+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, What an afternoon! in General; THey do get staff trying to log onto them as work stations. I would not mind but the IT techs ...
    Thank Post

Re: What an afternoon!

THey do get staff trying to log onto them as work stations. I would not mind but the IT techs have a large office and wont put them in there and wonder why staff try and use them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

I store mine in primary schools in the staffroom, tends to be on a VERY high shelf that teachers (as most primarys are very female staffed) cannot reach, a lot cannot even really reach to put the backup tape in if its an internal drive

Anyway, just the usual crashing hardware etc, IP connectivity issues the usual

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

well my server is in a cupboard in the ict suite...my desk however is right next to the cupboard so that i can keep warm as i have no heating in the suite...

just waiting to hear how many complaints we've had about yesterday....

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by amyr
    well my server is in a cupboard in the ict suite...my desk however is right next to the cupboard so that i can keep warm as i have no heating in the suite...
    You work in the ICT Suite? I'm not sure I could do that, I find if I am working in the same room as the kids they distract me to no end. Whenever I accidently wonder into the ICT Suite while there is a class in there, it's about half an hour before I get to leave again due to "problems" with the programs that they happen to be using/typos in web addresses etc.

just waiting to hear how many complaints we've had about yesterday....
    It's a catch 22 situation really isn't it? Lol. If you ignored the smell of gas, people would have complained if the school blew up and killed everyone inside. They would also complain about safety regulations if you just ignored it even if the school didn't blow up. As it is, you spoke up and potentially might have saved the lifes of all those children and all people can do is complain?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

yep that's about it...they complain that they are safe and hungry or they complain as they are full and blown up...can't win either way!

i hate working in the ict suite...had the chance to work in the headteachers office yesterday whilst trying to speed up her laptop and it was soo peaceful...not one "can you just...." (favourite phrase in my school when they see me..."can you just set up the whiteboard ready for my lesson" can you just set up the projector in my mobile ready for my science lesson" can you just...)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Maybe I should try this could do with afternoon off

Russ

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,377 Times in 1,674 Posts

I am either in a cupboard that is within the small photocopier room - no ventilation, no windows, very health and safety conscious - Or I am in the ICT room behind a little bit of wall that hides my server from the kids!

I prefer my little room as I can sit quietly and do some repairs, testing or whatever (I actually have enough bench to put things on) although it is a little claustrophobic. But I just put The Archers, Brahms, My Chemical Romance or the Chilis on and get on with stuff.
    Working in the IT suite is a pain - I get a lot of " are you busy, because...." as I am fairly visible.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by WITCH
    I get a lot of " are you busy, because...."
    Yep, get that too...

It's particularly annoying when you're sitting there surrounded by screws, wires and assorted dismantled equipment, wielding a screwdriver - 'No, I'm not busy, I'm just doing this for fun!'

Thank Post

Our office/workshop/server room (ex classroom) has a door with a window (now covered with paper so nobody can see in) and it self-locks when closed.
    So, when the going gets tough, or we need to get something sorted without interruption we can retreat in there and ignore the knocks on the door........

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by crc-ict
    'No, I'm not busy, I'm just doing this for fun!'
    Hahahha, that reminds me. I was with my network manager a few months back in this office and we were taking a couple of broken computers apart and swapping components around trying to get one working computer and the headteacher walks in, took a look at the pile of components on the bench and the dismantled computers on the floor, stared at us and said "Are you doing this for work or are you doing this for fun?"

Thank Post

Our server was on the floor of the ICT Suite, and I did spend a lot of time asking small children to please not swing their legs around!! Now it is in the same room, but the ICT Suite has moved. Never had a problem with any children or staff touching it though - maybe I'm just fierce and scary and they wouldn't dare! Space is always an issue in any school, and the only solution is often not the perfect one.

As for working in the ICT Suite, there isn't much choice for me. There is no real place to escape anywhere in a school - I've even been asked to do things when I'm in the Ladies!! But primary teachers, at least, are in front of a class of children for the bulk of their day and have to fit in their requests for help around that. I think, reading other posts, I get away quite lightly as most of the staff are actually quite polite and appreciative, and if I can't do something straight away I say so and they're normally OK about it. Mind you, who knows what they're saying about me in the staff room when I'm not there!!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by projector1
    i had an eventful monday morning if that counts!
    http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?nam...ewtopic&t=6242
    strange the other techie here had to call out the AA too on thursday as his car overheated on his way to work! one of the pipes burst

what are the odds on two techies from one school both ring out the AA in teh same week with the same problem (just in case you are thinking that is the Automobile Association not the alcohol version)
    thank god its friday
    -----------------------------
    The more the network grows
    the greater the demand for support!

Thank Post

yep that's about it...they complain that they are safe and hungry or they complain as they are full and blown up...can't win either way!

i hate working in the ict suite...had the chance to work in the headteachers office yesterday whilst trying to speed up her laptop and it was soo peaceful...not one "can you just...." (favourite phrase in my school when they see me..."can you just set up the whiteboard ready for my lesson" can you just set up the projector in my mobile ready for my science lesson" can you just...)

And the answer to that is...."No..I just can't!".

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    Quote Originally Posted by tosca925
    I know a school that as all 4 of its servers in the staff room............?????
    Surely the student toilets would be safer?! 8O

Well I know one of our regular posters here from Brum has his server/ICT support room in an old converted toilet area. At one point they had a blockage in the sewerage system. Guess where the raw sewerage came out.....!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Heh yes I think I heard about that eduabncs... I guess the internet wasn't the only pipe connected to the room

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast