+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, I've got a new server! in General; After much heart-ache, angst and negotiation last term, I finally have a shiney new HP Server 2k8 keeping my 2k3 ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,184 Times in 1,617 Posts

Cool I've got a new server!

After much heart-ache, angst and negotiation last term, I finally have a shiney new HP Server 2k8 keeping my 2k3 server company in the cubby hole behind the photocopier! And we've installed 2 Casio bulbless projectors (one from scratch) this week.

As of this morning users can logon and access the shares (that took a bit of sorting).

There's still a list as long as my arm of things to do before I can say we're done, but all-in-all I'm a happy bunny this morning!

Do you ever get over that heart-pounding feeling of impending doom when you delete partitions on a server? "Do you really want to do this?"; answer Yes or No... I need a "No, not really, but I have to" option!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 790 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'd prefer a 'yes,but its not my fault if i mean no' option....

3. Thanks to Domino from:

elsiegee40 (12th August 2010)

Thank Post
    Do you ever get over that heart-pounding feeling of impending doom when you delete partitions on a server? "Do you really want to do this?"; answer Yes or No... I need a "No, not really, but I have to" option!
    It's on a par with a completely hung server that requires you to press the power-off button for five seconds and then restart it! That's when I start praying big time to the silicon gods!
    @Elsiegee it sounds to me like you've earned a cup of tea and biscuit break this morning!
    Last edited by joe90bass; 12th August 2010 at 10:55 AM.

Thank Post
    Wait till you have to manually edit AD to unpick wierdness. That's all manner of interesting.cn the first time you have to do it. Afterwards it's slightly disappointing that there wasn't more to it.

Thank Post
    Pressing and holding that power button is almost the most heart stopping moment in the world. The sad fact is no one else in the school understands why it is so scary.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,378 Times in 1,674 Posts
    Congrats on your new server! Is it a replacement or is it running alongside your current one? We have a lovely new one too but I have to say that it has locked up for no apparent reason on several occasions, resulting in that heart-stopping 'holding the button in' scenario!

Thank Post
    almost as bad as a server that wouldn't reboot after power cuts unless I had pulled the power socket out the back, pressed the off switch a few times, plugged it back in, had a coffee and a walk over to year 3 and back!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Congrats on your new server! Is it a replacement or is it running alongside your current one? We have a lovely new one too but I have to say that it has locked up for no apparent reason on several occasions, resulting in that heart-stopping 'holding the button in' scenario!
    That's not good Witch as its new, I'd be saying it could do with some more looking at to see why its doing that

Thank Post
    I tend not to have a problem with switching off a server where it is your only option, but I am currently in the predicament of having a server which wouldn't boot to Server 2008 after complaining about a problem with the RAID5, which is now just sitting there with a completely black screen and has been for about 30 minutes after an apparently successful POST! Is it booting really slowly (as it has sat with a black screen during boot for about 5 minutes before failing previously) or has it crashed again and needs switching off?! Do I leave it a little longer? Do I cut my losses and kill it? Argh!

Congrats on a server! What I wouldn't do for a new one or two.......

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,378 Times in 1,674 Posts
    Jawloms: I would have killed it if I were you!
    John: We have looked at it and cannot work out why it does it - nothing in any logs or anywhere, no issues at all. It doesnt happen that often (once a month?) but it is annoying

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,184 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Congrats on your new server! Is it a replacement or is it running alongside your current one?
    The two will run side-by-side, but much of what was on the old one is now on the new one. I've gone from less than 20GB of free space in total to LOADS!

Very busy day re-imaging the ICT Suite PCs which, for reasons unknown, took forever and then decided not to join them domain, so we had to do that manually!

I have to say that everything is running super-fast (apart from re-imaging)... but maybe that's because I'm the only one using the network!

Thank Post
    Proud but slightly scared owner of new server? Just out of interest as we are having a new one soon, did you set it up yourself or an have outside company to help. I'm not sure whether I will need hand holding through the tricky bits!

Thank Post
    Having recently set up a new server myself I can say that I was slightly concerned. However, it appeared to be easier than I anticipated, but I freely admit to holding on to Edugeek a few times. After all isn't that one of the reasons we are all here?

Thank Post
    Jawloms: I would have killed it if I were you!
    I would have done if Caps Lock wasn't still responding! Did eventually anyway. I figured if it wasn't going to do anything useful after four hours, it probably wasn't going to do anything at all!

Thank Post
    We must be really lucky, over the summer we've had 4 new servers. They should hopefully keep the network running smoothly for quite a few years to come. They're all working nicely at the minute but I'm sure a few issues will occur in September once everybody is back .

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast