+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Flexi-time in General; During half-terms and summer holidays does anyone get flexi-time? My line manager has removed this from me as it was ...

Thank Post

Flexi-time

During half-terms and summer holidays does anyone get flexi-time?

My line manager has removed this from me as it was deemed unfair on the admin and finance staff that don't receive it. Of course it would seem unfair but I'm not a part of the admin team and minimizing disruption is best done when nobody is (in school) logged onto the network!

I arrive at school, for example, 10am and leave at 6pm as this gives me a 2 hour window opportunity (office staff work from 8/8.30am till 4/4.30pm) to do whatever I like without worrying someone is logged on and is about to lose the work that they've been doing.

So, am I the only one not liking this or have others received similar treatment?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,638 Times in 2,042 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't receive flexi-time, but my manager is very flexible with when I work.

However, I have a question - was this done as a change to your contract? If so, was it done with consultation etc...? As it stands, it sounds like you've had the terms of your contract changed without your agreement - which isn't allowed.

Thank Post
    Thing is, my bursar's predecessor gave me the flexi-time at a time when I was trying to rip out an RM CC3 network whilst trying to get in a vanilla. I guess you could say it was given to me in good faith. The current bursar is a man-eater. HT's fine with me having flexi-time, but she'll go behind his back changing things. To be honest, I don't like politics so I'm not gonna throw up a fuss. And it's a clear reminder to always have it put down in writing.

Thank Post
    We have flexibility here but if you can't do the things you need to do while the computers are in use tell them that all upgrades etc will have to wait until the holidays.

Thank Post
    Seams harsh ...

If it was me, Id go over your managers head and put the question to the head.
    Mention the fact that there are times when you have to shutdown the network and this cannot be done in normal hours, and working through breaks to minimise down time and they should be sympathetic to your needs.

Failing that work your hours, and down tools for break and going home and the disruption should reignite the discussion.

Thank Post
    I don't get flexi-time but I'm often lucky enough to get flexible working when needed. Last week we had a(nother) crisis with the sale of our house meaning I needed to take the afternoon off (school hols time luckily) to make numerous urgent phone calls. I dropped our head an e-mail explaining and said the work I was doing could be done remotely and I'd make the time up that evening, this was okay with her. During term time though it is very dependant on what's going on. I dont see me ever getting flexi time in my contract though!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'd imagine your line manager sees more benefit you being around when other staff are in to sort any immediate problems. One way around this is to have remote access and to be available over the phone. You have to follow the business interest of your job and it seems reasonable your line manager is just trying to achieve this. I'm sure he would be flexible should it be needed.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread