+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, New job, awkward medical questionnaire in General; I've been offered a fantastic new job - had the formal offer in a letter - but they have also ...
    Thank Post

New job, awkward medical questionnaire

I've been offered a fantastic new job - had the formal offer in a letter - but they have also sent me a medical questionnaire which I am concerned about due to the job offer being subject to such.

In other words, I fill it in, they look into it, and if there is something in there that doesn't meet their criteria, the job offer could potentially be withdrawn.

I don't want to hand my notice in at my current job yet because of this, but I am concerned to approach my new employer and make my dilemma known. Obviously, if I hand my notice in, and then my new employer withdraws their offer, I'm up the proverbial creek.

There is nothing in my medical history that concerns me, but that isn't to say it won't concern them.

What should I do?

Fill in the questionnaire, hand in my notice and cross my fingers; or fill in the questionnaire, then speak to my prospective employer and voice my concerns explaining that I won't be accepting the job until I know I have satisfied their requirements in regard to the questionnaire? I really don't want them to think I am being fussy, as this is a fantastic career move for me, but by the same token, I don't want to be put in a very difficult situation if things don't go as planned.

I have to give 4 weeks notice at my current employer, and I won't be starting at my new place for at least 6 weeks, so I do have some leeway in the timings.

Your thoughts are most welcome. What would you do?

Thank Post
    The medical will just be a formality unless you have some underlying problem which you don't or have not specified, which you indicate you have not. I would not be too concerned. Alternatively you should contact the new employer and express your concerns.
    Last edited by jsnetman; 22nd July 2010 at 07:51 PM.

3. Thanks to jsnetman from:

techtopia (22nd July 2010)

Thank Post
    First off, congrats on the new job :-)
    Medical questionnaires are the norm these days, don't worry about it too much, but it might be worth mentioning your concern to your new employer. If you get it in quick they should be able to get it turned round before you have to hand in your notice.
    Oh and finally, don't be tempted to lie or not disclose something on the medical form, if it gets found out in checks then that could lead to dismissal.

5. Thanks to teejay from:

techtopia (22nd July 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,672 Posts
    If there is nothing to see, then dont sweat it. I have asthma and back problems and it is recommended that I dont pick up heavy things (I've never carried a 19in CRT across the school of course) and I havent had a problem.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,605 Posts
    Our medical form, based on the one supplied by the Independent Schools' Bursar's Association looks like a nightmare... ....however it is pretty unlikely that anything on it would prevent you getting a job. Employers need to ensure that they cater for employee's medical needs, such as supplying me with a chair that provides suitable support for my back as I have had 2 operations and 6 months off work with a back injury (previous employer)

If you decline to complete it, you will be turned down. Fill it in honestly. If there is cause for concern, the most they'll do is ask for you to undergo a medical to prove fitness to work and TBH that doesn't happen very often.

Our job application form is also a nightmare now due to the Safeguarding questions schools must include... I'm afraid the days of a cv and covering letter have passed in schools.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    (I've never carried a 19in CRT across the school of course)
    So how many times have you "not" done this then? LOL

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,878 Times in 1,396 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was honest and put my migraines, and to be fair, they didnt really have much of an issue until i used an old monitor, and now H&S paid for some sparkly new glasses for me, I am happy as anything! Nothing to worry about and be honest!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    I was honest and put my migraines, and to be fair, they didnt really have much of an issue until i used an old monitor, and now H&S paid for some sparkly new glasses for me, I am happy as anything! Nothing to worry about and be honest!
    Sparkly new glasses! I now have visions of Elton John sitting at a computer!
    Last edited by chrbb; 22nd July 2010 at 09:34 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,878 Times in 1,396 Posts
    Blog Entries
    lol...nah they look like sun glasses, however they are polarised and anti glare and fixed to my prescription.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I put down that I had a dodgy knee ... and it meant that I had a workstation assessment within the first few weeks of my job to make sure I had the right chair, footrest, etc ... it can work *for* you too.

Thank Post
    I suspect that if you have had a written offer of employment and they subsequently withdraw that offer on medical reasons after supplying after making no mention of any medical requirements earlier, that they would be on dodgy ground.

In reality, I suspect it's just some red tape to make sure that they cater for your needs.

Thank Post
    Congratulations!!! I've recently had a medical for my new job, unless you have a severe medical condition it's a formality, I turned up and they basically 'looked' at me took my blood pressure asked a few standard questions and sent me on my way.

Thank Post
    Don't worry about it, virtually all employers will ask this (probably as they have to). As long as you're generally in good health then it should be fine

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread