+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, How much will I be paid for this consultancy work? in General; But you wouldn't have the insight or working knowledge of how it all works (or doesn't). Isn't it best to ...
    Thank Post
    But you wouldn't have the insight or working knowledge of how it all works (or doesn't). Isn't it best to get feedback from those in the system that can see the good practice and failures? You wouldn't get anything productive out of some bloke from down the street with no expertise in your business who marches in your office and tells you how to run things.

All of this should be fed back anyway via good practice forums. It doesn't need more public expenditure and setting up a team, who are likely to be paid far more than those suggesting the ideas in the first place. It's going to cost more money in the long run and more cushy jobs for the cronies Dave and Nick get to manage it.

Thank Post
    Speak to your MP then. That is what they are for. Or use the site in the OP, I don't know if it checks who you are I imagine this has gone to all public sector peeps as they can get their addresses and the cuts will be effecting them directly so have an incentive to find savings.
    Also this is technically the same as if your employer sent out a letter to all employees asking if they had ideas to save money. You don't send them to customers as well even though the ideas may effect them.

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    It's all a load of PR.... and I don't mean Proportional Representation.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    Possibly true, but that wasn't my point. What I want to know is who I talk to about the money my local council is wasting, or the money which I believe state schools or the NHS are wasting. I don't see why the fact I'm not publicly-employed means I don't get to suggest such cost-savings, but you do; after all, these services are funded from taxation, and I'm paying that just like you are (in fact, since I'm apparently on a comfy private salary with perks, I'm actually contributing more to them than you are!).
    See your local councillors and MP. They should all have surgeries where you can drop in and see them. The council often have open meetings where you lodge what you want to talk about before hand and they will allow you to come and talk to the whole lot of them. Write a letter to the departments concerned. Make a facebook group. Start a campaign.

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    See your local councillors and MP. They should all have surgeries where you can drop in and see them. The council often have open meetings where you lodge what you want to talk about before hand and they will allow you to come and talk to the whole lot of them. Write a letter to the departments concerned. Make a facebook group. Start a campaign.
    You are right, all the mechanisms are already in place, this is just duplication. Oooh, I have a suggestion...... Stop Duplication. Stop Duplication.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MbroTech View Post
    But you wouldn't have the insight or working knowledge of how it all works (or doesn't). Isn't it best to get feedback from those in the system that can see the good practice and failures?
    By and large, I would agree with that, but sometimes it is only the customers who see the failures, unnecessary levels of bureaucracy or duplication of work.

An example for you, albeit a very petty one. Due to some confusion in Royal Mail somewhere, the post box near my house is emptied at 2pm and 4pm, despite being scheduled for a 3pm collection. Now, I am sure that the 2pm postie has no idea of this and just thinks he's a bit early, and the 4pm one probably just thinks he's running late and it isn't used much; it is only those of us who live nearby and happen to see both collections who are aware of the error. Poor example (and not a public body!), I know, but it goes some way towards showing my point that where several people are involved in a process, they may not be aware of the duplication of work which is taking place elsewhere within the organisation.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    By and large, I would agree with that, but sometimes it is only the customers who see the failures, unnecessary levels of bureaucracy or duplication of work.

An example for you, albeit a very petty one. Due to some confusion in Royal Mail somewhere, the post box near my house is emptied at 2pm and 4pm, despite being scheduled for a 3pm collection. Now, I am sure that the 2pm postie has no idea of this and just thinks he's a bit early, and the 4pm one probably just thinks he's running late and it isn't used much; it is only those of us who live nearby and happen to see both collections who are aware of the error. Poor example (and not a public body!), I know, but it goes some way towards showing my point that where several people are involved in a process, they may not be aware of the duplication of work which is taking place elsewhere within the organisation.
    Knowing the post office they are both aware, have reported it to their managers but it would cost too much to redo the routes so they carry on. Or are happy with the route they are doing and know if they report it their whole route will be changed so leave it to the status quo. They are also awaiting the time and motion study on post box signs to replace the current sign with one showing both collections.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    They are also awaiting the time and motion study on post box signs to replace the current sign with one showing both collections.
    Were they a public body, I would believe that all too easily - and would then suggest changing it if I were invited to do so!

Thank Post
    some of the money spent on IT and web projects and on web projects as part of govt. communications seems quite silly.

Some senior public sector salaries are stupid. I don't as much mind the 70k a year headteachers if they're presence is improving schools.....but do we really need so many high salaried deputy heads and assistant heads or whatever the job titles are being described as.

Part of the problem as i see it is there's been a culture of 'this is how much we/you have to spend, how do we spend it'....instead of saying this is what we need to accomplish how much do we need to spend to deliver. Part of that is govt. setting it's priorities [and getting value for money from those priorities] and who better to advice than people who may know a thing or two about how much things cost and how much money is being wasted.

Yes, don't take money out of the economy. But that doesn't give you carte blanche to say all spending has it's merit so that's good enough reason to not cut. Sure lining some people's pockets very handsomely has merits, but it's a very narrow benefit and can in some cases attract the label of malinvestment. However much they want to cite reports that suggest they are making an x% improvment to whatever niche they are operating in. We have to have a debate about which niches really matter.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It is so funny to read some of the posts on here ... especially when people go on about democracy. We have petitions and focus groups to get our points over to politicians, we go and see our MPs in their surgeries to get them to take our cases up in the Commons (and many of them do), we go on rallies and marches to get the Govt to listen to us when we think they have bad ideas (poll tax, etc) and yet when they say, "c'mon ... give us your views and ideas!" you get people trooping up and having a whinge about "Why should we give them our ideas? Come up with your own!"

Is it just the they are not parties you would vote for? In which case is it that much different to the Number 10 petitions site?

Of course there is a massive element of PR and politics here ... and most people are savvy enough to know that ... the same way that people know that manifestos are there to give you a baseline of what the particular parties believe *at that point* ... it is just an MOT. Once you are past election it is only really usable as an indicator.

11. 3 Thanks to GrumbleDook:

enjay (26th June 2010), Martin (25th June 2010), PEO (25th June 2010)

Thank Post
    I think the topic is spot on.

Some LAs execs appear to have asked essentially the same free consultancy question - and these are people many of whom are paid over £200K per annum, presumably to be a genius who has brilliant ideas all day long. Well I say "execs" but I bet it was several folk at the top of a given pyramid put together, a combination of superior talent and mental power that should be able to move planets.

Sorry, but I really can't think of a more pertinent retort than "Why the [bleep] do you need my help?". These obscene public sector salaries matter, especially when the people on them are about to pee-off their staff and the public they serve in all sorts of interesting ways. Public sector fat-cat salaries should become embarrassing history... won't happen though will it?

PEO
    Thank Post
    I think this is an excellent opportunity. Im going to go away and think about this... Thank you for the link

Thank Post
    Apparently it goes out to the rest of the masses on July 8th, I'll definitely fill it in when my time comes as I think it excellent that the Government is doing this. There is no doubt tonnes of wastage in place, so looking for ways to cut those specifics is infinitely better than a blanket x% reduction in all spending, whether valid or wasteful.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We had ours sent out via our Chief Exec on Thursday ... individually and collectively our team has a variety of suggestions. Since I am very happy to share ideas and makes suggestions, and mine will be under a Public Domain CC licence.

16. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

PEO (27th June 2010)

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    This is what I wrote...
    Hear hear !!

18. Thanks to theeldergeek from:

nephilim (26th June 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast