+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Another Foxconn suicide* in General; Despite Safety Nets Foxconn Staffer Falls to Death Who on earth even thought up the concept of putting a no-suicide ...
    Thank Post

Another Foxconn suicide*

Despite Safety Nets Foxconn Staffer Falls to Death

Who on earth even thought up the concept of putting a no-suicide clause in contracts?

They even have nets around the factory to (try to) stop employees from jumping.

What a truly sad state of affairs.

* Could have been an accident, but pigs might also be known to fly.

Thank Post
    Are the working conditions really that bad?! They get a dormatory and more than likely 3 meals a day

Thank Post
    The article says 800,000 people are employed at the plant, no idea how big the plant is but I'm guessing that living conditions aren't great, they've also more than doubled production-line worker pay... seems a bit crazy to me, how can any company afford to double so many workers pay unless they are seriously underpaying people and generally treating them badly.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_2k View Post
    Are the working conditions really that bad?! They get a dormatory and more than likely 3 meals a day
    So do guests at Her Majesty's pleasure.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AyatollahPies View Post
    So do guests at Her Majesty's pleasure.
    And they have above average living conditions even for this country

Thank Post
    It's absolutely terrible.

I don't know the shifts they work but the deal they're getting isn't that bad, I know you've compared it to prison and I've read the shifts are terrible, most of China working conditions aren't too different from what I've read, then again, as it's a high profile company as they work with large corps... I guess it is more shocking or at least reported on more because of the connections.

The fact they've put anti-suicide nets in... shows the mentality, prevent a death not hit the root cause, a few counsellors... isn't going to really cut it.

Has to be more to it than meets the eye, I doubt it'll ever get fully investigated. Of course all my opinions, nothing is based on fact and only on what i've read.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    The WHO's official (though admittedly old) figures peg the suicide rate in China at almost 14 per 100,000 annually. At 800,000 employees, Foxconn would have over a hundred per year if they were tracking the national average.

I'm not saying the conditions are great, but statistically speaking, workers there are less likely to commit suicide than the average person in China.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think it might also be worth looking at comparable-sized companies, and checking their suicide rates.

The thing is.....although there is no condoning the conditions that these people work in, it is all too easy to be looking in from the outside, and decrying $300 a month as inhuman. However, if your cost of living is significantly cheaper than elsewhere, then it really doesn't matter how much you earn.

I think this is probably being blown out of all proportion, imho.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamman960 View Post
    The article says 800,000 people are employed at the plant,
    Other articles give that as a company wide figure, which is still a huge number, but more believable. Southampton has a population of 200,000 or so...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,728 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    requested that staff sign no-suicide contracts
    Like that will work. Is the person who signed the contract going to care if they are dead?

Thank Post
    I also read the staff were being beasted for iPhone, iPad thefts and were threatened if they were thought to have stolen stuff.

Scary, I doubt it'd be an easy task finding out suicide rates at other companies, who's to say the 18 reported aren't just a small proportion of the actual deaths... I doubt it though, the press are pretty good at that kind of background work.

Thank Post
    And just outside of the photo we have some nice chaps pointing big guns I imagine.

Foxconn gets the pompoms out to raise morale at 'suicide factory' - Asia, World - The Independent

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhyte85 View Post
    I also read the staff were being beasted for iPhone, iPad thefts and were threatened if they were thought to have stolen stuff.

Scary, I doubt it'd be an easy task finding out suicide rates at other companies, who's to say the 18 reported aren't just a small proportion of the actual deaths... I doubt it though, the press are pretty good at that kind of background work.
    But who's to say that these 18 suicides are ALL to do with the work?

What percentage are because Wai Ling, on the next machine, has fallen in love with Chen Leng, but he does not love her? Why is it assumed that these are ALL due to working conditions?

The press can also be incredibly rubbish at that kind of background work!

Thank Post
    Maybe we should post this link over to British airways, the way to get a raise is 4 of your staff members need to commit suicide!!!! thats it no more strikes, managers will start hiring slaughter staff so that they can get them selves a rise lol,

Thank Post
    wai ling is in love with chen leng, but i thought Wai Ling wanted Sam sung and le Chung, now im confussed, maybe its beacause they have been told that someone in the building with a surname on chen or lee really likes you but you have to work out wich one it is, that would mess with anyones head lol

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast