+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Camping - Cornwall in General; Okay, after some great recommendations made here when I posted last week about camp sites over the lakes, I'm back ...

Thank Post

Camping - Cornwall

Okay, after some great recommendations made here when I posted last week about camp sites over the lakes, I'm back again!

Today I may (fingers crossed) be buying a tent - just gotta hope the rain keeps away so I can see it up.

We're looking to go to Cornwall this time on Friday 6th Aug for 5 nights. Can anybody make recommendations for a campsite in the area. An electric hookup is required for the tent pitch (hair straighteners and that! sheeeesh!).

Thanks,

HT

Thank Post
    Your probably going to run into some mutually exclusive situtations

When we booked our campsite(Watergate Bay- Newquay) back in April - we could only get a pitch for 6 nights as all the others had gone.

If you could get a campsite with electric now - would it be any good?

If it rains badly - there will be plenty of pitches available with electric
    (Ours will be available from next Saturday if the 5 day forecast is bad on Friday )

But good Luck!

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnix View Post

I didn't pay as there was nobody to collect the money on the campsite. However, karma was restored when my engine blew up just outside Barnstaple.
    That wouldn't be from going up the A361 would it? We're going that way that next weekend - laybys are full of cars with bonnets up and bottles of evian being sacrificed!

If you're not fussed about going right into Cornwall - Croyde Bay is lovely and has several camp sites. Camp Sites in North Devon

I'll look out for you in the Thatch!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 982 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chrbb View Post
    That wouldn't be from going up the A361 would it? We're going that way that next weekend - laybys are full of cars with bonnets up and bottles of evian being sacrificed!

If you're not fussed about going right into Cornwall - Croyde Bay is lovely and has several camp sites. Camp Sites in North Devon

I'll look out for you in the Thatch!
    Wonder if they have any quad bike tracks that you can pay around £20 for the day for your own quad bike ??

Thank Post
    In fact - we're planning on going to Wembley on Sun 8th so can anyone recommend a site ANYWHERE that is not too close to Wembley (couple of hours away is nice) but is on the same route to Wembley from the North East of England?

Can't make my mind up where we want to be, and seeing as this is our first real expedition in our newly bought tent recommendations go a long long way!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 812 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Can't remember the name but there's a cracking site at Holywell Bay, about 5 miles out from Newquay. Far enough away to be nice and quiet yet close enough for convenience. Beach is fantastic, scenery is great. Real easy access to newquay, truro etc etc via main roads straight out the site.
    Beach is also slightly famous too as it's where they filmed the korean beach scenes at the start of bond's die another day.

Thank Post
    Not much help with the camping, it's been years since I tried it - but we'll be just outside Newquay very soon after that weekend, if you're still down there...

The cider farm's well worth a visit

Thank Post
    Argghhhhhhhh! We found a nice place last night in Cornwall, but after a bit discussion we have now decided to do something over the lakes. The reasons being A) I didn't fancy doing the 450 mile journey in a oner, but also don't want to pay for a hotel/pitch the tent for one night on the way down and B) 450 x 2 with additional miles getting around for the week will work out at about £150 in diesel - or an extra week somewhere more local.

So the plan is this summer to do local sites, save the money on diesel and hopefully that money will allow us to get an extra week in somewhere or other. Emailed a few sites over the lakes but it's getting harder to find a site with a pitch that has electric! *sigh* Gonna end up in a farmers field for a week at this rate!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    We're looking to go to Cornwall this time on Friday 6th Aug for 5 nights. Can anybody make recommendations for a campsite in the area. An electric hookup is required for the tent pitch (hair straighteners and that! sheeeesh!).
    What's wrong with a fire going and a good pair of hot irons?

You'll only lose hair to them if you're careless after all.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnix View Post
    Hair straighteners. Camping. Hmmm. Almost all toilet blocks have 240v. Will this not do?

Well, for under £100 you can get a small generator. These are quite quiet, and you'll only need to run them for a short while.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    What's wrong with a fire going and a good pair of hot irons?

You'll only lose hair to them if you're careless after all.
    It was hard enough to convince the missus to go camping, but the added bonus of electric is what she requires, and my good lady always gets what she requires.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    Okay, after some great recommendations made here when I posted last week about camp sites over the lakes, I'm back again!

Today I may (fingers crossed) be buying a tent - just gotta hope the rain keeps away so I can see it up.

Thanks,

HT

its a shame your not camping in cornwall theres some great places to stay, and there a good cycle route over here as well called the camel trail, me and my mrs went on it and was a really good laugh, goodluck in finding some where to camp

Thank Post
    Dartmoor is lovely this time of year.. no electric hook up points though..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kevbaz View Post
    Dartmoor is lovely this time of year.. no electric hook up points though..
    Bike with a bottle dynamo and a little stand to lift the rear wheel from the ground? All you'd need to do would be pedal fast enough while she's using the hair dryer.

Thank Post
    After realising we still have to get down to Wembley from the lakes which will take a good 5 or 6 hours, it looks like Cornwall is back on! It makes more sense to drive 8 hours in a day then have to go to Wembley and back in a day which could be 10-12 hours!

I feel like all I've done the past couple of days (at home obviously!) is look for camp sites! I'm absolutely sick, so have left it in the capable hands of the missus. lets see what she can find us (with availability!).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    In Cornwall I’d recommend Rose Clifton near Newquey- buses etc throughout day and night into town, swimming pool, electric hook ups, not too full of rowdy kids and quite reasonably priced.

Cheers,

Mark

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast