+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Camping - Cornwall in General; Originally Posted by Hightower After realising we still have to get down to Wembley from the lakes which will take ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    After realising we still have to get down to Wembley from the lakes which will take a good 5 or 6 hours, it looks like Cornwall is back on! It makes more sense to drive 8 hours in a day then have to go to Wembley and back in a day which could be 10-12 hours!

I feel like all I've done the past couple of days (at home obviously!) is look for camp sites! I'm absolutely sick, so have left it in the capable hands of the missus. lets see what she can find us (with availability!).
    living down here there are loads of campsites but one of the best is this one Hendra Holiday Park, Newquay, Cornwall. Holiday caravan park. hope this help you and the Missus find a place any questions pm me and i will find some more for you

Thank Post
    Another +1 for Hendra Holiday Park. One of the best in and around Newquay, but also one of the pricey ones.
    There was a reference earlier in the thread about a nice one near Hollywell Bay - I am confident that they will have meant Trevornick Camp Site. If they did, that's pretty good too and is slightly out of Newquay so a bit more chilled out!

I grew up in Newquay and still live fairly close - near the Eden Project - so know most of the ones around.
    If you want some reviews from an honoury local look no further!

Thank Post
    Well it all came down to availability - we wanted a grass pitch to cope with a 7.5x5m tent, with EHU. We found one the other night with availability and have booked that one.

Dolbeare or something - the missus booked it.

Thank Post
    Just got back from a 4 day camp in the Peak District..
    If you're looking for sites then The UK Camp Site for Tent and Caravan Campers in the UK is a good place to look, also allows you to read reviews about the sites before you make a decision

As for electric hookups - I think that this is a cheat if you are under canvas - tell ur missus she needs to "rough it" for a few days.. or an iron on the old Camping Gaz stove should sort the hair issue out.. lol

We used to camp a lot down in Cornwall way and there was a great site near Polperro that we used to stay on, though going back at least 15 years now so god knows what state its in now...

Thank Post
    If anyone did fancy a camping session in Cornwall, I live here. and can recommend many lovely places based on your "what we'd like to do on holiday list"

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    As for electric hookups - I think that this is a cheat if you are under canvas - tell ur missus she needs to "rough it" for a few days.. or an iron on the old Camping Gaz stove should sort the hair issue out.. lol
    Camping Gaz? That's not roughing it - if you're not roasting your food on a spear over a roaring bonfire then you're not really camping!

Thank Post
    I would recommend you consider joining the camping and caravanning club; being a member will get you significant savings on site fees at club sites & they are all maintained to a high standard & more importantly the site staff enforce reasonable spacing between units. Members only pay for 'people' not the pitch.....

Their website is handy for checking which sites have space & for online booking too.

8. Thanks to broc from:

Gatt (28th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Funnily enough there's a discussion ongoing about this at the UK Campsite forums. I can see both sides of the arguments with it, but my feeling is if we want electric then that doesn't make us any less hardcore. We like going for walks, and being away from it all for most of the day, but it is nice to be able to come back to those little luxeries we have all gotten used to.

Thank Post
    My wife and I had a discussion about it as well after I posted that.. my problem with tents and EHU are the ones that take the TV, DVD Players, XBOXs etc (yes they do - believe me listening to kids fighting for the controller is NOT fun!) which is quite frankly a tad too excessive..

However, if its for stuff like smaller items, such as phones or even a DS Lite or similar if you have younger kids who get bored quickly when its piddling down then I can see why EHU could be a benefit.. Phones can be essential if you need help quickly - not for checking facebook (the number of people I seen walking around with their phone surgically attached to their hands whilst they tweeted "Just walking down to the shower now.." was shocking [though I admit to send ONE FB status update during the time I was there and even that was late on!]) but if you have a decent car charger then even thats not an issue if you spend a few quid on a power inverter... **note to self do not use this when the car is not running **

I havent included anything like Hairdryers or as the OP said, hair straightners, shavers, etc - as there are usually power sockets available for these in any site with a decent shower/toilet block..

I still hold that taking too much stuff kinda defeats the point of going on a camping "holiday" - if you want all the mod cons - go to a by hotel! (or stay at home)

We have a 2 ring Gaz burner and 2 Gaz lanterns, and anything went into the same pot or a frying pan, we may get a single burner as well for boiling water, and a few storage boxes, but we managed just fine without an EHU

My wife is a caravan gurl, who I am now slowly converting to camping - successfully so far.. and even she was passing similar views to EHU and tents.. Caravans have never appealed to me - most likely since I am a seasoned camper...

Thank Post
    @Gatt: That's my view. I don't see the point in taking PS3s and TVs etc etc, but an EHU would allow us to have some 'luxeries' such as a fridge, phone charger (we like walking strange places so a phone is useful lol), and even a lantern (I'm not a fan of gas lanterns for some reason). It's all about a compromise to me. I want the EHU to compliment our camping experience, but not to dictate it if that makes sense?

Thank Post
    It is probably booked up for this year, but try to get into Broad Meadow House next year! Their web-site isn't too great (they aren't "surgically attached to our computers"), but search for reviews and they all seem positive. Breakfast is included and they even provide tents for the pitching-challenged.

Some pictures at www.ukcampsites.co.uk

mb

Thank Post
    @Hightower - I agree completely that its about compromise and it should be to compliment the trip whilst not taking it to the extreme.. As for lanterns, I like gas lanterns, but due to the shape of our tent (a SunnCamp Stratus 8 - damn good tent!) we can only put it right in the middle of the roof, and we kepp bumping it when moving about and we cannot get it in the bedding area without burning the place down! So we're gonna look for an LED one for that...

We're looking at going again near the end of August around Morecambe / Blackpool area...

Thank Post
    @Gatt: I'm a member of the UK Campsites forums, and these are the ones everyone is raving about at the minute (for LED lights).

At 4 you can't really grumble even if they are rubbish!

Wilko LED Light Multi-Purpose | Torches & Bulbs | TV Accessories from Wilkinson Plus

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    An electric hookup is required for the tent pitch (hair straighteners and that! sheeeesh!).
    From Boom time in the great British outdoors for happy 'glampers'

Quote Originally Posted by Waily Wail
    Portable toilets, electricity points for mobile phone chargers and hair straighteners - and even fridges to chill the bubbly - are also considered necessities.
    Looks like Ekopod is the place to go!

mb

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just came back from a weeks camping in Cornwall....

Site was Valley View, in Blackwater, just outside Truro.....

Great, central site, with hook up, and easy access to all the beaches! Well worth going to , and we'll go there again next year!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast