+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 38
General Chat Thread, TV programs in General; Just wondering what everyone is watching on the box. Never been a big fan of TV but really loving Mongrels ...
  1. #1


    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,047
    Thank Post
    42
    Thanked 161 Times in 93 Posts
    Rep Power
    143

    TV programs

    Just wondering what everyone is watching on the box.

    Never been a big fan of TV but really loving Mongrels (BBC IPlayer if you have missed it..) and the new Sherlock.

    And on Sky/cable the new series of Lie To Me* is quite good..

    Anyone have any recommendations?

  2. #2
    pauljonze's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Staffs
    Posts
    86
    Thank Post
    17
    Thanked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Rep Power
    22
    Comedy called 'Rev.' about an inner city vicar on BBC2 has amused me, Tom Hollander is well-suited to the part and there's a great supportig cast.

  3. #3


    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,327
    Thank Post
    1,380
    Thanked 850 Times in 543 Posts
    Rep Power
    639
    I'm not sure about Sherlock yet. Yesterday has started a rerun of the Onedin Line. Worth watching just for the sailing scenes.

  4. #4
    markcuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    586
    Thank Post
    29
    Thanked 60 Times in 55 Posts
    Rep Power
    37
    shortland st

  5. #5

    creese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    -28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Posts
    3,197
    Thank Post
    174
    Thanked 371 Times in 301 Posts
    Rep Power
    173
    Yes Rev is very good.
    Not sure either about Sherlock, House is the best modern day adaptation of Sherlock Holmes in my opinion.
    Trauma, not currently showing, put Casualty into ebven more shame than ever.

  6. #6

    LeMarchand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The deepest pits of hell
    Posts
    2,143
    Thank Post
    297
    Thanked 331 Times in 235 Posts
    Rep Power
    141
    Really enjoyed "Sherlock", apart from that (and "The IT Crowd") we're just working through the vast stock of recorded shows we have over the summer break.

    Looking forward to "The Event" and "Game of Thrones".

  7. #7


    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,047
    Thank Post
    42
    Thanked 161 Times in 93 Posts
    Rep Power
    143
    Just watched a clip of Rev and it does look quite good, will have to catch up.

    Never watched House, Is it good? Lie to Me* and The Mentalist can be a bit Sherlockish.

  8. #8

    creese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    -28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Posts
    3,197
    Thank Post
    174
    Thanked 371 Times in 301 Posts
    Rep Power
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamH View Post
    Just watched a clip of Rev and it does look quite good, will have to catch up.

    Never watched House, Is it good? Lie to Me* and The Mentalist can be a bit Sherlockish.
    House is actually based on SH. House - Holmes. Wilson - Watson. They share a flat 221b His team are the Baker St Irregulars. A drug addiction. Well worth a watch.

  9. #9


    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,047
    Thank Post
    42
    Thanked 161 Times in 93 Posts
    Rep Power
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    House is actually based on SH. House - Holmes. Wilson - Watson. They share a flat 221b His team are the Baker St Irregulars. A drug addiction. Well worth a watch.
    Ah, never made the connection. isn't it more medical consultancy then crime solving? Might have to pick up the first season and have a look.

  10. #10

    LeMarchand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The deepest pits of hell
    Posts
    2,143
    Thank Post
    297
    Thanked 331 Times in 235 Posts
    Rep Power
    141
    Couldn't get into House. Every episode I saw seemed to be:

    1) Weird medical condition.
    2) Try a bunch of painful and invasive procedures to try to work out what it is/cure it.
    3) Use some clever reasoning to deduce the cause and cure it.

    I realise most shows could be broken down like that, but it's step 2) that I always found annoying. No wonder you need good health insurance in the US!

  11. #11

    creese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    -28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Posts
    3,197
    Thank Post
    174
    Thanked 371 Times in 301 Posts
    Rep Power
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamH View Post
    Ah, never made the connection. isn't it more medical consultancy then crime solving? Might have to pick up the first season and have a look.
    Crimes on the human body by those pesky germs :-) That's the clever part, instead of copying Conan Doyle the writer has modernised it without going down the same road of 'casual' crime consultant. I particularly interested as one of his first diagnosis iin several cases is Sarcoidosis, it never has been except once when he was in the bath, drunk. Someone else discovered it. I am suspected of having this but as yet it hasn't been confirmed.

  12. #12

    creese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    -28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Posts
    3,197
    Thank Post
    174
    Thanked 371 Times in 301 Posts
    Rep Power
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    Couldn't get into House. Every episode I saw seemed to be:

    1) Weird medical condition.
    2) Try a bunch of painful and invasive procedures to try to work out what it is/cure it.
    3) Use some clever reasoning to deduce the cause and cure it.

    I realise most shows could be broken down like that, but it's step 2) that I always found annoying. No wonder you need good health insurance in the US!
    Basically, yes. But you missed the various personal relationships (mostly disfunctional) and interactions. You could sum up most TV the way you have, beginning - middle -end. Of course it's not for everyone but there is a lot more going on in House than that.

  13. #13

    LeMarchand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The deepest pits of hell
    Posts
    2,143
    Thank Post
    297
    Thanked 331 Times in 235 Posts
    Rep Power
    141
    I can never take HL's accent seriously, either. (Even though apparently a lot of Yanks think he is American).

  14. #14

    creese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    -28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Posts
    3,197
    Thank Post
    174
    Thanked 371 Times in 301 Posts
    Rep Power
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    I can never take HL's accent seriously, either. (Even though apparently a lot of Yanks think he is American).
    There are an awful lot of accents in the US, I'm far from an expert on any so couldn't comment, except it is far more accurate than Costner's Robin Hood.

  15. #15

    LeMarchand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The deepest pits of hell
    Posts
    2,143
    Thank Post
    297
    Thanked 331 Times in 235 Posts
    Rep Power
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    There are an awful lot of accents in the US, I'm far from an expert on any so couldn't comment, except it is far more accurate than Costner's Robin Hood.
    I'd put it on a par with Crowe's.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Greetings, programs
    By JHarrold in forum Educational IT Jobs
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 7th August 2009, 09:36 PM
  2. All programs missing
    By shadow57 in forum Windows
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2nd November 2008, 07:17 PM
  3. Programs Menu
    By jcs808 in forum Windows
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12th May 2008, 04:08 PM
  4. startmenu programs
    By strawberry in forum Windows
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12th July 2007, 08:17 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •