+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, American Food in General; We are currently sat in the hotel room packing and an advert has just come on TV. For Kraft cheese ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,171 Times in 994 Posts
    Blog Entries

American Food

We are currently sat in the hotel room packing and an advert has just come on TV. For Kraft cheese slices, with bacon in.
    Now Shaun and I have both been very good and have avoided junk food (apart from lunch at Wendys yesterday when we had no choice) and eaten sensibly in decent places. But the TV is innundated with ads for food that is mainly, cheese, bacon, cheese and bacon, cheese and bacon and sausages\burgers and a whole combination of ingrediants that in the UK you would think twice about having on their own!
    Mind you, on our second night here I decided to order a chicken sandwich from a menu only to have a large seg of breadcrumbed, deep fried chicken in a red hot sauce. With fries on the side. I put this down to 'cultural differances'.
    We did have a very nice pizza from an Italian eaterie we had found (thanks for the suggestion Jane) which was superbly prepared, freshly cooked and tasty.
    So my advice for anyone visiting the US is to look around and ask the locals for the best places to eat and you won't be dissapointed. There are plenty of excellent and affordable eating joints, just avoid the junk food at all costs!
    Oh, and don't forget to tip!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    No wonder America has the big weight issues and other health problems if a Chicken Sandwich comes like that. Wonder what happens if you order a beef sandwich do you get a 16oz fillet steak deep fried in breadcrumbs with the cheese and bacon slices on it etc oh and with big piles of chips

You pizza looked nice though

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It was lovely. We are going back there for lunch after we check out. Cheap too

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No wonder America has the big weight issues
    Ouch!

To be honest i would expect the food to be different from ours, at the end of the day its another country. Would you go to India, China, Singapore, Italy, Spain, Thailand etc and expect the food to be the same as ours? (apart from big tourist areas). I wouldn't expect America to be an exception to the rule, I dont expect a big difference and as extreme as others, but i would still expect it to be different.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have been surprised this week. In Denver they don't have the huge weight issue. It's a very active town that's great for walking around and has many alternatives to junk food when eating out. There is also the issue of the altitude (1 mile above sea level) and heat (30 degrees+) that makes people eat less and metabolise foods quicker.
    @FN-GM The food here is identical to anything you will find in any UK town. It's just the service is many magnitudes better!
    We even had a very good fish and chips a few days back with SmoothWall, which had less chips than you would get in the UK.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    No wonder America has the big weight issues and other health problems
    ditto the UK.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    I know you said avoid junk food but I miss taco bell and also the biscuits and gravy from KFC in the US, oh and apple bee's and wendys do some good stuff - guess Im just a food junky

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    guess Im just a food junky
    Don't you mean a junk-foody?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    We are currently sat in the hotel room packing and an advert has just come on TV. For Kraft cheese slices, with bacon in.
    Now Shaun and I have both been very good and have avoided junk food (apart from lunch at Wendys yesterday when we had no choice) and eaten sensibly in decent places. But the TV is innundated with ads for food that is mainly, cheese, bacon, cheese and bacon, cheese and bacon and sausages\burgers and a whole combination of ingrediants that in the UK you would think twice about having on their own!
    Mind you, on our second night here I decided to order a chicken sandwich from a menu only to have a large seg of breadcrumbed, deep fried chicken in a red hot sauce. With fries on the side. I put this down to 'cultural differances'.
    We did have a very nice pizza from an Italian eaterie we had found (thanks for the suggestion Jane) which was superbly prepared, freshly cooked and tasty.
    So my advice for anyone visiting the US is to look around and ask the locals for the best places to eat and you won't be dissapointed. There are plenty of excellent and affordable eating joints, just avoid the junk food at all costs!
    Oh, and don't forget to tip!
    adverts for stuff like this then Baconnaise

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This thread has made me think of the first episode of Futurama with the 'baconated grapefruit' and 'caffineated bacon'.

Thank Post
    A few years ago when my sister lived in the States we went to visit her and sat in a restaurant on the banks of the Ohio River. I always like to eat at least one burger when I'm over there, but was put off ordering the chilli burger by my sister. I soon found out why. At a nearby table a customer had ordered on of these, and when it arrived it just looked like a huge chilli surrounded by rice, but as I watched him work his way through the chilli I saw that he eventually uncovered a large bun with a burger in it.

Thank Post
    In the US you obviously get all the fast food chains/burger joints, but if you know where to look and you do a bit of research you'll find that some of the food is quite amazing. I've had fish out there, that was caught literally an hour before it was on my plate- you really can't get fresher than that.

It really annoys me when people say everyone in America is fat. Compared, in ratio, to this country its not as bad as you think!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Would you believe that in terms of ratio's, Australia is the most obese nation in the world?!

Back to the top of food in the US. When I went to Maine, I went out with my father in law, and we had a seafood platter, everything that was on it, was alive half hour before serving, this included fish, lobster, oysters, shrimp, crawfish, mussels, clams, limpets etc. That was lovely!

Thank Post
    At this stage I need to point out that I was fed "Chicken biscuits" for breakfast by one of my esteemed colleagues - this involved aforementioned chunk of fried (battered) chicken, a slice of "eggy stuff" and some "cheese" between two dumpling-consistency things. Interesting. Think it may have constituted a crime against humanity

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    No wonder America has the big weight issues and other health problems if a Chicken Sandwich comes like that. Wonder what happens if you order a beef sandwich do you get a 16oz fillet steak deep fried in breadcrumbs with the cheese and bacon slices on it etc oh and with big piles of chips

You pizza looked nice though
    I once ordered a hot roast beef sandwich for lunch while working in the US, it was 12oz sliced roast beef in a small loaf, oozing gravy everwhere.... I didn't eat for the rest of the day

If you really want to see excess, take a holiday on an American cruise liner; free food, 24 hours a day.... absolute gluttony..... the breakfast servery was the worst, with people carrying several plates pile high with food.
    Last edited by broc; 5th July 2010 at 09:19 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast