+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, A VERY bad start to the day... in General; Started off as a normal drive to work.. roads were quiet i get off the m-way at my junction and ...

Thank Post

A VERY bad start to the day...

Started off as a normal drive to work.. roads were quiet
    i get off the m-way at my junction and am approaching the end of the sliproad, so i press the brakes

No Response.. oh bugger

At the end of the sliproad is an island with some barriers on it, i try to stear round the corner but cant, = brakes still not working

So the inevitable happens - i plow straight into the island and barriers - stopping the car..

Quick check to make sure I'm ok and then reverse out and off the sliproad

Upon investigation I find the front bumper haning on by a bolt on the drivers side, but the passenger side is a goner.. lying pathetically on the road..
    The front wing is pushing the mudflap onto the tyre, but a quick yank sorts that..

After clearing up some debris, i wedge the bumper in place and limp slowly to work..

It should be noted that the brakes worked perfectly - both before the sliproad and all the way to work after the prang..

Now I need to find the price of a new front bumper - and get my brakes checked...

Need some coffee to settle my frayed nerves...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    I had the brakes go in an old mini metro I once owned - ended up shoving the car in second [ to try and stall it ] and using the hand brake. Stopped [ before the Zebra Crossing in which people were actually using ], got out the car and almost chucked my guts up.
    On checking the tubes connecting brake fluid to the brake assembly had been left off after a service.......

Main thing is your ok which is good. It's only a piece of metal / plastic.

3. Thanks to mattx from:

Gatt (14th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Not good! At least they didn't fail on the M way!

I spent £120 on my car yesterday for a couple of shot suspension pieces... bloody hell did they need doing

Thank Post
    Had the brakes fail in a Bedford truck once, on the M11/M25 slip, not a great deal of fun that. Glad you're ok, good luck, hope you find a nice cheap fix.

Thank Post
    Now that I have calmed down a bit, I can remember a few more details.

I think I hit a patch of diesel and my brakes locked on the diesel and then skidding into the barrier..

Still going to test my brakes later to be sure..

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That can happen, or more likely as we haven't had any rain for a bit, all of the rubber and small oil deposits have come to the surface and made it like an ice rink. This happens a lot in middle eastern countries where rain is rare. The first sign of a shower and the roads turn to big flat slides.
    Glad you're ok though, and next time, try using the handbrake as it's on a seperate braking system (apply slowly!)
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 14th July 2010 at 08:55 AM.

8. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

Gatt (14th July 2010)

Thank Post
    But you are in one piece, now that's just fantastic!

10. Thanks to ICT_GUY from:

Gatt (14th July 2010)

Thank Post
    +1

A lot of the motorways turn into skating rinks after long dry spells and then having a lump of rain

Other places are also major bus routes, bus stations and wherever a lot of HGVs are!

At least you are in one piece though

12. Thanks to Homer from:

Gatt (14th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanks guys

@Dos_Box - thanks for the Handbrake tip - I'll keep that in mind - though I am hoping I wont be in this position again.

Though considering the stretch of motorway I use (M62 J19 then the M60 J18 - J16) takes a LOT of HGVs then I wouldn't be surprised if i did skid again

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,702 Posts
    Glad you are OK - but please check your brakes thoroughly BEFORE you go anywhere in the car - Promise us that you won't drive anywhere until you are sure the brakes work!

Thank Post
    I nearly skidded into an oncoming taxi (who was on my side of the road). Both of us found that after a brief shower after weeks of sunshine the roads are like ice.

Thank Post
    i will be witch - I'll be limping home and testing the brakes (gently) and regular intervals

might take it for a spin (pardon the pun!) round the block later to check them......

Thank Post
    might be worth having a quick look under the car make sure brake fluid isnt leaking and that its full up in the resevoir before even starting the car, if it happens again just clutch and yank he handbrake and smack the hazzards... had a few hairy moments like this in my old renault but everytime i took it to the garage they said it was fine and no issues, i begged to differ XD

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    That can happen, or more likely as we haven't had any rain for a bit, all of the rubber and small oil deposits have come to the surface and made it like an ice rink. This happens a lot in middle eastern countries where rain is rare. The first sign of a shower and the roads turn to big flat slides.
    Glad you're ok though, and next time, try using the handbrake as it's on a seperate braking system (apply slowly!)
    My pet hate being on the bike the majority of the time - came off about 5 years ago on a diesel spill - really did some damage to my arm. Fixed the bike at the road - [ always carry gaffa tape in the Givli ] - rang up the council to inform them where the spill was - 8 hours later riding back - they had done sweet FA in regards to clearing it up. Rang the police and informed them - they cleared it up within 30 mins.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,466 Posts
    Glad you are ok.

If you;ve locked up/skidded then you aren't going to be able to stear out of it.

If it was brakes then downshifting to use engine braking and then application of handbrake may slow you down enough.

Ben

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast