+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Why is it so complicated going to a Sikh wedding? in General; Why is it so complicated going to a Sikh wedding? I got to wear some head covering I know nothing ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Why is it so complicated going to a Sikh wedding?

Why is it so complicated going to a Sikh wedding? I got to wear some head covering I know nothing about don't know what it got to cover.
    Last edited by nicholab; 17th August 2010 at 09:21 PM.

Thank Post
    Why not ask what head covering is suitable?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It is wife's friend so the information has to pass through the right channels also I can't sit next to my wife.

Thank Post
    That is normal in Sikh weddings. I believe it is also the case in many other cultures - aren't the sexes separated in synagogues too?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Depending on how packed it is you might actually sit next to women in the temple. The Sikh wedding I went to I wore a large, red silk handkerchief tied like a bandanna ... as did other males who were not wearing turbans. I was pointed at The Sikhism Home Page: A Sikh Wedding and Attending a Sikh Wedding - SikhiWiki, free Sikh encyclopedia. for more information. It was a lovely day, the wedding feast afterward was fantastic. For me it was one of our University placement students who was working at the school as a techie and had adopted me as her temporary father whilst over here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why is it so complicated going to a Sikh wedding?-gobind_rupinder_tony.jpg   Why is it so complicated going to a Sikh wedding?-stephen_tony_at_rupinders_wedding.jpg  

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Never been to a Sikh wedding but I would expect it to be really good - the Sikhs I've known like good food and lay on vast quantities of it!

I was walking past one of the temples in Southall a while ago and they were obviously getting ready to feed a lot of people. Outside the temple people were sitting peeling onions on an industrial scale (ie several 25kg sacks of onions) and putting them in the cooking pans that are bigger than the average bath.

Thank Post
    When I last went to a Sikh place of worship, they said I could just wear a cap - as long as something covered my head. Obviously a cap is no good for a wedding (unless it's burberry haha - joke!). Tony looked quite smart with his red hanky - just do something similar to that.

The temple I went to had a box full of different head wear that people could just sift through and find something they liked.

I hope you have a good time. Sikhism is the faith that makes most sense to me, other than Catholocism. You'll meet some nice people I'm sure - after all, it's part of their faith to be pleasant and respectful to ALL.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread