+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, tight staff in General; ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    I know of at least one member of staff (now "moved up" in the LEA) who would see that as a reason for the school to provide both a home computer and network connection (and probably a printer too).
    I think that's a fair idea (minus the printer) - as part of the job description, every teacher should be expected to have a computer and broadband access at home. I would sort that by giving each teacher a £300 one-off payment to go and buy whatever equipment they wanted - that would buy you a perfectly serviceable netbook, or nettop to go on your home TV, or a decent second-hand PC and monitor, or you could put it towards a Macbook, or whatever you wanted. Then I'd increase teacher's pay by £20 a month, on the condition that they used that to buy a broadband connection. Then there'd be no reason for any staff to bring in a laptop or any removeable media again - just remote in from your home PC to the school's servers. The PC would stay the property, and most definataly the responsibility, of the teacher - it stays at home, they can stuff it full of whatever viruses and downloads they like.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    I think that's a fair idea (minus the printer) - as part of the job description, every teacher should be expected to have a computer and broadband access at home. I would sort that by giving each teacher a £300 one-off payment to go and buy whatever equipment they wanted - that would buy you a perfectly serviceable netbook, or nettop to go on your home TV, or a decent second-hand PC and monitor, or you could put it towards a Macbook, or whatever you wanted. Then I'd increase teacher's pay by £20 a month, on the condition that they used that to buy a broadband connection. Then there'd be no reason for any staff to bring in a laptop or any removeable media again - just remote in from your home PC to the school's servers. The PC would stay the property, and most definataly the responsibility, of the teacher - it stays at home, they can stuff it full of whatever viruses and downloads they like.

--
    David Hicks
    That works out more than buying them laptops IMO. As you'd also have to provide the servers for them to remotely connect to... For a school with 40 staff doing this, that'd be £40.8k over 3 years. Which is £1020 per teacher over 3 years. We spend roughly £600 per laptop for our staff, with a life expectancy of 3 years. Add in licensing, and you end up with about £660.

I doubt many schools could justify the extra cost.

Thank Post
    I'm with bossman... Teachers are free to stay in school and do all their work (and some do - refusing to do work at home). If a teacher does not want to use their home PC or broadband connection, they don't have to. The remote access is simply there to make life easier for them.

Similarly, if we provide a laptop or other device, we expect it to be used for work. We tend to turn a blind eye to people using laptops for personal Internet use and whathaveyou but if the teacher wants to use the machine for storing their personal music collection, that's taking the mick.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    I'm with bossman... Teachers are free to stay in school and do all their work (and some do - refusing to do work at home). If a teacher does not want to use their home PC or broadband connection, they don't have to. The remote access is simply there to make life easier for them.

Similarly, if we provide a laptop or other device, we expect it to be used for work. We tend to turn a blind eye to people using laptops for personal Internet use and whathaveyou but if the teacher wants to use the machine for storing their personal music collection, that's taking the mick.
    im not even too worried about that as long as they dont want me to transfer y-tunes you installed it you support it

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    im not even too worried about that as long as they dont want me to transfer y-tunes you installed it you support it
    Your making the assumption that they have Jesus-tunes installed... work laptop so work build. If you cannot justify a piece of software for work use, you don't have it installed.

Thank Post
    Your making the assumption that they have Jesus-tunes installed... work laptop so work build. If you cannot justify a piece of software for work use, you don't have it installed.
    if im in a school once a week i just cant police it to the degree where i just remove it

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Here, here! Although tbh I don't care if they do store personal music/photos/etc on the school provided laptops (guilty as charged ) so long as they know that if I have to work on their laptop - install new hdd, os, image - then I'm not backing personal data up first.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    That works out more than buying them laptops IMO.
    Oh yes, of course, but I think it would be the most efficient way of spending money to get all teaching staff using IT to its full potential and being able to work how they wished. It'd be the easiest way to run a centrally-funded IT-for-teachers kind of scheme - no administration of PCs, no liability for schools for anything staff do, simply give them cash and leave them to get on with it. As part of your contract as a teacher you would agree to have a home broadband connection (and £20 a month would sort out pretty much everyone, even those connecting via a mobile broadband dongle) and a working home PC.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Given the chance - you lot would spoil all our fun. Our teachers use usb sticks (department pays) They get a warning about not backing up, viruses, etc, etc and we have a sweep between us. Pound a week, each teacher is 'given' to one of us and when one of your group appear at the door with/without said USB stick broken / lost / viruses, etc Its your job to include 3 phrases from a list in the sentence thereafter. If you manage - you take the pot. (mine last time out at £21).

We got fed up of telling people along, long time ago....................

10. Thanks to daveyboy from:

SteveBentley (20th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maark View Post
    Surely school should supply them if they are needed for the job?
    For the past three years we have supplied staff with USB sticks. This is the first year we cannot due to budget cuts.

What is amusing is staff coming up to you all best buddies because they want another for their son/daughter/mother/father etc.

Gutted

Gareth

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    USB sticks are a right pain. If people aren't losing them
    ... guilty as charged

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post

--
    David Hicks
    Where's the John McEnroe smilie?

They'll spend it on other stuff or give it to offspring and then be just as badly off (IT wise). That recent report put a BB connection (and by inference a computer) as a "basic"; it's something most people will have anyway. Why not pay for staff TVs/licences and anything else that could possibly be considered educationally related as well?

14. Thanks to LeMarchand from:

daveyboy (20th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,353 Times in 826 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hang on, most Techs have the most legitimate reason for needing broadband and a laptop/computer/netbook/whatever - how many of you have that paid for by the school?

My feeling is, by all means give them all the remote access tools you can with the money/time available - but make it very clear they're a privilege not a right. Most Schools are open till 6-7 if they need to work past 3.30, and I'm sure you don't all close your networks down once lessons are over.

One year I discovered almost my entire budget had been spent on laptops for staff, without my knowledge, by the head. And that she expected me to setup and support peoples home broadband/printers/etc on each one.

this delusion was not long lived.....

16. 2 Thanks to Domino:

bossman (20th July 2010), john (20th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Hang on, most Techs have the most legitimate reason for needing broadband and a laptop/computer/netbook/whatever - how many of you have that paid for by the school?
    Why do they?

Thank Post
    I have a love/hate relationship with USB Sticks / Ipods / etc

My ideal setup would be:

Pupils: NO NO NO!!!
    Staff: ONLY if encrypted using BitLocker to Go! otherwise they take a hike!

then i wake up

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast