+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Why..Why...why... in General; I have moved the AUPs in our school by having it accepted into their contracts with the unions backing. I ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 759 Posts

Re: Why..Why...why...

I have moved the AUPs in our school by having it accepted into their contracts with the unions backing. I have now shot to the top of the "in crowd person" with whom to be very associated with. In short it states that any person who breaches this AUP by whatever measures can and will feel the wrath of the headteacher and or police, and they could end up in court under the data protection and misuse of computer acts.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post

I can beat you all, the previous person who'd done my job had told all the heads of dep the admin password to make things easier for him, and they'd subsiquently passed it onto their teachers without him knowing. I didn't know this and didn't bother changing the admin password since there was so much else to do (assumed it was secure)

Some time during the year, one of the teachers gave the kids the admin password to use the admin account (i assume because they had forgotten their password.)
    Queue all the kids knowing the password and going around deleting eachothers work.

Thank Post

Another problem we've had is that they choose the most easy to guess passwords. If we try and set any complexity settings, or change password after period of time settings we get complaints that they cant remember their password. Normally i would respond with tough, but when it comes from the head, the bursar, etc. it gets very frustrating. Usefully when i need to log on as the user to test something on their laptop though, just a case of what's their son/daughters name? Ah yes.....

I'm so tempted to ask a group of students to do a "social studies" questionnaire asking: Name, Place of birth, date of birth, number of children, names of children, names of pets, partner/spouses name, maybe even include mothers maiden name if they said they were going to produce a family tree for them. Then use given passwords to check log-ons, and then name and shame in briefing, highlighting that they'd just given students almost all the details they need to open up bank accounts, commit fraud, etc, let alone just log on as them.

Thank Post

Bossman, any chance I could "Borrow" a copy of your AUP as our is well.... crap.

Thank Post

We are having a similar problem over here in my school.
    Before last year, there was not really any type of AUP for the staff at all. They all complained when we implemented the policy. After awhile they just started ignoring it. One of the staff somehow discovered our domain admin password and started giving it to students to use if they forgot their passwords Talk about problems! Both students and staff installed so much junk on all the computers, we ended up having to reimage almost all of our pcs (which is only about 40, but still...)

This year, we made the AUP much stricter. Our AUP is two pages long, plus an additional page for the agreement form. If anyone wants to see ours, let me know. Ours still needs work, but seems to be moving in the right direction.

We told some of the teachers who had been sharing their password with students that our new "security system" had detected a security breach with their account, so they must choose a new password to use the computer. Now if we can only convince them to not write their passwords on post-it notes stuck to the computer screen.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Lee_K_81
    or change password after period of time settings we get complaints that they cant remember their password.
    Yeah....odd that they can remember their Cashpoint card number, but cant remember their personal password. Merely goes to show how much they think the password matters I suppose

Thank Post

Would be interested to have a read of your AUP Claridentech, I have PM'ed you my email addy, would love a copy of it if possible?

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post

We don't have an AUP here atm, been trying to get something sorted, but I don't have the time to do it (and i'm not exactly paid to do that sort of work)

Thank Post

We had a few problems like this as well, we set the staff to change passwords at next logon and thought we would be ok..........! But what chance have you got when a teacher uses their initials, (yes just two of them i.e AB)

Kids clocked what he was doing when logging on and then started logging on as him and he wondered why his work ket going missing?

You say teachers are dumb? not allow them but some do take the biscuit. (L

Thank Post

Maybe two factor athuntication methods required....!

Wikipedia on Two Factor Authentication

However it tends to be a tad expensive! So methiks you'll see pigs fly first!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jake
    Would be interested to have a read of your AUP Claridentech, I have PM'ed you my email addy, would love a copy of it if possible?
    No problem, I emailed them to you.

Thank Post

Much appreciated ! , gave them a quick glance over, they look good. Very professional looking, will give them a better read when I get a quiet moment

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information