+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, Converting shops into schools.... in General; Originally Posted by broc Funnily enough, when I had discussions with architects & representatives from PfS when I was a ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    Funnily enough, when I had discussions with architects & representatives from PfS when I was a governor some years ago, I was told part of the Govt brief was that BSF schools had to have 'presence' and 'make an impact' and have 'wow factor'...... & when I suggested something along the lines of a TESCO 'shed' with the ability of reconfiguring space flexibly inside the architect got very snooty & said nobody ever got a design award for designing a shed....
    Last Government maybe; I cannot see this Government doing it ....... With computers for pupils we found the laptop wasn't a problem, it was connectivity. Many households don't have land-lines because they cannot get credit, so they tend to use PAYG mobiles. Even a 'free' laptop has it's limits without www access.
    a few ive seen have had 3g dongles which invariably get broken / die etc

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Last Government maybe; I cannot see this Government doing it ....... With computers for pupils we found the laptop wasn't a problem, it was connectivity. Many households don't have land-lines because they cannot get credit, so they tend to use PAYG mobiles. Even a 'free' laptop has it's limits without www access.
    Which is why the last govt's scheme included broadband connectivity cost cover - via 3g dongles.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Which is why the last govt's scheme included broadband connectivity cost cover - via 3g dongles.
    Yes we had offers of these, if I recall correctly the school was expected to pick up the call charges after the first year.....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I know, I said 'what if the school would cost 20m rather than 80m and that extra money could go to staffing and equipment?' and they still said they'd prefer the unique building.
    what, only unique. not 'iconic' ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have to ask this. Did anyone really care what their school looked like when they were there? I cared if a windows was broken or a roof leaked sure. But beyond that, not really. It was a school, I went there to learn. I learnt the most from good teachers, and the least from bad ones, regardlessof what room I was being taught in.
    Perhaps a 'Retraining Teachers for the Future'prgram would have been a better bet?

*This is not a dig at good teachers, only the bad ones (you know who you are!).

6. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

nephilim (19th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,878 Times in 1,396 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rydra View Post
    Ok strange question here, but is anyone here ACTUALLY tempted to try this procedure and apply for starting an independant school?

Though I wouldn't want to be a HT, the idea of building a school on my own principles and with a blank slate does appeal somewhat. And they do state, that parents should have a chance/say in how these spring up? Why not someone who has worked in the background of education for X years, and is at least to some degree, paid to keep up with the latest advances in technology and education?

If we had the right calibre people behind us, then yes I would do it. Provided that the internet requirements were not dished out by E2BN in this area and we could have our own leased pipe and such like, then yes, why not?!

And Dos_Box, I agree, a retraining teachers program would be a good idea, but you would need to have alot of inspections and such like at random intervals to see how teachers cope without prep for an inspection

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    I have to ask this. Did anyone really care what their school looked like when they were there? I cared if a windows was broken or a roof leaked sure. But beyond that, not really. It was a school, I went there to learn. I learnt the most from good teachers, and the least from bad ones, regardlessof what room I was being taught in.
    Perhaps a 'Retraining Teachers for the Future'prgram would have been a better bet?
    but then that wouldn't address what you'd do as far as capital spend.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123