Site Maintenance this evening The site will be offline for hosting changes. Time TBC

+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, A VERY bad start to the day... in General; Here are a few pics (after my temp repair..) They dont really show the extent of the damage, but sufficed ...

Thank Post
    Here are a few pics (after my temp repair..)

A VERY bad start to the day...-image_00140.jpgA VERY bad start to the day...-image_00141.jpgA VERY bad start to the day...-image_00142.jpgA VERY bad start to the day...-image_00143.jpg

They dont really show the extent of the damage, but sufficed to say that all that is holding the bumper on is the duct tape, and a single nut & bolt on the drivers side..

Thank Post
    Nice repair job I'm glad you're ok though, that must have been a very scary position to be in.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Blimey Gatt....good to hear that you got out of it fairly well....

Though I can only imagine the state of your pants!

Had a similar moment years ago, and even now am especially careful after rain.

Thank Post
    Glad to hear you're ok, would echo the advice that it's just a lump of metal ... a very dangerous piece of metal yes, but as long as you're ok, doesn't matter how smashed up the car is.

I thought my car needed a wheel bearing replacing, garage quoted me 160, took it in, four hours and 350 later I had two new wheel bearings and two new brake pads. Needless to say that although I have a big dent in my wallet I feel a lot safer in my car

Thank Post
    I hit diesel a few years back..some tit had a leaky tank. Ploughed straight into the back of a van. Most annoyed. Took out a headlamp, wing, indicator, creased the bonnet. Drove home again, found that the battery had come off the tray as well and was dangling on the wiring..good times. Luckily I kept a spares car of the same type and was able to swap the panels/lamps/bonnet over, one spot of welding and it was all sorted.

Sure your brakes weren't just soaked? A run down the MWay in the wet will cool and soak them, and they're always naff until they've dried off. If I'm driving in continual rain, I tend to brake very lightly every so often to clear and dry the rotors/pads, or at least set the handbrake very gently on to give me one dryish axle..

That said, I took the Astra in for it's first brake check in my ownership..full tidy of the brakes, cleanup and tested for very little money, and the brakes are only lightly worn. Contrast that with my project Astra..rotors worn so thin they've got sharp edges, drums with ridges in, air in the lines..quality maintenance that car had..

If you can, I recommend a skidpan training day...WELL worth it. I've done 2 now.

Thank Post
    Well got home safely - thankfully. No sign of any problems with the brakes
    It has now been pulled back into shape and repatched with new gaffa tape and looks a lot tidier than it did above!!

Thank Post
    How the car looks now...

A VERY bad start to the day...-image_00144.jpg

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Jeez!! Sounds like a curly one, good thing you've escaped unscathed.

Good to see it wasnt a Toyota...although being an owner I'm still a tad nervous!

Joe

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,180 Times in 1,615 Posts
    I'm so glad you're OK. You must be quite shaken up by this.

It happened to me when I was driving the university minibus years ago... fortunately I wasn't going very fast and I was able to use the handbrake and gears to stop. Our Volvo V70 has a button instead of a manual handbrake... fat lot of good that would be in this situation

Thank Post
    you say that but the electronic one kicks in at any speed on the V70, dad and i tried it on his, not good results XD skidded to a stop pretty sharpish...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12