+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Our First Lot Of Honey !! in General; I spent all morning with the Science Teacher today extracting our first lot of honey from our hives. As this ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts

Our First Lot Of Honey !!

I spent all morning with the Science Teacher today extracting our first lot of honey from our hives. As this was the first time we had done this we just used 4 frames and managed to get 14 jars !! We are going to need quite a few more jars as we have another 50 or so frames full of honey.....

Link of short video of the frames in the extractor.

Honey Extracting3 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

2. 2 Thanks to mattx:

bossman (29th July 2010), john (29th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,051 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    how much for a jar? I would happily pay for a couple if they get shipped properly!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    how much for a jar? I would happily pay for a couple if they get shipped properly!
    At the moment we are just giving it away to see what people think. The best time to get the honey is around Sept but as we have so much in our first year we wanted to see what was involved in extracting it. I'll keep you informed and will happily send a jar if I can find a good way of shipping it without it breaking or spilling everywhere.
    I took a few jars home with me today to give to neighbors etc, one of the jars leaked a little all over my waterproofs in the back of my Givli box, they are now as you can imagine quite sticky !!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How does it taste?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 821 Posts
    Blog Entries
    "Well," said Pooh, "what I like best -- " and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called.
    I think that quote sums up my love of honey

7. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

mattx (29th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    How does it taste?
    Lovvvvvvverly.......and very sweet.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 821 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Lovvvvvvverly.......and very sweet.
    Okay, I'm not liking this thread now! I'm positively salavating as I read and I know I had the last of my honey this morning. Gonna have to take a trip to Asda in the morning and buy a jar.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    Okay, I'm not liking this thread now! I'm positively salavating as I read and I know I had the last of my honey this morning. Gonna have to take a trip to Asda in the morning and buy a jar.
    .....which won't be as nice, pure & fresh fresh fresh as mine.....!! If I do some tomorrow I'll put a jar aside - just for you.

11. Thanks to mattx from:

tmcd35 (29th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 785 Posts
    @Mattx:

Did you rush to work this morning by any chance?
    Just that looking at the pics you have posted you will notice you have your teeshirt on inside out hehe!! (just an observation my friend )

The honey looks absolutely to die for, lovely and clear, have you tasted it yet? does it have any subtle undertones of flavour like in other areas for example dependant on the type of flowers available in the surrounding area?

What are you going to call it? Perhaps Mattx's buzzin honey fresh from the B?

Congrats M8 something I have been wanting to do for quite some time now but not had the time or the motivation to do (something for my retirement me thinks)

13. Thanks to bossman from:

mattx (30th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Wow, that looks fantastic mate, a perfect tribute to a friend I say.

15. Thanks to kmount from:

mattx (30th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    @Mattx:

Did you rush to work this morning by any chance?
    Just that looking at the pics you have posted you will notice you have your teeshirt on inside out hehe!! (just an observation my friend )

The honey looks absolutely to die for, lovely and clear, have you tasted it yet? does it have any subtle undertones of flavour like in other areas for example dependant on the type of flowers available in the surrounding area?

What are you going to call it? Perhaps Mattx's buzzin honey fresh from the B?

Congrats M8 something I have been wanting to do for quite some time now but not had the time or the motivation to do (something for my retirement me thinks)
    The chap in the pic is the Science Teacher Chris - he joined the school about 2 years ago now and has had a massive impact. It's great that he also has a passion for keeping bees etc. We were really grinning and excited when we started getting jar after jar filled !!
    The honey is just perfect - so sweet it's incredible. I will be buying some porridge this weekend just so I can pour a load on it. Most of the pollen and nectar has come from the nature reserve which are blackberry bushes etc. The bee activity around them over the last 8 weeks have just been amazing. Because of this I would go as far as saying the honey has a sort of taste around that but my god it's sweet. I have been a bit naughty sometimes and when inspecting the hives, pulling some of the excess cone off and sucking the honey out -quite incredible taste.
    The honey at the moment is just called St Johns Northwood Honey - the label has a Paranamic pic of the school I took a few years ago with Science Techs name on [ who sadly passed away a few weeks ago ] - we want to keep that now and we will add our names either side of it [ myself and the Science teacher ]
    If anyone is thinking of getting into keeping bees I highly recommend it - it's great learning about them, it's easy, very rewarding and best of all it gets you out of the complete and utter crapness of the ICT world [ and for me that's just fantastic !! ]

Thank Post
    Turn some into meed and you might make a profit

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Did you run the honey though a filter (fly screen is usually good) before bottling it?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,119 Times in 1,024 Posts
    See if DOS_BOX ( aka edugod ) will let you setup an edu honey shop - am sure lots on here will buy it Maybe some some free samplers

Do you / him have a guide on how to set all the stuff up / hints / tips / advise etc on getting it all going

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p858snake View Post
    Did you run the honey though a filter (fly screen is usually good) before bottling it?
    Oh yes, that's vital - a very fine mesh came with the extractor we got - as you can see:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast