+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Senior Technician - Doing the Network Manager job in General; Originally Posted by chazzy2501 OK had the meeting, he sending me the job description for a network manager and wants ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chazzy2501 View Post
    OK had the meeting, he sending me the job description for a network manager and wants to see what roles I fill, he also wants to have HR look at the roles I'm performing and calulate a wage based on that, then he's going to see if they can "afford" me. All this won't happen till next term.
    Bah, I hate it when employers do this. have you doing someone else's job, then when you point it out to them, decide they cannot afford to pay you for doing said job.

Nowadays, it seems they don't replace people when they leave; they bring in someone else, pay them a fraction of what their predecessor, then if it's an internal placement, they bring in a new, even lower paid person to fill the whole.

I've seen/heard of this happening in at least 4 schools in my area in recent times, where the NM left, they promote a techie to senior, and employ a monkey as a techie to replace.

Thank Post
    And thats if they even employ a monkey!!! Unfortunately this happens all too often.

And try to get a copy of what is happening from the meeting if you can. I have been in the situation where I was led to believe the situation would be addressed but not until next term, only to find out that they couldn't afford to backdate anything and ended up loosing out on about 3 months wages.

If they cant afford you then you can negiotiate. Maybe more holidays or time off for training etc, something to offer you into staying.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rydra View Post
    Bah, I hate it when employers do this. have you doing someone else's job, then when you point it out to them, decide they cannot afford to pay you for doing said job.
    Even better is when they manage to swindle you into a job which is far beyond what you're actually supposed to be doing, for example you're so clueless about virtually everything having been just dumped in it completely, you don't even realise you're doing a different job to everyone else for the first 3 months. You then finally begin to have a bit of a clue, speak to your other colleagues and realise you're being shafted. You're working under a completely different job title as to what you're actually employed for and your job description says nothing about any of this, however it has a nasty clause which says "you have to do everything that your manager tells you". So you complain that this isn't fair and that you're actually doing a completely different job but then management throw the book at you for insubordination as you're not doing what your manager tells you to. (I.e: sit down, shut up and get screwed). You then effectively have two choices, continue on or leave.

Thank Post
    Hope you get pay scale you deserve - at last school they would not pay me proper scale - went to a new job on proper scale and now old school are in a complete mess e.g. network down due to conficker just before ofsted due no updates being done or AV being checked. Shame you have to leave before they appreciate what you do sometimes.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarconia View Post
    Even better is when ....
    Bitter?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12