+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Starting a New ICT Company in General; Hi everyone, im looking at being out of work in about 3 weeks thanks to government budget cutback thanks Mr. ...
    Thank Post

Starting a New ICT Company

Hi everyone, im looking at being out of work in about 3 weeks thanks to government budget cutback thanks Mr. Cameron by the way. And was thinking of working for myself doing ICT technical support for school and possible ICT consultation similar to what MGL offer. Any ideas on how I could go about it?

Thank Post
    School budgets are not being cut until April the earliest. So you might have time yet.

As for going it alone, have you any contacts that you could start working part time for?
    This would give you some income security while you build your business.

I would find somebody a you trust and can work with and go into partnership as if you are successful you want to be able to share work as there might be to much for one person.

Once you know you have some work, create a company or go self enployed, you might have issues with self employeed and CRB checks as you would need to get each school you work at to CRB check you. If you were a company you would be able to get your company secretary to get you one.

Sort out what you charges out before you begin, raising your prices at a later data by a large amount wont get you many repeat customers.

Dont over sell yourself, schools will respect a company more if they say no we cant do this than one that says yes and does it badly.

oh one last thing. GOOD LUCK.

Thank Post
    I would be happy to help, I started a tech support company in 2004 and we're going strong now

Drop me an email or visit my blog and click on the chat to me badge.

john at mclear dot co dot uk

Thank Post

Started last year ...

Hiyah ... I started up last year and have never looked back ....

A couple of things that might help ...

Get Vat registered ... Cash Vat is easy and customers, especialy schools, like to deal with a Vat registered trader ....
    Get a list of suppliers who will sell you bits and consumbles at trade prices with a decent returns policy .. A common question I get is ... "by the way can you supply us with x toner or x bits ...."
    Buy a copy of Sage instant accounts ...... (great for Vat returns ...)
    Get yourself an accountant
    If you do anything like moving projectors make sure you've got public liability insurance
    Use your existing contacts .. IE let everybody know you are in business
    Get a website ... Ive got one ... nothing from it for 18 months then suddenly 3 phone calls and a decent amount of business ....
    Expect to have to work longer hours than now when business is good
    Hope this helps drop me a PM if you need any further help ..
    Cheers
    Brian Rumsey

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,890 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Get to know your local rivals. You might find you aren't rivals but actually people who can help each other out, especially during holidays, illness, etc. It is amazing what they will tell you down the pub about why they no longer support school X.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Go for it.I think of all the good tips above, a partnership is great advice. If it's your first foray the knowledge/experience from a partner can be invaluable,as can your skills to them.
    Float the idea to a few perspective clients and listen closely to any feedback,get a sweet website...work your cajones off (Ask Dos_Box about the 10,000hr rule)

Good Luck.You'll never regret it

Joe

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theeldergeek View Post
    I thought education had been ring fenced? If we are facing pay freezes, cuts to public services, how much further are they going to stick the knife in!
    I suppose it'll be support staff who lose their jobs, the lowest paid with the least prospects.

I hope no-one ever introduces me to a banker...
    It's a collective responsibility. It's lazy and inaccurate to call it a banker created problem in my view.

During the 'boom' we were happy (collective we) to run along with this low inflation environment, so long as that low inflation excluded house prices and wages. Clearly self interest wasn't restricted to certain sectors of the economy.

Sorry to derail the thread, but i feel i have to provide some balance every time i hear a banker bash. A lot of the time it seems to come from people without the job security and pension worries, but are a bit peeved they won't have their budgets ring fenced and might no longer get the above inflation wage increases they've been accustomed to.

Not pointing any fingers at you....just making a general observation.

Thank Post
    I'm not sure about the reference to those without the "job security and pension worries" - as that seems to be a dig at the public sector workers (many of who have historically been low paid and not received the pay rises at the same rate as the private sector in the 'good years'.)

That said I agree with the other part - it takes two to tango. It's not just that the banks lent more than was sensible - it's everyone who borrowed beyond their means - but given that that's ordinary people, it's perhaps understandable that they're trying to deflect responsibility. No one wants to admit that it's their own fault.

Anyway, I've wandered off topic - normal service is resumed :-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts

If you want to discuss something other than advice on company start-up, please start a new thread!

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by leemac13 View Post
    Hi everyone, im looking at being out of work in about 3 weeks thanks to government budget cutback thanks Mr. Cameron by the way. And was thinking of working for myself doing ICT technical support for school and possible ICT consultation similar to what MGL offer. Any ideas on how I could go about it?
    If you are going to effectively be unemployed, contact your local Enterprise Agency and see what help may be available to you for setting up business. It could just be they offer free courses on things like marketing, bookkeeping and such like, or you might be able to get a grant. Whilst you are unemployed, you will be eligible for a lot more help than when you become employed, self or otherwise.

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post

If you want to discuss something other than advice on company start-up, please start a new thread!
    Posts deleted.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread