite amazed this time how nice staff are being. I worked most of the holiday programming a new merit system for the school, and it works - so people aren't complaining

Not to mention the imperial ton of other stuff I did as well.

I also have a PFY doing a few hours a week doing things like printing ID cards, and soon to be doing a full asset management audit of the school.
    Get the PFY to count the sky hooks in the main hall

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wizzard View Post
    Get the PFY to count the sky hooks in the main hall
    Along with the bucket of steam, skirting board ladder & left handed screwdriver.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Along with the bucket of steam, skirting board ladder & left handed screwdriver.
    A bag of sparks for the grinder and the old favourite ask for a long weight

Thank Post
    Well our fist day monday when the kids are getting back is gonna be a fail

We arent meant to have the new ict suite up and running. Thats not gonna be now....

We asked a2z (who we normally buy of, and have a support contact with them too) To order us a new 48 port switch and 64 ethernet cables and 2 hp fiber modules for the switch.

Normally they send us a pdf quote and we have to accept that, we told them just to order it, has we need it ASAP whatever the price.

But they did order it, just passed it to our sales manager

So that was a day delayed, we got the switch and HP modules, but no ethernet cables. So we couldnt plug the computer into the network or install Windows 7 on them from the WDS server. Plug the people that put the work surfaces in, also had not finished, they had not finished putting in some of the back edges and not finished drilling the holes for the cables to go through.

So we now have to go into work monday very eariler to get this also sorted, hopefully the cables have arrived, and everyone else have finished their job, so dieaster already on day 1

Thank Post
    Had 6thformers + new starters back thursday, and everyone was back on friday, everything went quite well considering the sheer quantity of change that has occured

people seem to be adapting to windows 7 + office 2010 ok, i was worried printing would be the big issue, but apart from a few minor issues it's gone ok.

I was pretty pleased yesterday afternoon, i was doing an hour and a half overtime in order to get the backups sorted (bit of an issue but sorted it at last) and the head walked past, thanked me personally for the work over the summer and said "as we all know you are the driving force behind it all" (which is true, not being arrogant but the other 2 guys here wouldn't have a clue what to do without me) and handed me a bottle of champagne the champagne was for congratulations towards having my son prior to the summer, but i like to think part of it was for all the work over time i had done, overtime of which i was never asked by anyone to do, and i have never expected extra payment for

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Wednesday was the first day back for staff with the machines not working - for some reason Impero V3 decided that every machine had to turn off after 60 seconds - some before then. So a quick call to them sorted that out.

The new Konika Minolta stuff hadn't been set up - so printers were not working.

I had a phone call before the ALevel results asking if I could sort out some issued from home as the technician was not on site. Turns out he hasn't done any work over the summer at all. I'm not sure if he's been in work! Who knows. Not me for sure.

All done now - so we should be okay for Monday. Year 7 used their accounts on Thursday and Year 10 on Friday so everything should go smoothely from now on. We only went Office 2007 before the hols so that seems to be working (although the job isn't finished!!!!). Not bothered with Windows 7. Maybe next year.

GJE

Thank Post
    Why you go to Office 2007? Why not Office 2010?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by p-dave View Post
    Why you go to Office 2007? Why not Office 2010?
    Hi p-dave - because we felt pupils and staff would be more comfortable with what they know. The large majority of them were running 2007 at home so we went with that. We will go to 2010 later in the year.

Also i had spent some time getting Office 2007 ready (we got it late) and couldn't be bothered with researching 2010 and starting again.

Out of interest - have you had your 2010 Fiesta 1.6 Zetec as outlined in ur sig?

Gareth

Thank Post
    After a summer of working like crazy trying to get the school back up and running, staff came back on friday and i just thought i was in hell, one IT room wasn't up and running. we moved over to server 2008 and windows 7 this summer, and we where going through on friday making sure things where working ok but all staff wanted was all there own problems fixing, evening tho all i wanted to do was get the school back up and running.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    Nothing major. some printers not connected after VLAN reshuffle. Minor DNZ problems. I'm not so stupid to do a win7 migration until I let you guys figure the pitfalls

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garethedmondson View Post

Out of interest - have you had your 2010 Fiesta 1.6 Zetec as outlined in ur sig?

Gareth
    Nah not yet still waiting for it. Factory was closed august I believe, so no process with it yet. Should get reg number and chasis number around the end of the month, then the car around end of October.

Well tbh I would say Office 2010 ain't much different to 2007, so you would have saved some time

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    although - we sent one and he did get a skirting bored ladder.... and you can now buy left handed screwdrivers (they could even one up and get you one suitable for both left and right.)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread