+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, How Much - Loft Conversion, ish? in General; Originally Posted by bertster to proper strengthen the floor you need to install additional joists running across the current ones, ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bertster View Post
    to proper strengthen the floor you need to install additional joists running across the current ones, which will be there to hold up the ceiling of the room below
    You don't have to reinforce the joists. Some houses will already have joists strong enough and close enough to take a loft extension (by building regs)

Thank Post
    Let us be clear:- You MAY need to reinforce the structure. This depends ENTIRELY on what the structure is now, what the spans are and what you intend to do with the space. No one can give proper advice without seeing what is there, and checking the design against either the Regs or an engineer's solution.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    You don't have to reinforce the joists. Some houses will already have joists strong enough and close enough to take a loft extension (by building regs)
    Afraid you do hightower - if you are going along the proper building regs route. The new joists must run across the current ones (at right angles).

-28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bertster View Post
    to proper strengthen the floor you need to install additional joists running across the current ones, which will be there to hold up the ceiling of the room below. This takes up roof space and can render a loft area unusable due to loss of height.
    Unless the existing joists are strong enough to hold up the added weight, in which case you wouldn't need extra joists, this is the quickest way to bring your ceiling a lot closer to floor below, quickly followed by the roof.

Thank Post
    @bertster Really? I don't think so! Joists span walls, not free air. You may need to add depth to the existing joist, you may need to double up the joists... You need someone who KNOWS to look at what you've got.

-28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    The building trade is like IT, a lot of money can be made putting right what the 'I know how to do that' practitioner has messed up. I have been in both professions.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post
    you cant claim it as living space but can claim it as an office, will always add value!
    This is not correct a office is classed as a living space but you will be able to claim its a storage space. A storage space will add a little to the value but not much. When I was looking for a house last time I looked at a house with a loft that had been privately converted but did not pass the regulations as the floor had not been strengthened and I it was in the description converted into a office and bathroom. When I had it survered. The report came back that it was just storage space as it would not pass the regulations and that the property had been incorrectly advertised and it was at least 22000 over priced due the the incorrect information.

Richard

Thank Post
    price will depend mainly on your current roof truss type as said previously if its a tricky one youll be talking 20k if its the more ideal type for conversions 5-10k maybe, If I was having a loft conversion id get a builder just to do the structural work then i'd do the boarding ect myself to cut costs as im a tight B like that lol and its helps my GF'd dad is a joiner

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12