+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Knowledge transfer / Hivemind among site staff and getting it written down. in General; Our school site is byzantine in layout and configuration. We very recently had a fire alarm installer almost in tears ...

Thank Post

Knowledge transfer / Hivemind among site staff and getting it written down.

Our school site is byzantine in layout and configuration. We very recently had a fire alarm installer almost in tears of frustration because a) he was working from poor documentation from 1992 b) we've had lots of work done since then c) the original install is not logical at all.

The info is available if you ask, but you need to know who to ask, which itself requires asking people who to ask. Too often this is ending up as "Pete will know". As people retire, more knowledge is lost.

Has anyone managed to get their site staff to document things? How well did it go? While a wiki would be ideal, I think it'd be a barrier to entry in a few cases.

Thank Post
    I took over my school with no documentation whatsoever! I have managed to write a site profile which shows where to find things, what server is for what and where to find equipment etc. I haven't started working the network out yet!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_2k View Post
    I took over my school with no documentation whatsoever! I have managed to write a site profile which shows where to find things, what server is for what and where to find equipment etc. I haven't started working the network out yet!
    I don't mean IT documentation. I mean things that caretakers and handymen know but don't write down such as "that's the drain that blocks if you don't clean $apparently_completely_unrelated drain and subsequently floods $area".

Thank Post
    Thats very true. We are spoilt rotten with the new school I work at as we have all the architects diagrams etc and even photos of the build stage. But yes, documentation is often a second consideration.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    A lot of old school buildings will be like that, the limited plans we have for ours are so out of date its stupid, its more a case of get stuck in and learn and nosey around. It also relies on other contractors such as your sparkys, plumbers etc documenting what they have done fully which often doesn't occur

I am documenting where all the data and fibre cabling runs as part of the Network Handbook (thats been made as the new LAN is made) so at least it says Fibre for Cabinet X runs via the duct that is in under Room Y etc, fine it needs people to know where Room Y is and that there is an access door there but gives more info than just how it appears.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread