+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Question for the runners.. in General; After making great improvements with my shin splints and calves I feel I may have damaged my ACL. I have ...

Thank Post

Question for the runners..

After making great improvements with my shin splints and calves I feel I may have damaged my ACL.

I have a very unusual tingling sensation and a cold feeling directly around my ACL area of both knees. I have no pain (maybe a very slight dull ache rarely), the area isn't inflamed, its not tender or a different colour.

Both ACL's seem to be much larger (they can grow right?) in width and composition than they originally were before running.

I stretch before and after working out and have never experienced this before, should I be worried that its ACL damage or a precursor or just "growing pains" or slight over use?

Thanks

Chris

Thank Post
    If you are concerned go to see a physio to get it checked. You can also get them to examine your running style to see if there is a reason you are having problems. You may find that they can identify a weakness in your running style which causes you to learn to one side more causing you problems(for example). It's also useful to ensure you wont cause yourself any further problems.

3. Thanks to penfold from:

CHR1S (6th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Im booked in to the doctors for an MOT Monday anyway, I will have a chat then.
    I was really hoping someone may have experienced the same issues and could just reassure me a little!

Thank Post
    If you had injured your ACL, by heck you'd know about it. Go to a physio to be safe however.

6. Thanks to Butters from:

CHR1S (6th July 2010)

Thank Post
    No offence but going the docs isn't always the best. When I had an injury to my knee I was given very little information and that the problem could come back later anyway. After speaking to a physio since, it was completely the wrong information. They gave me good advice & exercise that I could go to strenghten supporting muscles and check out my balance to identify any problems that I was not aware of.

My advice would be to try and find a good physio and book yourself in for a session, it could save you in the long run.

By the way, I managed to do a deal with my old physio that I looked at their laptop in exchange for a physio session...dropping in your job might be worth doing to keep costs down

8. Thanks to penfold from:

CHR1S (6th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    No offence but going the docs isn't always the best. When I had an injury to my knee I was given very little information and that the problem could come back later anyway. After speaking to a physio since, it was completely the wrong information. They gave me good advice & exercise that I could go to strenghten supporting muscles and check out my balance to identify any problems that I was not aware of.

My advice would be to try and find a good physio and book yourself in for a session, it could save you in the long run.

By the way, I managed to do a deal with my old physio that I looked at their laptop in exchange for a physio session...dropping in your job might be worth doing to keep costs down
    I've been under the physio before and always had to go via my doctor for a referral, like I said, I'm there for an MOT so it should be a relatively easy task to get bumped up!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is dredging stuff up from years back but ...

Over-extension (snapping the leg *too* straight) when running followed by heel-digging (landing on the rear of you heel and driving forward with too straight a leg) can cause excess stress on the ACL, often leading to unconditioned growth (the neuro-muscular spurt in puberty can lead to growth in an irregular pattern if allowed to have near-injury scenarios with inadequate rest periods) and this can lead to being susceptible to ACL tears at a later date.

To mitigate this you have to be observant. Try to notice any sudden changes in the flexibility of the knee joint (lax ligaments) or tightness. This can sometimes be more easily spotted in low-training days (you have a shorter than normal rest period from your previous session but do less work) during the warm-up and stretch sections (remember the rule ... mobility, flexibility, stretch ... you will spot changes in the latter two sections) than in the warm down.

The easiest thing is to check on this (short of MRI, etc) is to extend your rest periods to see if it makes any change ... and you should also alternate other leg routines during this time. Include cycling or swimming where you can concentrate on technique (so that you do not fully extend your leg, never mind over extending it).

I know that some of the above advice has changed slightly over the years (different stretches being recommended, the training phases having different intensities, etc) but the rest and change of types of exercise is pretty much the same.

11. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

CHR1S (6th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanks Tony, I think the biggest part of my troubles is I don't know what I am doing! I run on my own, I learn on my own and the internet is my only guide!
    I have joined a running club now so hopefully they will pass down some more information and guidance and I will definitely be seeking advice from a physio.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A good running group to get involved with is The Hash House Harriers The UK Hash House Harriers Webbsite, events diary and directory as they are a fantastic bunch, all over the world. Definitely the best social group of runners you will meet.

14. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

CHR1S (6th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Just an update, after resting, icing and a warm bath I think its my hamstrings and I now need more stretching when I warm up and down. It feels like my knees are being pulled upwards and putting pressure on my ACLs.

So fingers crossed its an easy recovery and I will be ok

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread