+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Charity fundraising in General; I'm planning a charity fundraising cycle ride soon, and wondered if anyone had any advice on how to raise sponsorship ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Charity fundraising

I'm planning a charity fundraising cycle ride soon, and wondered if anyone had any advice on how to raise sponsorship and funds.

Obviously I'll be trying to get people at work on board, as well as family and friends, but I'd like to do more as well. I will be trying to recruit the local paper, though I think it's unlikely they'll pay much attention to an individual when there are much larger groups at the moment.

Anyone who wants to help me out is more than welcome, but mainly I'm just looking for advice having never done anything like this before (except as part of a large, organised event).

Thank Post
    Hi James,

I'm doing a charity ride from Brussels to Arnhem in September so I know that feeling.

You have the beginnings right, family, friends, work colleagues, etc.

I would always email/write/contact the local companies even if it's something for a raffle prize. Tell them why your doing it, what you are doing, what it means to you.

Below are what I have done so far:
    • Put your bmycharity/justgiving link in your email signature
    • Contact your nearest train station and ask to do a collection there
    • Take stuff to a car boot sale (Ask your friends for stuff to sell as well)
    • Do a bake sale or coffee day at your local hall/church/house
    • If you have a local paper/news letter that goes around, tell them about it

A quick google can give you more ideas.

Don't be afraid to just ask people straight out as people won't volunteer money

Which charity are you raising for?

Hope that helps a little.

3. Thanks to PeteW from:

jamesb (26th July 2010)

Thank Post
    OK, just seen your signature

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Going from De Panne to Sluis myself. And thanks.

The charity themselves are sending me some nice, official sponsor forms and a pack, so hopefully that'll make life easier.

Thank Post
    As with any kind of event/attempting to persuade people to donate money I always find that the biggest problem is drumming up support and enthusiasm for it. The first step would be to try and raise everyones awareness of the event and to try and get them involved, however this is often quite a difficult challenge.

For example, if you are trying to organise a party the first step would be to set the date, ask if people are interested, officially ask them and then maybe book a venue. It's generally not until the last minute that things start to go wrong, people will say that they will come along and yes, you'll have a few decent people who will stick to their word but most people will either be too busy doing their own things or they'll just plainly forget or just can't be bothered. No matter how much awareness you try to raise, sending emails, banners, posters, flyers, newspaper adverts, absolutely anything most people will still bail out at the last minute. The same applies to those who have signed sponsorship forms.

I sometimes think that trying to raise awareness/gather cash for charity/organise any events goes against human nature as more often than not, people simply don't want to co-operate with anything. Slightly cynical, yes but mostly true. At the end of the day, do it for yourself and the charity, those who help you out and happen to contribute are just bonuses.

Also, don't underestimate the amount of effort when it comes to these kinds of things, lots of co-ordination, planning and training is needed if it's going to be a successful ride. Good luck!

7. Thanks to Sarconia from:

jamesb (26th July 2010)

Thank Post
    I did a charity cycle ride in Sri Lanka 8 years ago. I must say that it was very hard work trying to fundraise…

At the time I setup up a JustGiving website (was very new back then!), my own website detailing upcoming events and training updates etc. I wrote 100’s of letters to companies for sponsorship (either financial, donated rifle prizes or sponsored clothing whilst cycling), (home made) printed t-shirts, race nights, raffles, car boot sales, summer fates, newspaper articles, friends, family, bag packing / collecting at supermarkets etc.

Technology has moved on a lot since then, you could add daily update blogs (with video) or even have live GPS based tracking showing exactly where you have cycled to.

I find that outside your family / work / friendship circle it is very hard to fundraise. People tend to only donate to their preferred charity etc.

But if you don’t ask, you don’t get!!

Good Luck and all the best!

9. Thanks to MYK-IT from:

jamesb (26th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarconia
    As with any kind of event/attempting to persuade people to donate money I always find that the biggest problem is drumming up support and enthusiasm for it. The first step would be to try and raise everyones awareness of the event and to try and get them involved, however this is often quite a difficult challenge.
    I've got a couple of months, so if I batter people over the head enough with it during that time hopefully I'll get some response.

No matter how much awareness you try to raise, sending emails, banners, posters, flyers, newspaper adverts, absolutely anything most people will still bail out at the last minute. The same applies to those who have signed sponsorship forms.
    I'll be trying to encourage people to use the JustGiving site if I can - saves me hiring any thugs to help me collect sponsorship money.

I sometimes think that trying to raise awareness/gather cash for charity/organise any events goes against human nature as more often than not, people simply don't want to co-operate with anything. Slightly cynical, yes but mostly true. At the end of the day, do it for yourself and the charity, those who help you out and happen to contribute are just bonuses.
    Cynical or not, it's pretty much true. The charity I'm going with is underfunded anyway, as are most charities of it's type. Just making people a little more aware of them would make me feel better, if nothing else.

Also, don't underestimate the amount of effort when it comes to these kinds of things, lots of co-ordination, planning and training is needed if it's going to be a successful ride. Good luck!
    The ride (hopefully) shouldn't be a problem. The lodge is booked for the night's stopover in Sluis and we're borrowing a flat from family members in De Panne for the other two days. The training is another matter, I've got quite a way to go before I'll be comfortable with the idea of 50 miles a day. I think that I can do it, but it's not something I've done before so lots of training is planned.

Quote Originally Posted by MYK-IT View Post
    At the time I setup up a JustGiving website (was very new back then!)
    Did that the other day (as you may have guessed, the project's just starting at the moment) and actually had a letter from the trust asking if I'd like a sponsorship pack and t-shirt within a few days. Really wasn't expecting that at all, but it's a nice gesture.

my own website detailing upcoming events and training updates etc.
    I will definitely be taking this bit of advice. I'll see what I can set up this weekend, and if there's a way to get my SportsTracker training data onto a widget or something on the blog.

Good Luck and all the best!
    Thank you both.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread