+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, What to do? in General; Options: 1) Sell the house, move back in with rents until October 2011, save hard, and move to Cyprus 2) ...

Thank Post

What to do?

Options:

1) Sell the house, move back in with rents until October 2011, save hard, and move to Cyprus

2) Sell the house, buy a house in the village where I was born, and let the Cyprus dream die, hopefully living happily ever after

Thank Post
    Why do you want to go to cyprus? I know the weather is good but what about a job etc. Are you going with family or have family there?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    3. Sit down and have a think about both options, then go for whichever one will make you happier.

Option 1 does not rule out option 2. You could live with the parents for a while, as you make up your mind about what to do. If you're undecided then buy yourself time.

4. Thanks to jamesb from:

Hightower (17th August 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NikChillin View Post
    Why do you want to go to cyprus? I know the weather is good but what about a job etc. Are you going with family or have family there?
    I guess I want to go because when I look outside, I see a country that is failing, and failing fast. Cyprus is on the cards because my brother is heading there soon enough.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Personally I love Cyprus and completely agree with you about the country....I heard that by 2050 there will be more people living here than in France or Germany. I find that difficult to belive but how riddiculous does that sound to you?

It is all a question of what you will do for a job I suppose........you still have bills wherever you are hey!

Whereabouts in Cyprus are you looking at moving to?

Chris

Thank Post
    Just outside of Paphos, in one of the small villages/communities. The plan is to go with enough in the bank to live for a year without work. That should be ample time to find something to make a success of it.

I'm thinking £10-15k.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    I tossed a coin for you. you should go for option 1.

9. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

Thank Post
    I think you should create a poll and let us make the decision for you

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    Just outside of Paphos, in one of the small villages/communities. The plan is to go with enough in the bank to live for a year without work. That should be ample time to find something to make a success of it.

I'm thinking £10-15k.
    Nice, Paphos is lovely as well. Sounds like a good plan to me.......how about getting a parachute and a boat and getting into the parascending business. It cost me enough but I did love it and seemed like a great way to spend your day! Not to mention good views all round.

Good luck with it all though whatever you decide to do.

Chris

Thank Post
    Well, the missus has just texted me and things have been confirmed. Need to speak properly with her, but she's been offered her dream job today but only for maternity leave of 9 months starting November. This takes us up to August next year, and the wage is so much better.

I'm thinking now, sell the house, back with rents, save hard (made easier by OH's pay rise) and head to Cyprus once her 9 month contract is up.

Thank Post
    One other option, what about keeping the house and renting it out using a property management company, which will give you an income to cover the mortgage payments and you've still got the house as an asset and investment, plus if you decide to come back you've got somewhere that's your own still. You would need to change your mortgage to an expat mortagage though, which are slightly dearer.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    I guess I want to go because when I look outside, I see a country that is failing, and failing fast. Cyprus is on the cards because my brother is heading there soon enough.
    I think that is a very easy view to take.....However, the idea of moving abroad is always a nice one, until you actually go. It will be slightly better for you, because your brother is already heading that way. Moving is not the all round panacea though, and as mentioned above, you'd do better holding onto the house, and having it rented out.

You may find that that income is very important, 9 months down the line!

rad
    Thank Post
    Moving to the rents is a great idea, I take it this is your parents house, does she get on well with them and happy to be there 24/7?
    Is there space in the house you can go and be a couple together, not just the luxury of your bedroom? All sounds daft but the "dream" is one that wants to work, for it to work you have time between now and the time you leave.

If I wanted to go somewhere I would, the worst that can happen is you keep £200 in a pot as the emergency flight home money (should you need it) and then live back with the parents before sorting yourself out.

I'd say live the dream, if its something you want to do, go for it, life is there to be lived, dont live the "normal" life, live the life you want. (err hope that makes sense.....)

16. Thanks to rad from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,699 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rad View Post
    If I wanted to go somewhere I would, the worst that can happen is you keep £200 in a pot as the emergency flight home money (should you need it) and then live back with the parents before sorting yourself out.
    Sounds like a good idea until you consider that in 'living the dream' you are relying on other people to put you up when it all goes to pot. Speaking as a parent, of course we do the best for our children, but when do they become responsible for their own destiny? Jumping into things just because you want to, and expecting the parents to pick up the pieces and look after you if it all goes wrong is not a very adult way to go about your life, is it? By all means grasp all opportunities, but have a backup plan whereby you can look after yourself if it all goes wrong.
    Of course I would put my children up if they need it but 'boomerang' children who automatically run home when things don't work out is not the way I want my children to be!

(not a dig at you, Hightower - I'm sure you have sorted it all out but I would seriously think about keeping your house, at least until you have lived in Cyprus for a bit and found out if you really can get jobs that will keep the two of you)

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    My partners dad has a house in Cyprus, near paphos, we went over last year, lovely place

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information