+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Our First Lot Of Honey !! in General; If you do decide to sell it, let me know about bulk prices. I've been trying to source quite a ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If you do decide to sell it, let me know about bulk prices. I've been trying to source quite a lot of honey to make mead but there really aren't that many places to get it nearby.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    If you do decide to sell it, let me know about bulk prices. I've been trying to source quite a lot of honey to make mead but there really aren't that many places to get it nearby.
    I certainly will - may have a go myself at making some too !!

3. Thanks to mattx from:

jamesb (30th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    I certainly will - may have a go myself at making some too !!
    Easy to do, but does take some time. The last batch I made was with cheap Tescos honey, and a few cups of pomegranate juice (for flavour, not essential). Other than that it's pretty much like making any fruit wine. I recommend using high-strength turbo yeast, and feeding the brew as you feel necessary. I fed mine twice over eight months but I like a rather sweet mead. I do know people who brew it more as an ale than a wine as well.

Just be warned if you haven't had mead beforeand you're brewing to a high strength - you only ever get one mead hangover, and it's an absolute killer.

Thank Post
    how much have you spent so far on the bee's, hive and kit used with them?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mjs_mjs View Post
    how much have you spent so far on the bee's, hive and kit used with them?
    just thought i'd pop in to give my own answer to that one.

I built a hive last month for £45, i got given a bee suit but that's the only other specific piece of bee equipment i use and they can be had for £40

It doesn't have to be an expensive hobby

How to Start Beekeeping...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Great Stuff! Nice Work looks nice!

Thank Post
    I have to be honest, I'd love to keep bees. I'm in the process of purchasing my first house which has a nice long garden. I already plan on growing veg and salads, and having a beehive there would be pretty awesome. The top bar hives look easy enough to knock together.

Thank Post
    Just spent the afternoon getting our second batch off - another 30 or so Jars. I've stored the honey in a large honey container - this should get the air bubbles out in a day or so - then when my jars arrive [ just ordered another 144 ] - I'll fill em up !!
    As an experiment I've taken the super containing the frames and the remains of the wax down to the hives and plonked them just outside - with a bit of luck the bees [ and flipping wasps ] - should clean it all up for me. So far in total we have got around 60 pounds off - and I think there is at least another 40 pounds to get.........

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fafster View Post
    I have to be honest, I'd love to keep bees. I'm in the process of purchasing my first house which has a nice long garden. I already plan on growing veg and salads, and having a beehive there would be pretty awesome. The top bar hives look easy enough to knock together.
    go for it, that's all i've got, a long garden.
    I'm probably going to put a second hive in next year (it's easier to guard against disasters like losing a queen that way, but not essential)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 811 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quick question, where abouts did you keep your hive?
    Was it far away from people at all?
    It all looks very cool tbh.
    Oh you wouldnt happen to have a pic of the hive as well?

Thank Post
    Here's mine

It's against one fence which borders a path and road. You can't tell the hive is there when standing on the pathway.
    We have neighbours the opposite side but i doubt they can even tell either, the bees don't spend too much time in the vicinity, they're always coming and going

Thank Post
    Pic of our setup - hoping to get another 2 next year.

Loads more on my flickr account if anyone wants a look.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattx27/

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbeast View Post
    Here's mine

It's against one fence which borders a path and road. You can't tell the hive is there when standing on the pathway.
    We have neighbours the opposite side but i doubt they can even tell either, the bees don't spend too much time in the vicinity, they're always coming and going
    That looks great. I've read that the top bar varieties don't provide as much honey. How much do you get, and how often, from yours?

Our garden is pretty long, but a path runs up the centre to off-road parking at the end. How much activity is there with bees going back and forth? Would they be a nuisance to people?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It depends, If there is the foliage around there that they food off, slightly more likely to, but if the trees and such aren't then theres less chance, Also you would need to send notices home that the school plans to do this and keep it in a securish locations so kids can't be idiots around it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fafster View Post
    That looks great. I've read that the top bar varieties don't provide as much honey. How much do you get, and how often, from yours?

Our garden is pretty long, but a path runs up the centre to off-road parking at the end. How much activity is there with bees going back and forth? Would they be a nuisance to people?
    Well i've only had them a couple of months, yes they're not as productive in terms of honey as a 'traditional' style hive, but they produce more wax, something i can use equally well, if not moreso for candle and soaps. We don't eat a lot of honey so i'll probably be giving it as gifts.

My garden too has a path up the middle to off-road parking at the back, plus my workshop/shed is directly opposite the hive about 8' away.
    I use the garden as normal, we store our wheelie bins the other side of the hive about 1m away.
    I can sit literally in contact with the hive watching them while they carry on regardless. Only when a little agitated (for example if they're havign a bit too much attention from wasps/hornets, etc...) will they send out a guard to discourage me.
    At times the entrance (and surrounding air) can get quite busy but even so, they're doing their thing and don't care about me.
    Remember honeybees die if they sting, so it tends to be a last resort. I've only got 2 stings in the 2 months i've had them and each time it was my fault (once i had to shake some bees out of a feeder without a bee suit on and the second was while doing a little comb surgery to straighten things up inside)

17. Thanks to Greenbeast from:

fafster (4th August 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast