+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Car Dilemma in General; ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Car Dilemma

Good people of Edugeek I have a dilemma- to fill you in on the background, my lovely little Corsa died a painful death on a duel carriageway last week; cam belt went going 70mph and has mangled all 6 valves. So after a police rescue and a expensive recovery Iím on the hunt for a new motor, this is where the dilemma comes in...

Basically for insurance, cost and MPG I'm having to put the Buccati Veyron on hold for a while and so been looking at some lower end coupes. The issue is that the main one Iím coming back to is the Ford Puma... so my question to you all is whether this is an out and out womanís car or whether I can survive driving one with my dignity and reputation intact?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark

rad
    Thank Post
    There must be others on the list other than that one, what is the budget and what are you looking for engine and MPG wise.

The Puma is old and finding a nice one might be a little tricky (plus one of my mates had one that suffered from the electrical fault = fire engines etc)

Thank Post
    You are really classing the Puma as a coupe? Admittedly, it meets the low end criteria

From someone that likes his coupes, you might want to start looking at German and Scandanavian cars

Thank Post
    It's not a Ford KA so it's all good.

I hate those heaps, nothing screams "I'm a namby pamby" and "I'm also a useless driver" to me more than a Ford KA..

Thank Post
    How much did you want to spend? There was an item on yahoo yesterday about the top ten most reliable used cars for £3000. Top 10 reliable used cars for £3,000 - Yahoo! Cars

6. 2 Thanks to laserblazer:

CPLTD (30th June 2010), tech_guy (30th June 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Coupes?

Two-door screamers?

And you say "Puma"?

That would be akin to Coupe Lite! If you're talking proper coupes, then you have to look at a Ford Probe, VW Scirrocco, Vauxhall Calibra, MR2 (Does say " I'm a hairdresser though!) or any car of similar ilk is what you want to get! (But, that IS only the opinion of a 41 year old!!!)

Depending on how old you are......You could go back to a decent 2.8i Capri, and go all retro on our a**!!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarconia View Post
    I hate those heaps, nothing screams "I'm a namby pamby" and "I'm also a useless driver" to me more than a Ford KA..
    There was one of those that used to drive around my area and the owner had customized it by getting a hold of another Ka badge and sticking it on after the first one re branding it a Ford KaKa.

I'm not sure if kaka is a local colloquialism or not but just in case it is it means excrement.

Thank Post
    the puma is basically a mk4 fiesta in a frock (and assuming you dont go for a 1.4) actually quite nippy. The 1.7 (best engine though 1.6 isnt bad but only on later ones) and can do 40+ mpg IF you keep the revs down and dont use the variable cam timing all the time. It is a nice car but if you are tall (and im 6ftish but have proportionally short legs and a long back) its a pain i found going round corners i banged my head on the door. Boot is huge seats are comfy it goes well. As said is a fiesta so parts (except a few engine bits on the 1.7 and body panels) are easy to come by and cheap. I wouldnt regret buying one and if it wasnt for banging my head against the door i would. Suspension is stiff and you'd expect but not uncomfortably so. They are prone to rust around the rear arches/fuel filler cap iirc. If your budget stretches go for a late model puma thunder good spec and new as you are going to get. Unless you do a very limited milage i wouldnt look at the ford racing version that is a pig to get parts for and need brakes servicing often

Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    Coupes?

Two-door screamers?

And you say "Puma"?

That would be akin to Coupe Lite! If you're talking proper coupes, then you have to look at a Ford Probe, VW Scirrocco, Vauxhall Calibra, MR2 (Does say " I'm a hairdresser though!) or any car of similar ilk is what you want to get! (But, that IS only the opinion of a 41 year old!!!)

Depending on how old you are......You could go back to a decent 2.8i Capri, and go all retro on our a**!!!
    proper coupe a ford probe pmsl its a mazda nobody wanted iirc. and most capris are now justy rust heaps or cost a fortune

Thank Post
    I might get shot for this... i had an Astra Coupe which did me sound for a good couple of years. Was a 1.8 on a W plate, and a lovely fairly rare shade of blue.
    You can get those in a 1.6 which are too sluggish, a 1.8 which was pretty good for the car, about 130bhp i think, unmolested, and was the most i could afford on insurance at 18years of age. You can also get the 2.0 turbo version which is the lump out of the GSi iirc. The only thing to watch out for on those were the headgaskets, if someones ragged it around a bit the head gasket would be known to go. Mine had done about 45k when i got it and 70k when i sold it, i had the timing belt done while i had it and serviced it myself twice, no problems with it otherwise. I remember it feeling fairly spoty because of the 1.8 and the cream clocks, and although the seats weren't buckets they wrapped around quite a bit and were dead comfy. The seats were low and the center console was high in comparison to the seats which made it feel lower.

For example:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2000-VAUXHALL-...item19bd753013
    Last edited by michael2k6; 30th June 2010 at 12:34 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Budget is realistically £2.5k and downwards, as for engine anything up to a 2 litre (had a look at insurance for a 2.5l BMW 323i- ouch!) and MPG in all honesty not too fussed about it; mileage is greatly reduced as I live 3 miles from work nowadays rather than 20 in the past!

Ric- what sort of thing springs to mind on the German/ Scandinavian front? Scriocco's jump out but most I'm coming across have been to the moon and back in terms of mileage...

Cracking input Sted, cheers for that- and for once in my life making me happy that I'm 5'10- no headbanging for me!

michael2k6- I'd looked at some of the Astra Coupe's but had been struggling to find one with less than 100k on the clock, 130 brake sounds like it could be fun though...

Also I'm in total agreement on the Ka though this particular advert did make me chuckle (NSFW or animal lovers):
    YouTube - Ford's Evil Twin Commercials - Back to Back!

Thanks,

Mark

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    After many problems a friend has had with a ford, i wouldn't touch them. I would go for a German or Japaneses car. They are very reliable.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 731 Posts
    If you can see past the badge 3K will get you an 02/03 HYUNDAI Coupe 2.7 V6

Thank Post
    I had a tigra, which like the puma is a hairdressers car, but tbh although it was basically a corsa it was lovely!

I've got a megane convertible, one of the old, old models at the moment, my son's got the coupe version, both would fall into your price range and are decent cars to drive and own.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    Peugeot 406 Coupes are in your price range.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    After many problems a friend has had with a ford, i wouldn't touch them. I would go for a German or Japaneses car. They are very reliable.
    I've got a mondeo estate with 160K on the clock, had some gearbox / flywheel work done that was expensive but that was the first time in it's history at about 145k ! Other than that its been ok, think I am starting to reach the end of its useful life now, can't be worth much and don't want a big repair bill!

I'd look at Volvos or Saabs possibly, high mileage isn't a problem if you have some good service history plus they don't tend to attract the price premium that BMWs / Audis / Mercedes do.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast