+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, IT qualifications in General; Hi i guess most of you guys are like me and came in to the job through industry and gained ...

Thank Post

IT qualifications

Hi i guess most of you guys are like me and came in to the job through industry and gained qualifications like MCP A+ etc, a question i always get asked by our students who want to be an ICT technician/network manager is what courses they should do whilst at school and subsequently at college, has anyone come via the college route that can give some insight? thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts

Re: IT qualifications

Bit of a generalisation there then on the route people have taken into their current job.

I went to university and got a computer degree and then started in a secondary school as ICT Technician after a couple of years there I moved into a single handed network managers position for another 2 years and am currently in my third school again as network manager but with 2 technicians.

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I consider myself very fortunate, in that I started the job with only my GCSEs (all A-Cs). Since then, I've done NVQ 2 (almost completed L3) in System Support, and I'm halfway through CCNA.

Thank Post

After finishing school I went to a college and did a BTEC ND in computing. (Some uni's wont accept these now, but it was better for uni course as it gave me more experience). After that i went on to uni, and did a degree in computer science. After that i got a job as a full time technician, but went back to uni in the evenings to do a Masters degree in computer science.

After almost 2 years as a tech, i became a systems manager in charge of 2 techs, which is what i'm doing now. 10 months in and things are going well, about to get a third tech.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post

I did a real ComSc degree (sorry axe to gind over shit cs degree that friend is now doing) before getting into this job.

Thank Post

after school i wemt to college and did a btec nd in telecommunications.
    after that i managed to get a job at hte local IT firm which in turn sent to do a 1 day a week HNC in computing. going next month to do my MCDST course for 5 days over feb half term! this is my first job in a school much better than industry I think so any way!

Kris

Thank Post

Got my A-Levels, my GCSEs. All through this process I was working part time at a local internet cafe, then a local computer shop, doing repairs, sales, etc.

Spent a year at Uni, dropped out for various reasons involving my family.
    Ended up working for Tiny's helpdesk. Then to a dotcom that sadly went bust (like so many).

Moved back to gloucestershire and after a period of part time employment started work in a school as a Junior Technician, a year and a bit later moved back towards London as a Senior Technician, a year after that got the post of network manager.

I've gotten where I am mostly by experience and my wits alone. I've completed a number of MCSE courses but not taken the exams.

I'm aware I need to change this at some point and get some documented qualifications to my name, but work and life just keep me too damned busy...

Thank Post

I have none, except a computer science degree. Not that there was much content about computers as such. Although I do find the theory quite insteresting

Since then I've done some apple training, but no other training since I started. Not that I haven't learnt anything, I would like to do the formal Vmware ESX qualifications, would be useful for when bsf hits and I need to find a nice job somewhere!

Thank Post

"generalisation" of course it was how do i know what route you all took? is there a standard one ben?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I think you should always value experience over any qualifications. Some of the more common industry qualifications seem to be particularly abused. Anyone who's had to conduct a practical test for and interview knows the kind of people who seem to be attracted to the job.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts

Uraken: I meant the generalisation that most people came in via industry.

Ben

Thank Post

I left school with 8 GCSE's... i think all A to C and went straight to college and studied ICT at an Advanced VCE level and then got my first IT job as a trainee. which is where i am now.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Lee_K_81
    After finishing school I went to a college
    Blimey - you went to finishing school - was it in Switzerland?

Seriously - those of us of a "mature" age usually just drifted into IT from other things (I have a degree in Industrial Engineering), when there was a shortage of staff in the 80s.

I tell kids to train up to be accountants - its a lot more use to them than IT. :?

Thank Post

Ah yes now i see ben its a fair point (which you make superbly well, now had i gone to college i would have spotted my generalisation first time around)
    Thanks for all your insights i'll tell them to try and get into plmbing then (via college)

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    I think you should always value experience over any qualifications. Some of the more common industry qualifications seem to be particularly abused. Anyone who's had to conduct a practical test for and interview knows the kind of people who seem to be attracted to the job.
    My Senior IT Tech has a degree... In Philosophy. He's about to take on a newly created Developer role. Like me he has taken the 'knowledge by experience and experimentation' route. I wish more people valued experience over qualifications. Sadly in the greater world it doesn't seem to be the way of things a lot of the time...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast