+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, UK Drought? in General; As I type this I'm on a Pendalino somewhere in south Staffordshire en-route to London tehn Heathrow, and I've noticed ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,154 Times in 982 Posts
    Blog Entries

UK Drought?

As I type this I'm on a Pendalino somewhere in south Staffordshire en-route to London tehn Heathrow, and I've noticed a lot of dried up ponds and streams in the fields. I know we in Lancashire have had little or no rain since mid May, and several big lakes-resovoirs in Cumbria are running at about 60%. So what's the situation like in your neck of the wood? Damp or drought?

Thank Post
    We're served by Severn Trent and traditionally they have declared a drought if it hasn't rained for 2 minutes. However, I live about 5 minutes drive from the Lincolnshire border where I think they have Anglian water. I remember several years ago when ST had imposed a hosepipe ban and were also discussing other measures that they were considering introducing that Anglian made a statement along the lines of "if it stays like this for another 6 weeks then we may have to discuss the likelihood of a hosepipe ban"! Most in the area were of the opinion that ST should spend a portion of their profits on stopping leaks then we could be in the same position as our close neighbours...

Thank Post
    Been hearing on the news the the North West may be about tio get a hosepipe ban, and there have been loads of ads from United Utilities about conserving water!
    Apparently this is the longest dry spell since the 1920's!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    Yup I've heard that were risking a hosepipe ban Again if they fixed some leaks we would be much better off!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 794 Posts
    It always amazes me that we seem to have a hosepipe ban every time we have a dry couple of weeks, yet the Spaniards manage for a lot longer!

Thank Post
    Yeah have just seen that the North West maybe having a hosepipe ban... BBC News - Water company may impose hosepipe ban

Here in the Devon, SWW have said that it is unlikely that there will be a nice for a hosepipe ban BBC News - Summer hosepipe ban "unlikely" South West Water says

Thank Post
    I don't understand at all. So after the snow and one of the wettest winters they are saying there isn't enough water? Or the wrong kind? I know in our area there is a huge crack in the bottom of one of the reservoirs that isn't being fixed as it would cost a lot. But they keep putting prices up to try and get people to save water! Bets on management bonuses though? Grrrr, so annoyed I can't write more than simple sentences!!

Thank Post
    Well we used to have a shed load of industry which needed massive reservoirs. Thats all gone, but atleast we never have hosepipe bans

Thank Post
    Been bone dry here for sometime. Not heard any talk (yet) of restrictions.

Thank Post
    I believe that the North West gets hit first as most of it's reserves are in the form of surface stores (reservoirs) as opposed to the rest og the UK that uses ground water. FYI the Belmont res (Wards AKA Blue Lagoon is a private mill pond and not the water boards!)

Thank Post
    I was speaking with a friend the other night who works for the environment agency in the North West, he said it's pretty bad all staff are now banned from washing any work vehicles and a hosepipe ban is imminent apparently.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    It always amazes me that we seem to have a hosepipe ban every time we have a dry couple of weeks, yet the Spaniards manage for a lot longer!
    Tbf if I remember rightly Spain does have massive problems with water shortages in the hottest areas, they have to transport it over from another part of the country or abroad

Thank Post
    I believe Haweswater in the lake district was built to provide water for Manchester

Thank Post
    Its all tosh to me... Like it was said before, all that snow? And in the last 2 weeks we have had monsoon like downpours that lasted for hours (I was playing golf at the time - grrrr)

So I have a sneaky feeling that there is a lot of loss going somewhere.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    This is the first time in 14 years that a hosepipe ban has been considered for the North West (I could say it's all because the Tories are back; no hosepipe bans under Labour but that would be silly :-)) so it's hardly "every time we have a dry couple of weeks"

The big deal with the Spanish (and many other countries) is that they're more careful with their water - in the UK we wast vast quantities of it (and I'm not just talking about leaking pipes). I'm sure they do wash their cars but you see far fewer people out in the street with hoses washing down cars, for example.

Although some industrial usage has gone down, I think other use has gone up (how much water is needed to wash potatoes and carrots for the supermarkets, for example?)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information