+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Staff Accommodation in General; Just wondering if anyone else is living in staff accommodation and what they get/have to do in return for one?...
    Thank Post

Staff Accommodation

Just wondering if anyone else is living in staff accommodation and what they get/have to do in return for one?

Thank Post
    When I was taken on (18 years ago or so) I was told that "no more non-teaching staff would be housed". Due to the need to demonstrate to the Revenue that "accommodation was provided solely and essentially for the better teaching", or some such twaddle. Otherwise you get hammered for a significant 'benefit in kind'.

Unless of course you happen to be a Bursar...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    I am in staff accommodation at present. It is not provided gratis, but is significantly cheaper rent than the surrounding area.

The flats we have were built to aid teacher recruitment by providing a semi-temporary arrangement for those moving from far away so that they can sell up, move here, and find a new place at their leisure. I got one simply because I asked nicely and there were many empty at the time. Empty flats cost the school money in terms of both lost rent and council tax that the school has to pay when they are not let. A condition of my lease is that I can be given a term's notice at any time if the other flats are filled and one is needed for a new hire.

Officially I do not have to do anything in return, but I do make myself useful, for example by attending to alarms and moving on trespassers when the person the caretaker isn't around (I already have keys and codes to everywhere as part of my normal job). While it isn't expected that I do any of these things, I know it is appreciated and having goodwill from SMT in the bank is never a bad thing.

Thank Post
    Not living in staff accomodation but wouldn't say no if it came up, the school have 2 houses and a flat, two of them were supposed to be let out cheaply to newly qualified teachers to help them get started but those that got them have pretty much stayed there and probably won't be going anywhere for a while. From what I understand the rent is about a third of what it should be.

5. Thanks to Jamman960 from:

ChrisC (11th August 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    My last school had a small boarding house (60 boarders m/f from 13-18) and they were short staffed for 1 term so I moved in to help out. Got a massive room with en suite, breakfast lunch and dinner with access to a fully stocked kictchen 24/7 and in return I had to do 1 weeknight duty a week, and 1 weekend duty a month. I also organised trips to the movies, paintball, gokarting etc, (but that was more just so I could go too :P)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    My last school had a small boarding house (60 boarders m/f from 13-18) and they were short staffed for 1 term so I moved in to help out. Got a massive room with en suite, breakfast lunch and dinner with access to a fully stocked kictchen 24/7 and in return I had to do 1 weeknight duty a week, and 1 weekend duty a month. I also organised trips to the movies, paintball, gokarting etc, (but that was more just so I could go too :P)
    Thats pretty much what I got, 2 bedroom house to myself with boarding duty for the boys house to be shared between 5 of us and three meals each day including weekends and lots of trips to go on.

Thank Post
    The charity who own our schools grounds have a staff house. But because they're a separte registered charity they have to rent at market rates.

I think I must have been the first none teacher to make enquiries, they had trouble comprehending that I couldn't afford to pay 550 a month.

Thank Post
    Whilst there is staff accomodation on site it's prety much "teacher only". The only exceptions are the site manintenance forman and caretaker who have properties on site (for obvious reasons).

Having said that I don't think I would want to live on site. OK the commute to and from work is shorter but I like the seperation between work and home. Also can you imagine how many calls you'd get if you lived on site and could "nip in"?

Thank Post
    I'd actually like to live on site - would save me a fortune in petrol!!!! Unfortunatly only accomodation here is caretakers house.

Butuz

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread