Poll: Have you been censored on this site via PM regarding tone, or had a post pulled?

+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Censorship on Edugeek in General; Have you ever run into censorhsip issues on this site. With forum admins pulling posts or contacting via a PM ...
    Thank Post

Censorship on Edugeek

Have you ever run into censorhsip issues on this site. With forum admins pulling posts or contacting via a PM to change your tone?

Yes or No. Nice easy poll to answer

Thank Post
    Nope never had any issues with the forum at all.

I dont tend to do anything naughty though

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Define 'censorship'. Or should I say 'are you redefining censorship to include moderating inappropriate posts?'.

It can't be answered as a simple yes or no, as one man's censorship is another man's moderating inappropriate behaviour...

4. Thanks to localzuk from:

SimpleSi (23rd July 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyx View Post
    Have you ever run into censorhsip issues on this site. With forum admins pulling posts or contacting via a PM to change your tone?

Yes or No. Nice easy poll to answer
    damn, my reply got censored....

Thank Post
    I take speech to be free. So in my personal view moderation is censorship as well.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 790 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This AGAIN?

Really?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyx View Post
    I take speech to be free. So in my personal view moderation is censorship as well.
    Bit of an odd view to take on a privately run forum... Speech is free within the bounds of a set of rules, in all societies. Try shouting 'bomb' in a cinema in the US and you'll be nicked. Use racist language in the UK and you'll be nicked. Behave inappropriately on EduGeek and you'll be moderated... Even Article 10 of the European Convention on Human Rights (Freedom of Expression) includes an 'in accordance with law' and 'necessary in a democratic society' restriction allowances.

None of those are censorship to me. None of them are trying to withhold information for some nefarious, political, religious or similar means.

If there was a 'censored? no. moderated? yes' option, I'd tick that...
    Last edited by localzuk; 23rd July 2010 at 01:49 PM. Reason: fixed an incorrect 'a' which should've been an 'an'

9. 11 Thanks to localzuk:

CESIL (23rd July 2010), Domino (23rd July 2010), Gatt (23rd July 2010), john (23rd July 2010), laserblazer (23rd July 2010), LosOjos (23rd July 2010), maniac (23rd July 2010), Ric_ (23rd July 2010), robk (23rd July 2010), TheRedGuy (23rd July 2010), ZeroHour (23rd July 2010)

Thank Post
    Never had an e-mail/PM asking to change tone or pull any of my posts, then again... I don't think I'm that bad - if that started happening without good reason I doubt i'd use the forum anymore.
    Last edited by dwhyte85; 23rd July 2010 at 11:58 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes i have had a post removed, but i deserved it and knew it was going to happen!

Doesnt keep me awake at night!

Thank Post
    If people don't like the way a forum is moderated why are they here?

13. 3 Thanks to maniac:

Gatt (23rd July 2010), Little-Miss (23rd July 2010), OutToLunch (23rd July 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    If people don't like the way a forum is moderated why are they here?
    That is what I am wondering as well. Wanting to see if it is just me and my style of posting that is the issue.

The issues that annoyed re censorship/moderations related to a small post relating to a free(ium) software tool, RM and BSF.

I think my answer should have been to stop using this site, as my views appeared in conflict with this privately run forum.
    Last edited by monkeyx; 23rd July 2010 at 12:07 PM. Reason: typo king

Thank Post
    MonkeyX - I get what you're saying.

However, everything you say/I say/We say effects the reputation of Edugeek, consider they're not a charity, they earn money by I guess advertising on the site and probably getting information from polls or whatnot (I don't know, just a guess). If you say 'BSF SUCKS THE BIG ONE, GOVERNMENT ARE DUMB LOLZ' people wont say AH MonkeyX said it, it'll go back to Edugeek and that's not what they want to happen.

I've not had a problem on here, only with people and how I read things they say - then again, it is a professionals forum - people are quite... to the point and have every right to have an opinion, sometimes mine isn't the same!
    Last edited by dwhyte85; 23rd July 2010 at 12:16 PM.

Thank Post
    Freedom of speech is all well and good but you've got to keep it within reason.

For example, I'm not going to talk about topics such as religion, politics, sex or wages whilst I'm at work as I might a) get my butt kicked for doing so and b) inadvertantly start an argument by offending someone. These are all valid topics and can be discussed elsewhere though but at work, I'd generally say they were a no no.

One of my colleagues who is heavily into religion is always opening her mouth and spouting views which could offend people. The best one so far has been the "tattoo's are the mark of the devil" comment which was made to me directly. I don't personally have any tattoo's but I was rather shocked by that view and that someone would say that at work as it really could offend some people. It's those kinds of comments which should be kept away from certain environments.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The Internet is not free and there is no free speech unless you own your own server and domain name. It is a collection of privately owned networks and servers that you connect to and post what the site owner allows you to post. If you don't agree, then you find another site or set up your own.

Some sites do have little or no moderation but the content on them is of little or no good taste as a result!

18. Thanks to CAM from:

OutToLunch (23rd July 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by siuko View Post
    Nope never had any issues with the forum at all.

I dont tend to do anything naughty though
    Me neither. My wife would say that's because when I leave for work every morning she tells me to "be a good boy at school".

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast