+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Schools 'break law' on teaching assistants in General; I wonder how many HTs have squeaky bottoms after reading this? BBC News - Schools 'break law' on teaching assistants, ...
    Thank Post

Schools 'break law' on teaching assistants

I wonder how many HTs have squeaky bottoms after reading this?

BBC News - Schools 'break law' on teaching assistants, NUT claims

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    In my area schools have 100% totally unqualified (as TA's let alone teaching - some of the teachers aren't qualified as teachers) TAs taking classes alone on a permanent basis.. ie timetabled. Supply teachers are almost non existent in the 11 - 16 bracket. Around here teachers get cut rather than TA's. And inexperienced and non experienced teachers that take on senior positions. It's all about saving money. Personally I see no point sending my kids to a school that's no more than a child minding facility. My kids can play sodoku and watch films in their spare time if they really want to.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Teachers and their unions have priced themselves out of jobs and work, with silly salaries and "non-contact time". It seems schools can no longer afford as many of them as they need to fill the timetable, so have to resort to other means. Cover supervisors, TAs, caretakers......

Thank Post
    Sorry don't agree with that statement, teachers in their first few years are on pitiful salaries.

My son's a primary school teacher in his second year on £22000, he has one session of ppa a week, runs all the after school/lunchtimes sports sessions, including matches. Works most evenings and weekends on marking and preparation.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chrbb View Post
    Sorry don't agree with that statement, teachers in their first few years are on pitiful salaries.

My son's a primary school teacher in his second year on £22000, he has one session of ppa a week, runs all the after school/lunchtimes sports sessions, including matches. Works most evenings and weekends on marking and preparation.
    Starting pay is bad? Shocker... All jobs start on 'low' pay. How many careers do you know of which go up by almost £10k in 5 years? If he's only getting 1 PPA session a week, then the school is breaking his contract (teachers are entitled to an amount not less than 10% of timetabled teaching time as PPA time).

I agree with webman - teachers have priced themselves out of jobs and work. Why do you think most schools are so keen on hiring NQTs? They're cheaper than hiring someone with a couple years experience!

Thank Post
    Police constables start on more and increase by the same amount as do firefighters, they don't need a degree though, which has to be paid back. Lots of careers go up by that amount, because they're um careers not jobs!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Police constables start on more and increase by the same amount as do firefighters, they don't need a degree though, which has to be paid back. Lots of careers go up by that amount, because they're um careers not jobs!
    Police constables and fire fighters have slightly higher risk jobs though... Police are regularly involved in altercations, have to deal with drug users (and their associated needles etc...) and the like. Fire fighters have to deal with fires, floods, etc... A lot more dangerous than the average teaching job.

Teaching is a well paid career, whatever anyone says, and anyone who complains about it needs to wake up to the real world where most people don't get such good pay, pensions, or holidays - regardless of having a degree or not.

8. 3 Thanks to localzuk:

Flakes (5th July 2010), j17sparky (4th July 2010), nephilim (3rd July 2010)

theeldergeek

I'd do all that, and more, for 22k a year! I'm an ICT Technician, skilled in a huge array of different technologies but I earn less than 20k a year, and spend much of my own time 'working' in one respect or another. I might not be "qualified" per se, but my skills are just as valuable to industry and in particular, education.

Teachers are paid excessively for what they do in my opinion, particularly those at more 'senior' levels.

And it infuriates me to hear teachers complaining they can't afford this, that or something else when my wife and I are surviving on a joint income which, in some cases, is less than a single 'qualified' teacher earns!
    Last edited by theeldergeek; 3rd July 2010 at 01:57 PM.

10. 4 Thanks to theeldergeek:

ButterflyMoon (4th July 2010), fafster (5th July 2010), Flakes (5th July 2010), RSoP_Robbers (4th July 2010)

Thank Post
    Not been in been in one of our local schools then!

Presumably there's a reason why we're not all teachers then if the salary is so good

Thank Post
    Spend much of my own time 'working' in one respect or another.
    and teachers don't I assume?
    Quote Originally Posted by theeldergeek View Post
    I might not be "qualified" per se, but my skills are just as valuable to industry and in particular, education.
    Schools survived without IT and could at a push again (although it wouldn't be a very good school)
    Quote Originally Posted by theeldergeek View Post
    Teachers are paid excessively for what they do in my opinion, particularly those at more 'senior' levels.
    No there not I think they are paid just about right.... some senior IT positions are paid excessivily well, just like in all prefessions the higher up the ladder the more pay you get.

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by mossj View Post
    and teachers don't I assume?
    Assume what you like. I never said they do, or don't.

Schools survived without IT and could at a push again (although it wouldn't be a very good school)
    Sorry, but I'm not entirely sure what point you are making, but if it's the one I think you are making, you are being wholly unrealistic.

I should just pack up and go then should I, my job is really quite unnecessary after all?

No there not I think they are paid just about right.... some senior IT positions are paid excessivily well, just like in all prefessions the higher up the ladder the more pay you get.
    Well, I don't expect you to agree with me over teachers pay any more than I do your political views, however, I've yet to meet anyone 'senior' in IT who is "paid excessively" that isn't actually worth it and gets 13 weeks holiday a year.
    Last edited by theeldergeek; 3rd July 2010 at 02:57 PM.

14. Thanks to theeldergeek from:

speckytecky (3rd July 2010)

theeldergeek
    Not been in been in one of our local schools then!

Presumably there's a reason why we're not all teachers then if the salary is so good
    No, I haven't been in one of your local schools, why would I?

I wouldn't want to be a teacher, much the same as teachers wouldn't want to be ICT Technicians.

What point were you making?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Starting pay is bad? Shocker... All jobs start on 'low' pay. How many careers do you know of which go up by almost £10k in 5 years? If he's only getting 1 PPA session a week, then the school is breaking his contract (teachers are entitled to an amount not less than 10% of timetabled teaching time as PPA time).

I agree with webman - teachers have priced themselves out of jobs and work. Why do you think most schools are so keen on hiring NQTs? They're cheaper than hiring someone with a couple years experience!
    I totally agree there.

It might be worth pointing out that firefighters do longer days sometimes 16+ hours. Plus the job is dangerous. Also take into account the holidays a teacher has.

Really paying back the degree isnt a good argument. When your son decided to be a teacher he already knew he would have a degree to pay for. A degree isn't mandatory for good pay. There are plenty of well paid jobs, better than teachers that don't require a degree. A plumber is an example. When your son decided to become a teacher he would already know what the pay is and what to expect.
    Last edited by FN-GM; 3rd July 2010 at 03:22 PM.

Thank Post
    Getting back to the original topic ... Many headteachers are using "members of the wider school workforce" to take classes. Many headteachers are employing NQTs, the teaching profession would eventually become extinct if not.

Way back in the mists of political rhetoric someone suggested that more adults in the classroom would be a good thing. It was predicted that these other adults would in time take over from teachers. The teaching unions objected, as did the wider school workforce unions. Parents didn't like the idea of their children being taught by non-qualified people. However, over time these objections have somehow been forgotten all in the cause of economy. Cut budgets and that's what happens.

Thank Post
    over time these objections have somehow been forgotten
    You think? Not by a single parents I can think of from Sprogette's Primary class where Teacher is the DH and the amount of time the class are abandoned to TAs has been a serious bone of contention all year.

More generally you wouldn't need so much TA help at that level if there hadn't been the political mandates to a) Be unrealistically exclusive i.e. leave some seriously disruptive kids in classes (which in many cases significantly undermines everyone else's education even with a TA around to help keep them in check), b) Be unrealistically differential i.e. expect Teacher to magically tailor every lesson to every kid's unique learning capability.

Teachers and their unions have priced themselves out of jobs and work, with silly salaries and "non-contact time".
    Again coz I live with one and know very well what the real scale of her job is I definitely don't agree with that either. Yes some Teachers do get away with doing a fraction of the job the ought to do (and whose fault is it for letting that happen and how much are they paid to stop it happening?), but you can not extrapolate that to all Teachers.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast