+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, I've got a new server! in General; Originally Posted by chrbb Proud but slightly scared owner of new server? Just out of interest as we are having ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,635 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chrbb View Post
    Proud but slightly scared owner of new server? Just out of interest as we are having a new one soon, did you set it up yourself or an have outside company to help. I'm not sure whether I will need hand holding through the tricky bits!
    I've got a "man who does" He supports several local schools and did the original network install here. It was VERY useful to have him leading with the bits I don't know. It all went very smoothly... worryingly smoothly!

I was on my own today, making sure all the WSUS updates and other software updates rolled out; sorting out ActivPrimary which ALWAYS objects to java updates (but is easy to fix); and various other bits and pieces of tidying up such as flattening cardboard boxes! The only thing I didn't sort was NetOp which didn't want to talk to its students after the ICT Suite re-image, but frankly that can be done when I'm next in on August 23rd! I've had enough for this week!

I packed up at 1pm and took my son to Pizza Express as a thank you as he came in this morning and helped me!

I know I can't relax properly until everyone's logged in and using the network in anger, but I am feeling a lot better about it than I did this time last week!

Thank Post
    why september does it have to exist?? Networks are much better when nobody is using them, like a perfect chocolate cake before meeting the army of forks in a party.
    What it puts my heart upside down is the flipping noisy of the raid when a fellow fails, replace it asap else the raid corrupts!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    I've got a "man who does" He supports several local schools and did the original network install here. It was VERY useful to have him leading with the bits I don't know. It all went very smoothly... worryingly smoothly!

I was on my own today, making sure all the WSUS updates and other software updates rolled out; sorting out ActivPrimary which ALWAYS objects to java updates (but is easy to fix); and various other bits and pieces of tidying up such as flattening cardboard boxes! The only thing I didn't sort was NetOp which didn't want to talk to its students after the ICT Suite re-image, but frankly that can be done when I'm next in on August 23rd! I've had enough for this week!

I packed up at 1pm and took my son to Pizza Express as a thank you as he came in this morning and helped me!

I know I can't relax properly until everyone's logged in and using the network in anger, but I am feeling a lot better about it than I did this time last week!
    When we had the previous server installed we used a company that supplied the server and spent a day with us setting it up. I then copied the data across and set up the gpo (with an exact copy of my other school's gpo). I'm toying with the idea of installing server 2008 myself and seeing how far I get, but am a bit uncertain. It's always nice to have someone there to discuss things with and when you work as a sole tech it can be a bit daunting

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maestromasada View Post
    why september does it have to exist?? Networks are much better when nobody is using them, like a perfect chocolate cake before meeting the army of forks in a party.
    What it puts my heart upside down is the flipping noisy of the raid when a fellow fails, replace it asap else the raid corrupts!
    I have to say my network is running at lightning speed at the moment. Perhaps it was because there was only me using it, but it was wonderful!

When we had the preious server installed we used a company that supplied the server and spent a day with us setting it up. I then copied the data across and set up the gpo (with an exact copy of my other school's gpo). I'm toying with the idea of installing server 2008 myself and seeing how far I get, but am a bit uncertain. It's always nice to have someone there to discuss things with and when you work as a sole tech it can be a bit daunting
    With the HP 'magic disk' installation setup of Raid, server 2008 r2 etc was easy-peasy. The time-limit for registration is very short - the 60 days of server 2003 is no more.

Data was straightforward too: We recovered everything from NAS NTbackup of the old server onto the new server and checked it was OK before deleting data partitions on the old server and creating a single new partition and recovering selected data back into that partition.

Most of the shares were left on the new server.
    My man was most useful for making sure that AD, GPO and all the myriad bits that I touch infrequently, and the details of which are so easily forgotten, all worked. He was also an extra set of muscles without which I would never have got the new server to the second floor of our main building! Two brains on the job were very helpful, but not necessarily essential.

Thank Post
    The magic HP disk sounds good, that's the bit - configuring the raid that I thought might be hard. Did you demote the old server or just set the new one up as dc and delete the stuff on the old server. Also did you have to create a new domain name. So many questions sorry!

Thank Post
    The magic HP disk sounds good, that's the bit - configuring the raid that I thought might be hard. Did you demote the old server or just set the new one up as dc and delete the stuff on the old server. Also did you have to create a new domain name. So many questions sorry!
    New server was joined to original domain and is DC... my notes about what we did and in what order are at school and I won't be back til the 23rd. I'll PM them over to you when I get back to school... give me a nudge if I forget!

7. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

chrbb (13th August 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,410 Times in 1,694 Posts
    In typical triplet fashion this has been something that I also have been involved with. I have to admit, I got one of 'witch's men' as they are known, to give me a hand in installing our new server - mostly because I wasnt confident that I would be able to work out ALL the things I would need to do. As you say, it is very daunting on your own. If I had someone else there - even someone no better qualified than me - I think I would have been able to give it a go.

Thank Post
    I agree, someone else to use as a sounding board is invaluable, even if to ward off the 'my smartboard isn't working and I'm sure it's switched on' regular interuptions!

Thank Post
    I agree, someone else to use as a sounding board is invaluable, even if to ward off the 'my smartboard isn't working and I'm sure it's switched on' regular interuptions!
    That's the best bit of doing it this week. The entire school was closed to staff with the exception of me and the caretaker. We had a cleaning company in doing a deep clean this week and the electricians came and left without doing anything... (bursar's problem) It's all been very peaceful I don't normally work in the holidays (bar a few days), but it was worth it to get this done.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12