+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Senior Technician - Doing the Network Manager job in General; I've been employed as a technician and more recently a senoir technician at my job for 4years now and for ...

Thank Post

Senior Technician - Doing the Network Manager job

I've been employed as a technician and more recently a senoir technician at my job for 4years now and for the last 2 I've been running the schools IT.

In the last to years, I've upgraded the entire netowrk to gigabit, virtualised our servers, changed the AD topology, secured group policy, created an awesome (my words) network filtering solution and many other nice things.

I feel I deserve the job title and wage of the network administrator, something my old boss had. How would anyone here broach the subject..

btw I have a meeting with the head today at 11:15!

Thank Post
    yep you should be a network manager!

Thank Post
    Go in with your current job description, and then a list of duties you actually do, say that over two years you must of saved the school a tidy amount by them not having a network manager. surely cant hurt to just ask (:

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    I dont have the title of Network Manager but I do a network managers job

Do you have a network manager there?

Thank Post
    I have the job title of Network Manager, but at the moment I'm doing more first line technicians work than anything else.

Thank Post
    Tell your head what you have just told us and it should be obvious to them that you deserve the job.

Good luck

Thank Post
    Seems like the school is getting a Network Manager for the cost of a Senior Tech.. you should defo ask, as to how im sure others will have good advise with this. I'm rubbish with this kind of thing and just ask/tell them straight. I bet that they already know you should be on a Network Managers wage but are keeping quite cause they are getting more for the money. With things like this its pretty much 'you dont ask, you dont get'.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apeo View Post
    I bet that they already know you should be on a Network Managers wage but are keeping quite cause they are getting more for the money. With things like this its pretty much 'you dont ask, you dont get'.
    In my experience, they don't know this because they don't actually know what you do do. Ask for a formal appraisal and at it, discuss your day-to-day activities, long-term past projects and planned projects.

Thank Post

Lightbulb

As a Network Manager:

chazzy2501, if i was you as some people have suggested get your JD, make a list of things that you do that are not on there and use this. If you have time, try and get a copy of the old NetMan's JD and see what's on there that you do and point these out to your headteacher.

As Union shop steward:

Do not carry out any other duties that are not on your JD, your Head will soon see that the development of IT in your school is not moving as fast as he/she would like. Say that you would be prepared to carry on doing the the NetMan's job with the title and salary that goes with it. If you are not in a Union join one!!

David

Thank Post
    Who has been doing the work of your old boss? If you have picked up the duties then you can argue your case that you have been doing all the work of your old boss (except for job title and wage) in their absesne. This is probably the easiest way for your head to see your job has progressed.

You should also ask for an up to date Job description following this meeting so you can identify what the school wants you to do and what they want to pay you.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,526 Times in 1,758 Posts
    Probably not time but def go to the LA and get 'official' jd for NM and Tech and highlight the things you do. I have just done this with mine and it seems that Dorset have a Senior Tech grade which is far more what I do (cant be NM as dont have any responsibility for budgets or people) tha just the Tech I am already.
    Have requested that I be promoted to senior.

Just play it straight - remember to be nice, but not easily put off - you deserve this!

Thank Post
    cheers!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IanT View Post
    I dont have the title of Network Manager but I do a network managers job

Do you have a network manager there?
    No, we used to and he left I just filled the gap, they made me a senior technician after they hired a second technician.

OK had the meeting, he sending me the job description for a network manager and wants to see what roles I fill, he also wants to have HR look at the roles I'm performing and calulate a wage based on that, then he's going to see if they can "afford" me. All this won't happen till next term.
    Last edited by chazzy2501; 12th July 2010 at 12:54 PM. Reason: update

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    I know how you feel mate, i dont mind what im doing, i enjoy it but wish I was given the title lol

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    In my experience, they don't know this because they don't actually know what you do do. Ask for a formal appraisal and at it, discuss your day-to-day activities, long-term past projects and planned projects.
    True.. they probably dont know whats dif from a tech and a NM but i give SMT a bit of credit (i may get flamed for this) to figure out that thing are still running great without a NM. Its not hard to figure out that the tech has taken on the role. I guess its one of those situations where they dont realise it till you bring it to their attention or atleast thats what they will claim.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast