Poll: Ad blocking... thoughts?

+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, General thoughts on Internet adverts - block or not? in General; LGFL/CLEO have recently started blocking most ads, and even though I have edugeek in my list of sites for adblock ...
    Thank Post
    LGFL/CLEO have recently started blocking most ads, and even though I have edugeek in my list of sites for adblock to allow (it's pretty much the only one in that list) I get the sad face every time I load the forums

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by truslack View Post
    LGFL/CLEO have recently started blocking most ads, and even though I have edugeek in my list of sites for adblock to allow (it's pretty much the only one in that list) I get the sad face every time I load the forums
    Apparently, the reason for this is because 'pupils are distracted by advertising' and 'the LancsNGfL network is not there for third parties to make money'. The decision was made at 'high level' and will not be overturned. Notably, the advert category is one of the 'core categories' that you cannot unblock. There are also no plans to consistently block ads so it's hit and miss where they appear and where they don't.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I don't mind non-intrusive adverts such as Google and in-line images. What I do find annoying are:

• Adverts presented on their own page before allowing you to view content (either timed or "click here to continue to...")
    • Advert boxes which pop up (usually hiding content) shortly after page-load
    • Flash-based adverts (Badly coded waste of resources), especially ones with sound; or ones that increase in size on mouse-over
    • Un-skippable adverts (some can be 30 seconds long) at the start of web video content (e.g. ITV News)

I disagree with trackers and privacy-invading sources.

I don't actively block adverts; but I do use Flashblock.

Thank Post
    I think that the general consensus so far seems to be that (appropriate) adverts are not too much of a bad thing. Of course there are a few exceptions to this.

Gettnig back to the educational context... do you think that Internet adverts are a distraction for learners? Should we shield our users' eyes from the horror that is adverts?

Personally, I feel that we should be preparing learners for the 'real world' and they will come across adverts on the Internet so why should we block adverts in school. Surely it's better to let them make mistakes by clicking random adverts and then we can educate them on 'better' uses of the Internet?

TheLibrarian
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    I don't mind non-intrusive adverts such as Google and in-line images. What I do find annoying are:
    • Adverts presented on their own page before allowing you to view content (either timed or "click here to continue to...")
    • Advert boxes which pop up (usually hiding content) shortly after page-load
    • Flash-based adverts (Badly coded waste of resources), especially ones with sound; or ones that increase in size on mouse-over
    • Un-skippable adverts (some can be 30 seconds long) at the start of web video content (e.g. ITV News)
    1. Depends on how many I see, once per session / day fine by me.
    2. See #1.
    3. Agree wholeheartedly.
    4. I'm not overly keen on them but I'll put up with them for the free content - it's not that much different to normal television. They can get bothersome when you are watching lots of small clips.

TheLibrarian
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    I think that the general consensus so far seems to be that (appropriate) adverts are not too much of a bad thing. Of course there are a few exceptions to this.

Gettnig back to the educational context... do you think that Internet adverts are a distraction for learners? Should we shield our users' eyes from the horror that is adverts?

Personally, I feel that we should be preparing learners for the 'real world' and they will come across adverts on the Internet so why should we block adverts in school. Surely it's better to let them make mistakes by clicking random adverts and then we can educate them on 'better' uses of the Internet?
    Students can ignore you when you are talking directly to them, waving to get their attention etc. An advert (that most of them have grown up with as Internet users) can't compete IMO.

7. Thanks to TheLibrarian from:

Ric_ (22nd July 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123