+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, what the DEA could mean to LAs and schools in General; This may be useful for some clarification Practical suggestions to remain compliant with the Digital Economy Act : JISC...

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,463 Times in 980 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by figgy View Post
    should you (LA, school, public intermediary of any kind providing access to the internet) be classed as an ISP, which is looking highly likely.
    Source for your "highly likely" statement?

Thank Post
    This is from the page I linked to above, looks like a valid point has been raised by the op:

The closing date is 30 July 2010. Public sector bodies are strongly urged to respond to this consultation, and where possible outline the following ramifications for their organisations as a result of the Act:

The ambiguity of the wording in the Act whereby public sector bodies may, by virtue of their activities, be defined as both ISPs and subscribers
    The implications and impact for them in providing online and/or wifi access to students and/or visitors as a result of their potential definition as ISPs under the Act, as well as the effect on them in being classed as subscribers
    The costs that they are likely to incur in ensuring that they have the necessary technological infrastructure in place to comply with any obligations associated with their definitions of ISPs under the Digital Economy Act
    The impact on their organisations of being responsible for 25% of costs associated with allegations copyright infringements in their role as ISPs

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Of course this could be a cause for concern, but we really need sourced facts about this. Saying this is 'highly likely' without any evidence could cause unnecessary concern.

Thank Post
    I was going to post something about how badly this will work, or wont as I strongly believe. It is so bad, I won't even waste my time on it. There was enough pressure before the bill was pushed not to do it, so i don't see how whining about it afterwards will help.

Simply put, I'll just wait for when Sony Music insists we shut down e2bn because they found 3 mp3's on some school's PC. And then wait for them to turn off the internet to 10 million people across the country, and watch Virgin/BT and the others sue them for damages.

Next they are going to stipulate that all IT techies must wear a Pineapple on our left shoulder at all times. It makes about as much sense, and probably just as easy/hard to enforce.

Thank Post
    Completely agree with all the points being made. Firstly, I should say that the link posted by teejay is to all the original presentations and papers from a meeting organised by the Strategic Content Alliance (JISC) and the British Library on June 29th. The aim of the meeting which was attended by representatives of public intermediary organisations, Museums, Libraries, Cultural and Heritage organisatios, Universities, LA's, RBC's, Schools, lawyers, BT and others, was to mobilise the public intermediaries to respond to the OFCOM consultation on the obligations.

It's too late to do anything about the Act itself but what we can do is argue for some type of exclusion for public itermediaries from the obligations which will be costly to implement and highly unlikely to produce a result for the copyright owners. By responding to the consultation there is a hope that we could stop people like yourselves being told to spend thousands, tens of thousands, pssibly hundreds of thousands of pounds on systems that will prove useless in achieving their objectives.

Unless we respond and make it clear how inappropriate the obligations are to the internet service provision chain that covers LA's/schools we will get lumped in with everyone else and it will cost you either in order to conform or as a fine for non-conformance!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12