+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Car Dealerships........... in General; ...
    @ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post

Car Dealerships...........

Today I was prepared to buy a new car, had the money, test drove it, brought my father along with me as he's a car person and knows everything about them etc..............I was happy to buy the car there and then and I had a car to part exchange and he offered me £150!!!! for my corsa! (1.4, P Reg, Auto, Mint Condition, 60,000 on the clock!), the car which I may still buy needs 2 new front tyres, when we asked him to replace them and said we have a deal if he would..............he wouldnt budge at all!! with any deal..................he just sat there ummmm'ed and ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh'ed about it!

and goes.....................I'll put £5 worth of petrol in it..........we quickly walked out!

The car I was getting was a Kia Cee'd GS 2007 with 18,000 on the clock for £6,400.

I always hear people saying "yeah we got this wicked deal etc etc blah blah blah"..........has anyone ever got a decent deal from a dealership?

Thank Post
    I got my X reg Astra with full Vauxhall/Motability service History, 50k on the dials, every piece of work ever done on it itemised in the book with dates and costs, with a full engine/autobox service, full Valet, delivered to me at work for £1950..Dealer wanted £2150 for it. I haggled him down on the EML light being on, and airbag warning lights being on.

Got it, plugged in the laptop, reset the airbag ECU, read the fault codes and cleared them out, set it to ecoflex servicing schedules, job jobbed.

My old P reg we got at a discount as well, as I went over it with a magnifying glass and picked up on any flaws I could.

Thank Post
    Got a fair chunk off the wife's civic by haggling like a b--tard, but it was brand new - always easier. Still, chummy you were talking to sounds like he's playing hardball a bit too much. Give him a week to stew - depends how long he's had it on the forecourt. If you can sell your car privately you may do better, specially if it has a bit on the MOT.

Thank Post
    We've put a £100 deposit on it, so no one looks at it or buys it, think we have another week before we have to buy it or not, but we are getting a call tomorrow about if they will replace the tyres, but I checked auto-trader and ebay last night for prices on my current car and I could get about £600+ for it!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeah I got a pretty good deal when I went to Vauxhall to purchase my new car,

- Full Tank of Petrol
    - Free Official Vauxhall Mats
    - 5.6 % Flat Rate
    - Full Valet (usual)
    - Usual Service etc.

Oh and 1year tax nearly forgot that, no mot was required.

+ I had the 1 Year Network Q Warranty

+ Knocked them down from £8,200 to £7,800 (car had done 7,000 Miles on 58 Plate)

Was a good deal me thinks, the best thing you can do is if you walk away because they have not really met your expectations, if they can really do what your asking they will be back on the phone sorting something out!

Sorry to hear about that though, what dealer was it?

James.
    Last edited by EduTech; 16th August 2010 at 12:50 AM.

Thank Post
    Essex Motor Group - Was trying to get a Kia......we shall see what they say tomorrow.

Thank Post
    I got a reasonable deal on a 99 plate Vauxhall astra, 69k on the clock with reasonable service history for £1100 - Got £50 part exchange on old cavalier which I wasn't fussed about - I'd had it 3 years and only paid £300 for it so it owed me nothing. It has just cost me £300 on the MOT admitedly, most of that was for a new exhaust system - it needed the whole thing which I wasn't expecting - I knew there was a blow, but assumed it was just the back box (I trust my garage so I know they would have only done the back box if that's all it needed) and two new tyres which I should have spotted at the time of sale, but all in all I was pretty happy.

Mike.

Thank Post
    If a car dealer thinks you are really keen on a car they have for sale they will sit back & wait for you..... so never show how keen you are when buying a car.

Always have a few other cars to look at & make it clear to the dealer this is your plan (even if it isn't). Be prepared to walk away; if the dealer wants your business they won't want you walking out the door & going elsewhere. It's worth trying to get a few prices for your PEX too, try a couple of other dealers & see if the price you are being offered is fair. Challenge them to show you the Glass's guide price for your old car.... If they are only offering you £150 for your old one ask how much they will knock off for no PEX..

If you have any VED left on your old car keep the tax disc & surrender it for a refund afterwards.

Quarter end is a good time to buy a car, the dealerships quite often have sales quotas to meet, especially for new cars at franchised dealers when they will often sell a few cars at cost price to make their targets as they get bonuses from their car manufacturers.
    Last edited by broc; 15th August 2010 at 11:58 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My ex's car (Family car for us).

Bought a W Reg Hyundai Lantra with 1800 (yes 1800) on the clock in 2003. Dealer wanted £6000, I haggled him down to £4500 and below is what we got also.

Full set of tires (including the spare)
    Full tank of petrol
    Full tax
    Full MOT
    Full service before it leaves the forecourt
    New bumper as the one on the forecourt had A LOT of scratches
    New left rear wing as it was rusting pretty badly
    Oil change
    New spark plugs
    New Cambelt (but not fitted, just put in the boot so we can replace when needed)
    New timing belt (but not fitted, just put in the boot so we can replace when needed)
    New floor mats
    2 years warranty (instead of 1)

£500 trade in on an R reg Peugeot 206 with an ECU fault, 2 injectors on there way out, needing 2 new tires, rusted pretty badly on the wheel arches and the cambelt needing replacement

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    + I had the 1 Year Network Q Warranty
    With it being only 2 you will still have 1 year warranty anyway. You can use this at any Vauxhall dealership

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeah but that does not cover my breaks and stuff, just mechanical parts where was the network warrenty supports that. Hence why my car is going in for new breaks and discs on saturday and it's free hehe

Thank Post
    I can't face buying a car from a dealer - and probably never will. Many of the cars on their forecourts were picked up from auction the week before for 20%-30% less, quick check round, then on sale they go.

£6400 for that car is outrageous. He wouldn't offer you much for the Corsa - it'd need to be shifted straight on to auction, and small autos don't sell well there.

Get a good idea of what the type of car you're looking for is making on Autotrader, Ebay etc, and go in with that knowledge. Ideally, sell the Corsa in the local paper, you'll get more for it and have potential for a better deal if you use a dealer too.

Thank Post
    Got my 53 plate Vauxhall Astra 1.7 CTDi with 80,000 miles in January for £650. Checked on Parkers and it said the car was worth £2000-£2500. Okay, it was a private buy - not trade - but thought it was worth posting up because I got a cracking deal!

Thank Post
    Yep. All my Vauxhalls are ex-motability fleet.. Bought from the "3 year end of period" auctions by the dealers. The guy when I bought the P reg was a slimy little sod, very pushy. Kept trying to pressure sell..."someone's coming to see it, very keen" etc, along with faking "interested party" phone calls in my presence. Bless him.

I left it a week and thought it over - I had my eye on an Astra estate too, as well as a Subaru 1800 estate. Just for the crack, as you do.

When I went back, he was almost relieved..hehe. He said to the missus - "so, when you learn to drive, you'll be coming back then?"..she said "no, not if you paid me. Sorry.".. She's honest, I have to hand it to her.

The guy I got the X reg from was the total opposite. Very up front, very open, very willing to accomodate. Handed me the keys, let me go through the history, start it up, check everything in my own time etc. Even arranged to tax it for me (Tax exempt at the time). A pleasure to buy from.

Not to mention when it got delivered to work, he accompanied it in his AMG Merc and ran me down to Shrewsbury DVLA to get it sorted, then out for a coffee before dropping me back at work. I'll buy from him again.

The guy I got the M reg "emergency, missus could drop at any second and the ECU in the main car has gone" Astra from was an utter, UTTER sh1te.

Never buy a car from Dream Car Sales, Telford — jemjabella.co.uk

An entry from the Missus' site about it...they sell sh1te cars with MOTs that HAVE to be iffy, and hide any and all advisories from you/remove fault bulbs etc and pass off scrap as "good runners".

I bought her half off her, as she's been threatening to turn it into a mobile BBQ. Me, I'm sure I can rebuild what's needed (brakes, exhaust, injection system/timing belt).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread